PDA

View Full Version : Stage 3 Audi Intro/Noob Build Thread

cwsly
03-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Hey Audizine, thought I should introduce myself finally after trolling the site pretty much nonstop for the last few days. My name is Conner, and Im a total VW/Audi noob... I've always liked the cars, but I never thought I would own one. Due to an interesting chain of events I just picked up a 99 A4 Quattro 5 speed with bits and pieces of an APR Stage 3 kit for dirt cheap from the type of person who plastidipped the brake calipers on the Stoptech big brake kit (literally lol). The car is in fairly rough shape, and definitely needs a little love but it's a decent starting place for a fun daily driver/weekend warrior project. I've had tons of fast stuff before but I know nothing about these cars in particular, so I'd love any input you guys can give me!

The car came with an APR manifold and intake elbow (I believe that's what it is, bear with me), Garrett turbo which I believe is a GT28RS but I haven't had time to verify the numbers, smallish front mount, stupid loud chirpy BOV, and then 2.5" exhaust all the way back to what looks to be the stock muffler. Here's the funny twist though, that's it for power. I believe I've still got stock injectors (Orange top?), and stock maf, and also I believe stock tune, if that's possible although it is catless with no CEL. Along the way it got a Stoptech 6 piston big brake kit which is in desperate need of pads/rotors, so that'll be a fun project in itself trying to figure out what it needs, and unknown brand coilovers that ride suprisingly well. It's also got an aftermarket clutch that is grabby as hell, but as high as its releasing I'm thinking it's not going to last much longer.

A few little issues with the car are that for whatever reason when the lights are switched on I have no side markers, but my signals work perfectly. Fuses look fine, maybe a relay... Any ideas on that? Also the power locks don't work at all. The fuses for both are fine, so I'm hoping it's just the vacuum pump.

I've also got a never ending ABS light. According to the previous owner there is no provisions for the ABS sensors on the BBK, which sounded odd to me but I haven't had time to look into it.

Finally if you look at the pics, you'll notice a lack of front bumper, side skirts, and lower rear bumper. The guy wasn't much of a driver so the front bumper got ripped off and trashed several months ago, and when I got the car it had a big lip kit that just wasn't my style, so now I'll be looking for pretty much an entire S4 kit to get it looking somewhat presentable. I'll also be looking into new wheels because the curbed/plastidipped S4 wheels just aren't my style. Thinking of picking up a set of LM reps for it, or possibly some BBS Aero II's just to change things up but haven't decided quite yet.

Plans for the motor are a set of Siemens 630cc injectors, 4Bar FPR, VR6 maf or maybe speed density, tune (still haven't decided who to go through yet), convert to Tial 38mm external wastegate, chuck the BOV for some sort of diverter valve (any suggestions?), and then full 3" exhaust with possible E85 in the future. Way down the road I may do a built motor with a built/stalled auto and bigger turbo just for fun.

Anyway, on to the pics. I hope to hear from you all on what you think, and I'll update the thread from time to time as the car progresses. Cheers!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7653/16714733988_8d20ae45d4_z_d.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8740/16902384445_421fd55b62_z_d.jpg

Brake kit post-plastidip removal
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8707/16280012234_75ba770d74_z_d.jpg

Filthy engine shot. Definitely have to do something about that "cold air" intake sitting right next to the manifold. That's got to be great for IAT's -_-
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8723/16903195995_994d02e54f_z_d.jpg

First thing I did when I brought it home was pull off the lip kit, I think it looks much better. If anyone is interested in the lip kit let me know, it's just sitting in my shed collecting dust now.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8730/16901158392_dce2066801_z_d.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7651/16887129656_2be1666de5_z_d.jpg

ray4624
03-24-2015, 07:29 PM
youre moving in the right direction here are some tips

do not run an external waste gate with that manifold.
figure out what you need for a tune first (i recommend united Motorsports or eurodyne as you have an aeb)
This will lead you to 630cc injectors most likely (go with bosch ev14)
forge 007 is a popular diverter valve on these cars
stay away from the auto trannys...they are junk (its not like building a tremtec or something)

car will look gread with the s4 body components.

AudiTechS4
03-24-2015, 07:41 PM
interesting rear bumper but not bad

the rear looked better on then it off same with sides

redline380
03-24-2015, 08:04 PM
I read the description and was expecting a ton worse once I got to the pictures. Surprisingly, not bad at all. Interested to find out what you paid. I'd say anything less than $2000 would be a smoking deal, but anything more than $4000 would too much. At least it's a facelift.

Youll want a decent tune like you mentioned which shouldn't be hard for that turbo. This all really depends on how much money you care to put into it.

Have fun with the project. If you have specific questions, you should ask them all in a list. Easier to answer that way

cwsly
03-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input guys. All in all I have around $2500 in the car as it sits, so I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I agree on the rear looking weird as well, that will be remedied tomorrow. I went to the junkyard and found the lower valence off a wrecked A4, the skirts were already gone, so still hunting. That should look a lot better than an exposed gas tank at least.

Biggest questions at this point...
1. If it's not the vacuum pump, what else should I look at on the locks. Probably grounds, haven't heard anything about relays, do they even exist?

2. Any ideas on why I'm not getting any side markers? That one is stumping me. Only thing I can think of at this point is a bad headlight switch.

3. Hopefully I'll be doing plugs in the coming week. I'm thinking BKR7E's? I also heard swapping to 2.0 coil packs and gapping to .035 is a good upgrade, but I only read that once. Opinions?

4. The car doesn't even think about building any kind of boost until almost 3500 RPM... This seems a little high to me, or am I just imagining things?

5. How high can I rev this thing? Redline is at 6k, but seems like limiter is a little higher than that? I'm just playing with it a little now to get an idea of what it can and can't do, but I don't want to hurt it so I'm trying to keep it below 6

I think that's all of the really specific questions I have now, but if I think of more, I'll post them up

Johns
03-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Those clean brakes just look so damn sexy..

[up] for taking off that body kit. Seems like the PO just stopped halfway through their build.. I'm also curious what you got it for?

Edit: $2500 is a great buy. I'd check the locking pump before anything with the locks, they fail frequently.

redline380
03-24-2015, 08:55 PM
1. If it's not the vacuum pump, what else should I look at on the locks. Probably grounds, haven't heard anything about relays, do they even exist?

Not sure on this one. Does the fob work? Batteries good?

2. Any ideas on why I'm not getting any side markers? That one is stumping me. Only thing I can think of at this point is a bad headlight switch.

Again, no idea. But I would suspect the switch or stalk.

3. Hopefully I'll be doing plugs in the coming week. I'm thinking BKR7E's? I also heard swapping to 2.0 coil packs and gapping to .035 is a good upgrade, but I only read that once. Opinions?

Yes, the FSI coil upgrade is excellent, especially for AEB's. Delete that ICM bro. Just do it.

4. The car doesn't even think about building any kind of boost until almost 3500 RPM... This seems a little high to me, or am I just imagining things?

I would need a video, but it is probably just random things wrong. Look into boost leaks, bad plugs, bad tune especially. But big turbos spool poorly on such a small engine.

5. How high can I rev this thing? Redline is at 6k, but seems like limiter is a little higher than that? I'm just playing with it a little now to get an idea of what it can and can't do, but I don't want to hurt it so I'm trying to keep it below 6

I have a completely stock AEB head on my 01 with a 2871r turbo. I wont go over 7500rpm, so you have plenty of room to rev. Ive heard of guys revving the stock head to 7800 even. But it depends on your turbo and its spooling characteristics. Because it is kind of smallish, revving out that high might not be the best. But 6k is definitely a little low

I think that's all of the really specific questions I have now, but if I think of more, I'll post them up

Answers are in bold.

$2500 for that car isn't a bad deal at all. I would say stick another $2000 or so into it (maybe more if you plan on replacing those ground effects) and you will have yourself a solid, good looking/running car.

If you want to eventually go much bigger, you came to the right place.

Cgoon009
03-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Welcome!

I would spend a few weekends just cleaning everything, then you know what shape it really is in, after that I would put the body back together asap. Good job on getting rid of teh body kit.

Next I would pull down and clean the suspension, and brakes. The stoptech kit is still used alot so parts and pads should not be hard to find. Once thats complete, get the build back on track, and you will have a monster.

As for the locks, check the graphite disks? and then the air line connections. Finally the pumps go bad, so check those too.

As for the side markers, check the wiring. may be hacked up, also check to see if the right bulb is in place.

Finally refinish those headlights and you will have a super clean car!

Avant Nate
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
One thing you don't want to do is Rev it higher on a bigger turbo with a stock tune. First thing you need is vcds. It will really help in diagnosing problems and can be done for under $10.
Edit: I don't think those are stock injectors. Pull the Ecu, a lot of time the Ecu will have the tune written on it in sharpie.

redline380
03-24-2015, 09:26 PM
One thing you don't want to do is Rev it higher on a bigger turbo with a stock tune. First thing you need is vcds. It will really help in diagnosing problems and can be done for under $10.
Edit: I don't think those are stock injectors. Pull the Ecu, a lot of time the Ecu will have the tune written on it in sharpie.

I doubt the car is on a stock tune. But, OP, I would like you to get the PN off the injector. So either you or one of us can look it up and see what you are running for injectors.

But nate is correct, if indeed you are running on stock programming, I wouldn't rev that high at all under load. I wouldn't even go over 5 psi.

Edit- Just read your edit lol. We are thinking the same thing I'm sure.

cwsly
03-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys, I'll look into the little electrical tweaks and report back. I'll try to rip out the injectors and ECU, and maybe we can figure out exactly what I've got and go from there... Never thought of checking the ECU for tune info. Seems like a great forum, tons of great stuff in here

Turbo_B5
03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Welcome!! Nice buy.

I did a ICM delete/FSI coil upgrade on the first few pages of my build thread. It is one of the best modifications I have done to the car.

ray4624
03-24-2015, 10:11 PM
i have the 2.0 coils as well.
Love the way they look and perform.

I have the 034 splice in harness.

coolgraymemo
03-24-2015, 10:47 PM
-- *four piston Stoptech brakes
-- some people modify the bulb/connector so that the parking lights don't turn on. [not sure if you're referring to the ones on the headlights or the ones on the fenders]

fR3ZNO
03-25-2015, 11:58 AM
I don't think anybody mentioned anything about the ABS issue, but I'm pretty sure the BBK would not affect the functioning of the ABS (since the abs is controlled by the pump in the engine bay and the wheel speed sensors, he may have been talking about the brake pads not having any provisions for wear sensors like stock pads do). It may be an issue with the ABS module itself. Once you get a VCDS it would be a good idea to check what errors you have stored.

cwsly
03-25-2015, 12:28 PM
-- *four piston Stoptech brakes
-- some people modify the bulb/connector so that the parking lights don't turn on. [not sure if you're referring to the ones on the headlights or the ones on the fenders]

That's interesting to hear about... I'll have to look into that. You wouldn't happen to have any links on that would you? All I've got right now is a phone and searching on there isn't the easiest.

I don't think anybody mentioned anything about the ABS issue, but I'm pretty sure the BBK would not affect the functioning of the ABS (since the abs is controlled by the pump in the engine bay and the wheel speed sensors, he may have been talking about the brake pads not having any provisions for wear sensors like stock pads do). It may be an issue with the ABS module itself. Once you get a VCDS it would be a good idea to check what errors you have stored.

That would make sense. It's just got the ABS sensor wires zip tied to the brake lines right now, he said they work but there's nowhere to plug them in. Since it needs Pads/Rotors anyway I'll try talking to Stoptech to see what they say.

What's the VCDS everyone keeps talking about, and how does it relate to Vag-Com? Quick search seems like they're both just PC only downloadable diag software?

cwsly
03-25-2015, 12:34 PM
Also thought it's worth mentioning, I got the lower rear bumper on this morning... I think it looks much better. Planning on keeping it black until I get the S4 skirts, then I'll sand it smooth and paint both body color.

Also found out my exhaust hangs a little weird, hopefully just an exhaust hanger but we shall see

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7590/16928485621_0159fd3525_z_d.jpg

Bordom
03-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Most likely because they aligned the exhaust to the aftermarket kit. Nothing a few re-positioned exhaust hangers couldn't fix

fR3ZNO
03-25-2015, 01:20 PM
That would make sense. It's just got the ABS sensor wires zip tied to the brake lines right now, he said they work but there's nowhere to plug them in. Since it needs Pads/Rotors anyway I'll try talking to Stoptech to see what they say.

For the front brakes, the pad wear sensor plugs into the ABS wheel speed sensor harness. It then goes into a grommet inside the wheel well. The wheel speed sensor plugs into the upright.

http://i.imgur.com/XWZ78b4.jpg

What's the VCDS everyone keeps talking about, and how does it relate to Vag-Com? Quick search seems like they're both just PC only downloadable diag software?

VCDS and Vag-Com are one in the same. VCDS is the official name used by the company that makes it which is Ross Tech (ross-tech.com). Vag-Com is what it used to be called and people use it interchangeably with VCDS.

But yes, VCDS is diagnostic software specially designed for Volkswagen group vehicles (which include Audi, obviously).

ray4624
03-25-2015, 02:17 PM
when did they go to pad wear sensors? Is it a facelift thing?
My 98.5 does not have them.

I would venture that the OP needs the module rebuilt. its an easy 50 dollar fix.

redline380
03-25-2015, 02:20 PM
when did they go to pad wear sensors? Is it a facelift thing?
My 98.5 does not have them.

I would venture that the OP needs the module rebuilt. its an easy 50 dollar fix.

Facelift I believe. Or just 2000 and up.

I would check over the sensors first before having the module rebuilt. Every time I change a wheel bearing my ABS light turns on because the sensors can get finicky. At least make sure they are pulgged in. After that, do some vag com tests

adam044
03-25-2015, 06:14 PM
My 2000 doesn't have ABS.

Cool car, cool wheels, we have basically the same looking car. I've thought about painting my lowers to match but I like the silver/black look.

Be ready to sell your kidney for S4 skirts and similar parts. If you find them.

ray4624
03-25-2015, 06:39 PM
it has abs.
just not pad wear sensors. (maybe idk)

the silver box next to your washer res is your abs module

adam044
03-25-2015, 06:45 PM
it has abs.
just not pad wear sensors. (maybe idk)

the silver box next to your washer res is your abs module

Shit you're right that is what that box is. I've never felt them and I've had the car for a year. I should definitely have felt them by now. Maybe they don't work. Idk, and idc. I'll give it a good slam tomorrow I guess.

cwsly
03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Good to know about the sensors. I'll lift it up and look more into it next time I have a good chance and post up what I find. Didn't think of rebuilding the module, that's a good idea.

cwsly
03-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Little update... Got a broken S4 bumper for free off of the previous owner, and have S4 side skirts (hopefully) on the way. Got what seemed to be a pretty good deal for them, but the seller is being really weird about shipping them off, so it might be time to talk to PayPal.

The S4 bumper actually looks pretty cool in my opinion with the bottom half missing over the front mount... I'm thinking about trimming the bottom so it looks less "broken", and then running a flat splitter or something underneath it all to tie it together. Passenger side washer is missing, that bugs the crap out of me... Also seems like the bumper mounts on both sides are pretty shot, so I'll probably grab some of those bumper quick releases for it. That I'm still iffy about though... Ideas?

Here's how it looks now. All in all, not bad for free
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7647/16988996102_acaab45f02_z_d.jpg

ray4624
03-31-2015, 09:20 AM
I would just try to get an a4 bumper to fit for now. Unless you went full drift car and made a tube style lower half for that bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueBoostedAudi
03-31-2015, 04:17 PM
OEM s4 would be the best option IMO

cwsly
03-31-2015, 08:21 PM
I'd love to do an OEM S4 bumper, they look amazing but unfortunately they're not in my budget right now. I want to get it looking decent, and then get the mechanical stuff all sorted out before I spend too much on looks. I just have to make this bumper work in whatever way I can for right now unfortunately

Johns
03-31-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm curious how it would look with a splitter on the bottom and just filling in the rest with Rs4 mesh. Any plans on parting with those Avus' for cheap? [;)]

cwsly
03-31-2015, 09:21 PM
I'm curious how it would look with a splitter on the bottom and just filling in the rest with Rs4 mesh. Any plans on parting with those Avus' for cheap? [;)]

Avus wheels? I'm actually planning on trading them for a set of BBS in the morning lol.
I did a little Photoshop on the mesh grill covering the whole lower with a splitter, it looked horrible unfortunately. I'm honestly thinking of just trimming both sides even and cleaning it up to look like it's supposed to look that way. That seems to be the best option right now

ray4624
03-31-2015, 09:23 PM
see if there is a pick and pull near you and get a regular a4 bumper?
doesnt matter what color...it will look better then that thing.

cwsly
04-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Well, BBS's fell through unfortunately, so I'm stuck with the S4's for a while. First step is clean them up and repaint, any suggestions on color? I'm thinking either silver or a metallic black.

On a side note, I have some unused 10mm ECS spacers that I don't need anymore, first $100 takes them

adam044
04-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Dark color for the wheels, not silver.