PDA

View Full Version : Realiable power for daily driven S5 4.2

Capt Mike
04-04-2015, 06:36 PM
First off I like to say that my new on the site and I'm trying to learn more about my car. I drive a 2012 S5 4.2, and I'm looking to add some more power to the car without losing much if not any of the realiablity of the car. Just trying to figure out a good starting point while it's still an everyday ride.

Any comments and options would help a lot as I'm just getting going.

B6cool
04-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Jhmotorsports.com

A4-B6
04-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the forum! I drive a 2011 S5 4.2L. I did intake/exhaust and chip tune to mine so far. There's plenty of choices out there for you to choose from. The tune really woke the car up in the mid-range IMO. For exhaust, I went with Fast Intentions and couldn't be happier. The V8 sounds amazing with a tuned exhaust system. Best of luck and enjoy the S5.

KM

rmh
04-04-2015, 07:47 PM
You can spend lots of money eeking out minuscule real HP and TQ numbers from any naturally aspirated engine, or you can spend another $25,000 -$30,000 to supercharge it and replace the clutch and friction plate and maybe better brake calipers, rotors, and pads front and rear.
The APR tune gives a different throttle response but statistically insignificant power/torque gains - if you believe their claims, it's ~ 10HP added to the OEM 354HP (less than 3%)
Audi OEM intakes are super efficient, but you can spend hundreds of dollars getting an after market cold air intake (CAI) and getting a different sound profile with statistically insignificant power/torque gains.
You can add a different exhaust for thousands of dollars and get a different sound profile with statistically insignificant power/torque gains.

In my opinion, your best performance mods for your car are:
Have the intake valves inspected/cleaned due to carbon build up that is the bane of ALL FSI engines from ALL manufacturers (GM, BMW, Audi, MB, ...)
Better brake pads (i.e. lower dust, higher friction rate stopping power)
Better sway bars (e.g. H&R, E-Code Tuning) and the Alu Kreuz to keep the car flat cornering and neutralize the cars tendency to understeer
Then, lowering springs or coil overs (e.g. H&R Sport OE Springs) to lower the center of gravity
Then, spend lots of money on the sound profile options and/or ECU tune with insignificant power/torque gains

The only significant gains you can get out of this engine are to go the traditional route of shaved heads (higher compression), better internals, custom ECU map or by forced air induction.

YMMV, but it is your money, so spend it as you see fit.

DML
04-05-2015, 10:32 AM
You can spend lots of money eeking out minuscule real HP and TQ numbers from any naturally aspirated engine, or you can spend another $25,000 -$30,000 to supercharge it and replace the clutch and friction plate and maybe better brake calipers, rotors, and pads front and rear.
The APR tune gives a different throttle response but statistically insignificant power/torque gains - if you believe their claims, it's ~ 10HP added to the OEM 354HP (less than 3%)
Audi OEM intakes are super efficient, but you can spend hundreds of dollars getting an after market cold air intake (CAI) and getting a different sound profile with statistically insignificant power/torque gains.
You can add a different exhaust for thousands of dollars and get a different sound profile with statistically insignificant power/torque gains.

In my opinion, your best performance mods for your car are:
Have the intake valves inspected/cleaned due to carbon build up that is the bane of ALL FSI engines from ALL manufacturers (GM, BMW, Audi, MB, ...)
Better brake pads (i.e. lower dust, higher friction rate stopping power)
Better sway bars (e.g. H&R, E-Code Tuning) and the Alu Kreuz to keep the car flat cornering and neutralize the cars tendency to understeer
Then, lowering springs or coil overs (e.g. H&R Sport OE Springs) to lower the center of gravity
Then, spend lots of money on the sound profile options and/or ECU tune with insignificant power/torque gains

The only significant gains you can get out of this engine are to go the traditional route of shaved heads (higher compression), better internals, custom ECU map or by forced air induction.

YMMV, but it is your money, so spend it as you see fit.

This is totally accurate -- I have a whipple supercharged S5 -- but you also need to factor in a clutch upgrade. Totally worth it -- completely changes the car; however, it is very $$$.