PDA

View Full Version : Doing the timing belt Tonight. Any help??

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I've read through the tech articles on AW, I got all the tools, and parts( i think), done lots of DIY stuff, controll arms, wheel bearings fuel filters, suspension.....etc.

I got the ECS ultimate timing belt kit to install. Gonna do the coolant and waterpump stuff too. Got coolant by the way.

I'd just like to know if anyone here has used the tech articles on AW and if there are any other articles that may be of use...

Thanks in advance...

alen
09-21-2005, 08:19 AM
i used those tech articles and they're pretty much straightforward.

Ben@SpeedBarn
09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Yep it's pretty easy to follow the directions.

Have fun![:D]

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 09:24 AM
The one thing I was unsure about in the writups on AW was the marking for the cam and crank wheels. The author of the document made it sound like there should already be markings somewhere. I figured I'd just get in there, mark them the way they are, and make sure they stay the same after.

There is also a point of marking the timing belt, I don't understand why that is necessary if you are replacing the belt anyway.

Anything to add anyone?

TJHUB
09-21-2005, 09:35 AM
I placed marks on the pulleys and belt to be sure that I had the same number of teeth from cam pulley to crank pulley. That's what matters most, if you don't turn any of the pulleys. My cam and crank pulleys did not move easily, so keeping them in their original spots was easy.

It's time consuming, but overall a very easy job to do.

Good luck!

Daft
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
As long as you make sure to mark the crank and cam sprockets before you remove the old TB, you'll be ok.

Once you have the new TB and you've pulled the pin on the auto-tensioner, wait a few minutes for it to fully extend it's piston. Once you let it extend all the way out, rotate the motor by hand for at least 5 revolutions and rotate the crank back to the mark you made. Then check to see if the mark on the cam sprocket is still lined up. If it isn't you might be one stroke away from being lined up and you only have to rotate it one more time to get back on the marks.

If you've tried and tried to get it lined back up and it won't, you have to remove the auto-tensioner, re-pin it and re-align the marks and belt by hand. Then you'll re-install the auto-tensioner and try again.

Never put the engine back together until you can rotate it by hand and always get the timing marks to line up.

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks Daft, TJHUB, Ben and Alan. I guess I'll be ok. I'm usually a bit underconfident before I start a job that I've never done, but it doesn't take long for that to wear off. Doesn't matter how many DIYs I've done, I usually feel the need to be conserned.

TJHUB
09-21-2005, 12:41 PM
That just makes you smart. I get a little freaked everytime I'm doing something like this too. Not because I'm not capable, but more I don't want to miss something and screw up something simple. Complacency will get you every time.

Take your time and do what Daft said...

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
(Deep breath) ok TJHUB, I will.

Haha, I didn't mention that I'll be doing the Turbo, exhaust manifold, and hopefully engine mounts if I find some for a decent price in time, otherwise I will just do them after.

Either way I'm glad you understand my worries. Gotta stop buy the parts store on the way home. to Buy.

A set of torx sockets ( I have a set of bit bt half of those are missing now)
A set of Alen sockets ( I have an imperial set currently)
A 19 mm 12pt. socket (or set)

Labor Saved == ModMoneyEarned /ToolFundage

[:)]

diegomatrix
09-21-2005, 01:16 PM
take pics plz...
yea, i'm nervous for my tb replacement too....mine's coming up..

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Ok, I will. I just don't have anywhere to host them...For sure this will be fun.

The cool thing is that with a few writups, one can do the job and expand on it. I will do a writup for this. Give me a couple days though, I almost always have to go out and buy another tool first time I do a job. Oh well, I love tools. This time, I've done a lot of research for the job, I have a bentley, a VAG, a shitload of hand/power/Air tools compressors, jacks bla bla, but most importantly, and I'm not just talking shit here, I have you guys here on AZ. So many smart and so many borderline retarded too Lol!

Quattrocket
09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah, Dont do it!!!! just pay somebody. Such a PITA! mine took 2 weeks cuz I constantly got the wrong parts oh well.
not to mess with ya,but look at my car
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/3351uytgiuy.jpg
AHHHHHHH!!! it was so scary!. just messing with ya. If you get in a lot of trouble I could jet over there and help ya.

jent
09-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Yea not to much work, or hard just a lot of shit. BTW I don't think anyone said this but if someone did sorry to say it again. But you should mark the direction of rotation for the belt. Because if something goes wrong and you have to put the old belt back on (ie. the new belt is too small) and you put it on so it is spinning in the reverse direction you are almost garanteed to have a belt breackage. So it most likely wont matter, but it only takes a second and if you don't and something goes wrong you will be so pissed for not taking the two seconds. Just my .02

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Quattrocket
Yeah, Dont do it!!!! just pay somebody. Such a PITA! mine took 2 weeks cuz I constantly got the wrong parts oh well.
not to mess with ya,but look at my car
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/3351uytgiuy.jpg
AHHHHHHH!!! it was so scary!. just messing with ya. If you get in a lot of trouble I could jet over there and help ya.

haha, thanks man. I hope I won't have to need your help but I really appreciate that you got my back. Are you doing any DIY anytime soon?

RedRocket
09-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jent
Yea not to much work, or hard just a lot of shit. BTW I don't think anyone said this but if someone did sorry to say it again. But you should mark the direction of rotation for the belt. Because if something goes wrong and you have to put the old belt back on (ie. the new belt is too small) and you put it on so it is spinning in the reverse direction you are almost garanteed to have a belt breackage. So it most likely wont matter, but it only takes a second and if you don't and something goes wrong you will be so pissed for not taking the two seconds. Just my .02

No I don't think anyone mentioned that yet. It's a very good point. You actually answered one of my questions.

Originally posted by RedRocket
There is also a point of marking the timing belt, I don't understand why that is necessary if you are replacing the belt anyway.