PDA

View Full Version : Avant rear seat latch fail

crazy tarzan
04-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Anyone have issues with their rear seats not latching?

I just discovered last night that apparently my rear seats will not latch properly.

The latches grab, but a little bit of force and you can tug/pull the seats forward again. [:/]

Fixes? Or just get a new upper rear seat section for the rear?

moyenecorniche
04-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Try lubricating the latch mechanism and lock with graphite lock lubricant. The mechanism sticks just enough not to latch.

crazy tarzan
04-02-2015, 07:39 AM
I'll give it a try. Cheaper and quicker than getting new seat backs!

moyenecorniche
04-02-2015, 07:46 AM
They shouldn't fail, it's not a high wear mechanism and it's built quite strongly since it has to withstand crash forces and not unlatch.
I had the same problem with mine thinking it had failed, but it's just the amount of dirt and dust that get in the mechanism and prevents it from latching properly. Plus the seat back also pushes against it so if it doesn't function fully it will never latch.

Make sure you have unlocked and locked the mechanism with your key to insure it functions properly once lubed.

Scientist
04-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Do what I do. Slam them hard. [facepalm]

crazy tarzan
04-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Do what I do. Slam them hard. [facepalm]

Tried. Repeatedly. Still won't latch. Handles seem to work ok.

What are the little plastic tabs with red on them that stick up on the back edge near the handle?

moyenecorniche
04-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Those tabs should be down recessed, if up your latches are locked open thus why they are not latching... [>_>]

richardodn
04-02-2015, 04:17 PM
A better lube for the latches is Lubriplate 105.

moyenecorniche
04-03-2015, 05:18 AM
It took me a while to also figure out the rear latches at first. As typical for our Audi's , how things function is VAG particular.