PDA

View Full Version : RS5 Exhaust: Capristo vs Armytrix

patmusk
04-16-2015, 12:05 PM
I love the sound of both of these but between these two RS5 systems, which system sounds better in YOUR opinion?

Capristo vs Arytrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWvAbWw_pE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4HdKnVnoI

JamesRS5
04-16-2015, 12:13 PM
They both sound amazing but I think the Capristo wins on quality.

Jimmy ny
04-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I love my capristo. I keep only 1 valve open and it sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beast
04-16-2015, 04:37 PM
hmm I prefer the armytrix sound, but you can't beat the german build quality of capristo...

PEM
04-16-2015, 05:35 PM
I originally was all in on the Armytrix, but after some claims of power loss, I'm kind of leaning towards Capristo for my RS

jkownz
04-16-2015, 06:30 PM
after reading the last Armytrix exhaust thread and most saying negative remarks about the build quality, loss of HP with valves closed and customer service after you hand them your money, It has steered me away from Armytrix as a option. I most likely will go with Capristo. Sounds amazing and build quality is great.

patmusk
04-16-2015, 10:27 PM
+1 It's pretty clear with any research that Capristo has a far better build quality and reputation. I just wanted to gauge how members compared the sound.

I recently pulled the trigger on the Capristo system after researching the two. I do like the Armytrix sound also but won't risk $3700 on a sketchy reputation.

My NJ shop happened to have an RS5 with the Capristo system on it and allowed me to come and hear it in person. Easy choice after that. It's true that video does no justice.

PEM
04-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Did you pay the retail 4500 for that capristo??

patmusk
04-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Did you pay the retail 4500 for that capristo??

I payed $4500 USD (+ $100 freight). My shop installed at no charge.

jkownz
04-18-2015, 02:39 PM
I payed $4500 USD (+ $100 freight). My shop installed at no charge.

i would drive to jersey for free installs lol.

Johnhanson
04-18-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm with everyone else. I'm sure the Armytrix sounds better in real life as does the Capristo. You still do get a sense of the "AMG" more baritone sound of the Capristo from videos - just sounds 1000% better in real life. To me the Armytrix sounds like it would have the non-res DP sound of AWE track extreme (but with valves) or a hacked up straight-pipe/OEM hybrid system.

In the end Capristo has been on RS5s for 5 years on several continents and from what I have seen zero dissatisfied customers. Armytrix under a year and an underwhelming series of reviews.

I've had mine for five months and it still gives me the boners.

patmusk
04-19-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm with everyone else. I'm sure the Armytrix sounds better in real life as does the Capristo. You still do get a sense of the "AMG" more baritone sound of the Capristo from videos - just sounds 1000% better in real life. To me the Armytrix sounds like it would have the non-res DP sound of AWE track extreme (but with valves) or a hacked up straight-pipe/OEM hybrid system.

In the end Capristo has been on RS5s for 5 years on several continents and from what I have seen zero dissatisfied customers. Armytrix under a year and an underwhelming series of reviews.

I've had mine for five months and it still gives me the boners.

Well put.

patmusk
04-19-2015, 09:11 AM
i would drive to jersey for free installs lol.

Yea, that surprised me... but a great way to earn my business from here on out. Plenty of mods/services to come.

cpt.dz
05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
just got my capristo delivered yesterday, in the shop today for installation, guys here charge around 260$ for that. I read about armytrix's power loss too and that steered me away. capristo was (i think) the best choice.

patmusk
05-20-2015, 06:48 PM
just got my capristo delivered yesterday, in the shop today for installation, guys here charge around 260$ for that. I read about armytrix's power loss too and that steered me away. capristo was (i think) the best choice.

You are going to LOVE this system.

- Pat

cpt.dz
05-20-2015, 06:54 PM
You are going to LOVE this system.

- Pat

Hope So.. it's kinda my first upgrade on an audi.. i had 3.. a q7 (didnt really like) and an a5 2.0 (massively underpowered) AND THIS BABY .. this baby kinda pushed me to go crazy with it .. posting pix of her in a couple of minutes.

Skywagon
05-20-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm told by some reputable people that the Capristo may cause a power loss too. I'm trying to contact JHMs manufacturer of their exhaust, http://www.fastintentions.com/, to see if the S5 4.2 V8 system would possibly fit the RS5. J HM designs their system for performance as well as sound. Of course the S5 doesn't have "Sport" exhaust valve system some RS5s came with further compounding the problem. I'd love some more noise too but not at the cost of performance. Check the diameter of the systems you may purchase. A stock RS5 exhaust is 2.5 inches in diameter. I've had Miltek too, good product.

patmusk
05-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Haven't dyno'd the car yet but Capristo definitely feels like it adds power. Also I believe there are many owners who have posted these increases.

- Pat

Skywagon
05-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Haven't dyno'd the car yet but Capristo definitely feels like it adds power. Also I believe there are many owners who have posted these increases.

- Pat

Would you by chance know the diameter of the Capistro exhaust plumbing? Thanks.

Diamond Dog
05-21-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm told by some reputable people that the Capristo may cause a power loss too. I'm trying to contact JHMs manufacturer of their exhaust, http://www.fastintentions.com/, to see if the S5 4.2 V8 system would possibly fit the RS5. J HM designs their system for performance as well as sound. Of course the S5 doesn't have "Sport" exhaust valve system some RS5s came with further compounding the problem. I'd love some more noise too but not at the cost of performance. Check the diameter of the systems you may purchase. A stock RS5 exhaust is 2.5 inches in diameter. I've had Miltek too, good product.

I went with FI and could not be happier. They were very helpful and the exhaust is great quality and a great price. Here is a link to video of my exhaust vs a stock one. It sounds much better in real life than the video

Highly recommend this company

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/645742-My-New-Fast-Inentions-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Non-Resonated-with-X-Pipe-My-Build

cpt.dz
05-22-2015, 07:40 PM
got the car back yesterday.. MMI stayed OFF .. capristo is AMAZING..

patmusk
05-22-2015, 08:07 PM

Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. Enjoy it.

- Pat

ttusqrl
05-22-2015, 10:28 PM

Jealous

GotRS?
05-24-2015, 09:58 PM
Very tempted by the Capristo, but what's the "optional Capristo control unit"? Looks like too much option, anyone here have it?

Skywagon
05-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Very tempted by the Capristo, but what's the "optional Capristo control unit"? Looks like too much option, anyone here have it?

If you have the optional switchable "Sport "exhaust on your RS5 you don't need the Capristo control unit. There is a rotating valve on the tip of the stock muffler as well as the Capristo to increase/decrease the sound of the car. See below picture, right rear exhaust, stock RS5, valve open. The stock RS5 has 2.5 inch diameter pipes. Make sure Capristo's is at least the same size or you may lose power?

http://i.imgur.com/3PAtqcd.jpg

GotRS?
05-25-2015, 01:38 PM
That's what I thought until I read down their description further...
"The programmable control unit features an illuminated display showing all functions in plain text in three different languages"

Skywagon
05-25-2015, 04:42 PM
That's what I thought until I read down their description further...
"The programmable control unit features an illuminated display showing all functions in plain text in three different languages"

I assume you are referring to Capristos system correct? The stock "Sport"system will control the Capristo system as well. Therefore no Capristo controller is needed unless you don't have the stock Audi Sport exhaust.

patmusk
05-25-2015, 07:30 PM
The controller is not needed on the RS5 but it does provide further control. There are threads that explain this in detail. For me, it wasn't worth the extra cost.

- Pat

Skywagon
05-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Does anybody with a Capristo exhaust know the OD of it's tubing. Thanks

patmusk
05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Does anybody with a Capristo exhaust know the OD of it's tubing. Thanks

I just measured it. 3 inches.

- Pat

Skywagon
05-27-2015, 07:40 AM
I just measured it. 3 inches.

- Pat

Pat, thanks. Thats good! I just read somewhere that Mileks is 2.37? Not good, thanks again.

patmusk
05-27-2015, 08:36 AM
For those not sold on the Capristo system, locate someone nearby you that has one and ask to listen in person. Also consider the build quality, which is far better than the other systems that I compared.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7790/17539182654_6c1251efb3_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/sHSTWW)

sshah
05-30-2015, 10:21 AM
after reading the last Armytrix exhaust thread and most saying negative remarks about the build quality, loss of HP with valves closed and customer service after you hand them your money, It has steered me away from Armytrix as a option. I most likely will go with Capristo. Sounds amazing and build quality is great.

Hey all, I am falling in love deeper with armytrix sound. Is all the feedback negative about the system? I am only seeing one person say the same thing on the other thread and have seen good reciews on there other systems for other Audis.

Basically that f1 sound has me mesmerized. Any non power loss and good feedback?

patmusk
05-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Hey all, I am falling in love deeper with armytrix sound. Is all the feedback negative about the system? I am only seeing one person say the same thing on the other thread and have seen good reciews on there other systems for other Audis.

Basically that f1 sound has me mesmerized. Any non power loss and good feedback?

I'm with you on that F1 sound. I had a very hard time finding great feedback from a non-armytrix source. Then with all the customer service and build quality questions... made the decision easier. Look outside the Audi forums and you'll still find more issues.

- Pat

SeattleGrey
06-14-2015, 05:37 PM
I have had the Capristo for three months and really appreciate the lack of drone/resonance at typical cruising speeds. The seem to have paid attention to that in the tuning. At 81 mph, when the aerodynamics start working, the car is noticeably quieter and the exhaust follows that logic.

With the valves open the RS5 sounds like a Pro Street Camaro. I recently had a Fed Ex truck blocking my parking space and all I had to do was open the valves and rev it a few times to set off his car alarm and bring him downstairs to move the truck. Pretty handy feature!

The Capristo reveals this car for what it is without being garish. It kind of changes it from a stock, Gin and Tonic personality to more of a Whisky with a Long Neck back demeanor...

jkownz
06-14-2015, 05:54 PM
I have had the Capristo for three months and really appreciate the lack of drone/resonance at typical cruising speeds. The seem to have paid attention to that in the tuning. At 81 mph, when the aerodynamics start working, the car is noticeably quieter and the exhaust follows that logic.

With the valves open the RS5 sounds like a Pro Street Camaro. I recently had a Fed Ex truck blocking my parking space and all I had to do was open the valves and rev it a few times to set off his car alarm and bring him downstairs to move the truck. Pretty handy feature!

The Capristo reveals this car for what it is without being garish. It kind of changes it from a stock, Gin and Tonic personality to more of a Whisky with a Long Neck back demeanor...
Well put. I'm in love with mine and only owned it for few weeks now. Looking forward to hearing it when fully broken in.

Beast
06-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Next best thing, armytrix sound with capristo german build quality. HMS Exhaust. Seriously considering this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP7ZG_4obIM

DCDJ
07-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Hey guys, I've just ordered a Capristo for my RS5 due to the fact that it seems to be the most popular and recommended choice of exhaust + build quality is immense compared to Armytrix. The RS5 isn't a loud car to start with, so I'm after something a little louder (AMG/iPE sort of volume) and I do want a great quality exhaust, however I've never actually heard a Capristo in real life (not many demo installations here in the UK) so I purchased this purely on customer reviews and YouTube videos... but after hearing some of the videos of the RS5 Capristo installations compared to *newer* RS5 Armytrix installations, I'm slightly worried that the Capristo isn't going to be loud enough? Is it really that much louder than RS5 stock sports exhaust? Would I be wrong in assuming this? Please do let me know if I'm being really naive here.

There seems to be a massive volume difference between the two... obviously with the Capristo winning on the quality front but the Armytrix absolutely murdering the decibel range. The Capristo sounds amazing in the videos but I just get the feeling that Armytrix really does throw out a massive, massive sound compared to the RS5 stock sports exhaust, which is not very loud in the first place, and I'm hoping that Capristo is at least a bit louder than that... I've been around some AMG iPE installations and damn they're loud..

Anyone who's heard an RS5 Capristo exhaust in real life that can put me at ease here?? starting to think its not going to satisfy my craving for a slightly louder/more aggressive exhaust!!!

Jimmy ny
07-23-2015, 04:10 PM
Valve closed. Louder outside. Not really inside. Valve open. Sounds great. Regular driving it sounds great in and out. When you jump on it and the car revs it's awesome. You won't be disappointed.

Tpca789
11-07-2015, 10:48 AM
anyone in the Toronto area have experience/recommendations re Capristo install?

Beast
11-07-2015, 11:01 AM
anyone in the Toronto area have experience/recommendations re Capristo install?

Pfaff tuning in Woodbridge (authorized capristo installer) or Eurocharged Canada in Toronto

catmr
11-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Just be carefull, I think the first video of the Capristo has a modified center resonator, probably an X-pipe (in the description when you watch the video on youtube)

For the HMS exhaust, do you know if the RS5 from Pfaff also has the X-Pipe? I would be curious to hear the rear section only!

I love the sound of both of these but between these two RS5 systems, which system sounds better in YOUR opinion?

Capristo vs Arytrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWvAbWw_pE

Optiondoc
11-14-2015, 07:35 AM
Anyone dyno these systems before? Good lord, that armytrix sound is enough to make me not care about customer service

jkownz
11-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Anyone dyno these systems before? Good lord, that armytrix sound is enough to make me not care about customer service

Not just the customer service dig deeper. Dyno runs reported restrictions and less hp and torque. I mean I'm not certain those statments are true and whatnot but I would not risk it on a 75k+ car. I stuck with Capristo and sleep good at night. Lol I even see them even post videos of there systems not even on people's car.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Beast
11-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Just be carefull, I think the first video of the Capristo has a modified center resonator, probably an X-pipe (in the description when you watch the video on youtube)

For the HMS exhaust, do you know if the RS5 from Pfaff also has the X-Pipe? I would be curious to hear the rear section only!

the HMS from Pfaff had the full exhaust with xpipe. In person it was amazing!

greenturbo
11-14-2015, 09:07 AM

Damn.

Sent from my giant phone

Optiondoc
11-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Has the capristo ever been put in a dyno vs stock?

Leavinu
12-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Has the capristo ever been put in a dyno vs stock?

From my research it doesn't appear anyone dyno test anything after purchase. All the claims are purely from the vendors. [:/]

Johnhanson
12-03-2015, 05:52 PM
I just assume my Capristo adds as much power as putting decals on. It's all about the noise for me. Any power gains are purely a bonus.

patmusk
12-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Can't vouch for the actual HP numbers but I tracked (1/4mile) the car before/after plenty and there was an improvement of 0.25s. The improvement in sound was 100,000.25.

Beast
12-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Can't vouch for the actual HP numbers but I tracked (1/4mile) the car before/after plenty and there was an improvement of 0.25s. The improvement in sound was 100,000.25.

which is the only thing that matters imo :D

Johnhanson
12-06-2015, 10:41 AM

Interesting. Any track vets (yourself included) able to ballpark what that time would roughly translate to hp gain?

Also what units are you using for sound improvement? Dingle tingles? Hairs raised?

patmusk
12-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Interesting. Any track vets (yourself included) able to ballpark what that time would roughly translate to hp gain?

Also what units are you using for sound improvement? Dingle tingles? Hairs raised?

The formula for sound factor = the sum of pedestrian reactions + other driver reactions x driver reaction, (per tank of fuel).

A4toRS4
01-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Anyone know how loud the Armytrix exhaust is with the valves closed? I only ask because I am looking at purchasing an RS5 and found one with that exhaust but it would be my daily driver. If I bought an RS5 without the exhaust, this is the exhaust I am considering. Love the sound but want to make sure with the valves closed that it suitable for daily driving and no drone.

Beast
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Anyone know how loud the Armytrix exhaust is with the valves closed? I only ask because I am looking at purchasing an RS5 and found one with that exhaust but it would be my daily driver. If I bought an RS5 without the exhaust, this is the exhaust I am considering. Love the sound but want to make sure with the valves closed that it suitable for daily driving and no drone.

no problem I will ship my stock sports exhaust to you and you send me the armytrix. Deal

Rshane
01-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Between those two, I would go with Capristo. Personally, I am setting aside for an Akrapovic Evolution. I loved it on my M3, and the sound clips are pretty good on the RS5.

adbender
01-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Between those two, I would go with Capristo. Personally, I am setting aside for an Akrapovic Evolution. I loved it on my M3, and the sound clips are pretty good on the RS5.
Akrapovic transforms the 4.0t but seems subdude on the RS5 clips.

Never heard it in person though. Fit and finish is a step above.

cmoore86
01-22-2016, 06:27 PM
I have the Akropovic on my RS5 and I love it. Had to match it with Non Resonated downpipes though as it was too quiet for me. But now its perfect. I have a clip or two if anyone wants to hear

Johnhanson
01-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Who would want to hear that?

.....please

Gonzoe11
01-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Who would want to hear that?

.....please

+1. Me too.

Beast
01-22-2016, 09:43 PM
he already posted up a youtube vid on another thread, sounds insane!

cmoore86
01-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Here is what I have for now. Im going to see if I can get something better tomorrow

https://youtu.be/D2LAw1QGq7w

A couple parking garage revs After Eventuri Intake install

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt81/deus119/th_IMG_1305.mp4 (http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt81/deus119/IMG_1305.mp4)

Gonzoe11
01-23-2016, 07:01 AM
@cmoore86. Sounds great. Nice deep tone. I like the sound better than Capristo but haven't heard either one in person. How's the sound in the cabin?

Mops@Nemesis
01-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Sounds fantastic, Conor [drool]

jokingjimmy
01-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Local hereby has Capristo. Can't give a comparison, but Capristo sounds amazing in person on the RS5. He'll probably be at the February 13th Jacksonville meet, lol.

xquizit
01-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Can't wait to hear it Jimmy. Because that Akropovic sounded amazing.

Johnhanson
01-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I don't think anybody has ever been unhappy with either. Only compliant I've heard with akra is the volume is a little low but the sound quality is great - clearly this has been solved by straight pipes. I can see the akra holding its value better if you were to part out due to the better materials and rarity.

I'm happy with my bargain basement capristo.

Either way adding an intake is now a must. Help make the world a better place.

pilguybrandon
03-19-2016, 07:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0T71QyC894

This is my Capristo. I love it. Sounds amazing when the car is passing you.