PDA

View Full Version : My new suspension

lude2euroa4
09-20-2005, 09:58 AM
I just purchased a set of FK Konigsport Coilovers... these are the ones with the adjustable height and stiffness, my question to you gents is if i decide to lower/raise the car multiple times in the year does that mean i need to get a new alignment everytime?

say i raise the car for winter and lower it again for better weather

also what do you guys think of the set up i just got?(rate from 1-10 ten being best)

i bought it off a audizine member [up] [az] [up] for $750, how hard do you guys think it will be for me, (an amateur to audi's) to do a self install? rate from 1-10 (ten being hardest)

SeanF
09-20-2005, 11:48 AM
its not hard, its just time consuming...

i installed my suspension with the AW tech article, not too bad...

id rate it a 5, because youll need a good set of sockets, soak the bolts a day in advanced with some kind of rust breaker...

rent spring compressors from autozone, ($45 deposit, but you get it all back)

lude2euroa4
09-20-2005, 01:25 PM
i was told i wont need a spring compressor, since its a coilover kit its ready to be popped in there, all i would need to do is remove the stock suspension as a whole and install this suspension as a whole

OutkastSL
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
it is recommended that you do an alignment when you raise/lower the care (each time). but like i said, "its recommended" not always necessary. it all depends on how your tires will wear out. say you raise your car and lower your car twice a year (winter/spring)...determine if the cost of alignment twice a year versus the rate your tires will wear. it's mainly up to you.

Starting
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
your going to need a spring compressor cause you still need to use some stock components on the front. The rears you can probally get away with not using them.

audidrvr
09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
If the coilovers are already put together then you will not need spring compressors, you should just have to take out the old and replace with the coilover unit. (being that they came off of the same model vehicle)

What I would do for the alignment is lower the car where you want it in the summer and have the alignment setup, the when you raise it an inch or so for winter the neg. camber will/should slightly reduce thus giving you similar tire wear to summer. Not perfect but should work through the winter.