PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! car wont start

Skippster86
09-17-2005, 08:52 PM
So, I get in the car, start it, and it starts just fine. But when i turn my headlights on, they dont go on fully, so i figure its a fuse. So i turn the car off and swap the fuse. Then I try to start the car up and it doesnt start. There is no clicking. Everything in the car lights up, even the headlights, but the car doesnt start. I had a hard time taking the key out, so i think the ignition is messed up. Im not sure, but i need this fixed asap.

matt719
09-17-2005, 09:28 PM
How many volts is it reading? I'm not sure but I suppose a battery could be weak enough to not crank but still have enough power to power the lights?

Other than that, you may be right about some kind of ignition thing; however, sometimes the key gets stuck and you need to jerk the steering wheel to get it out. That is normal.

Skippster86
09-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Tried to move the wheel, but that didnt help any.

When I first started it, i felt something click, or snap, so I think the plastic internal broke :( Why the hell are these parts so cheaply made? Oh well, hopefully I can get it repaired before school monday.

Skippster86
09-18-2005, 01:18 PM
anyone do this themselves? Ive seen the DIY on Audiworld, but is there any way to get the switch out besides taking the wheel off?

alen
09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
i don't think you need to take the wheel out to change the ignition switch. i'm not exactly sure as i've never replaced one on the A4 but i have plenty of experience from the B4 and B3 cars where the cylinder lock is located on the dash. it's not a difficult fix. get the part at the dealer and try to replace it yourself.

one thing, did you disconnect your battery when you changed out the fuse?

Skippster86
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
no, should i have?

I didnt want to throw alot of codes and ive changed the same fuse once before already.

Skippster86
09-19-2005, 06:50 PM
replaced the ignition switch

that didnt work

I need a new starter :(