PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 to 1.8T Quattro conversion ??

Mikeyg1810
03-23-2015, 06:14 AM
Hi all ive got a B5 A4 1.8 and I want to convert it to a 1.8T Quattro
I'm going to buy a doner car for all the bits but what I want to know is will the Quattro bits fit on my floor pan and secondly exactly what bits will I need to strip off the doner car to get it in and running in my car ?
Cheers

Bordom
03-23-2015, 06:53 AM
If you're FWD you'll have EXTENSIVE modification to get everything to fit. Unlike the B6 and up, the B5 floor pans are different.

You'll need:
Quattro floor pans
Quattro trans
5spd propshaft
3.89 Rear diff
Quattro fuel tank
Quattro rear subframe
Rear axles
Rear spindles
Rear control arms
Shock towers
Eccentric bolts/washers

This a VERY LENGTHY AND EXPENSIVE conversion. I hope you have at least one month and $10k if you can't fabricate yourself

Seerlah
03-23-2015, 06:53 AM
Not worth the trouble. Undercarriage differs from fwd to Quattro on the b5.

Mattkrim
03-23-2015, 07:26 AM
why not just buy a quattro at that point??

Mikeyg1810
03-23-2015, 08:37 AM
thanks for the replies sounds way too much work !!
What about changing the standard 1.8 for a 1.8 T engine then what would I need then ?

Bordom
03-23-2015, 09:36 AM
What about changing the standard 1.8 for a 1.8 T engine then what would I need then ?

This is much easier and cheaper to accomplish.

Required:
Engine,
Engine Wiring Harness
ECU
Intercooler/Intercooler pipes

Probably need:
Fuel pump.

Mad Cow
03-23-2015, 09:36 AM

A 1.8t parts car, or access to a bunch of junkyard and/or part out 1.8t's. There's a ton of small random things that you'll need to swap over (on top of the stuff parts Bordom mentioned) and you won't know what you need until you get to it.

Corrado_Guy
03-25-2015, 08:03 PM
What year is this car and where do you live? As far as I know the B5 platform only came with a turbo charged 1.8 litre motor or a V6 in North America. Not all motors are as easy to swap compared to others so if your car is a 1997 and you are using a swap car from 2001 then it will be a lot more work. If it is FWD then you will be limited by the amount of power you can put in it as well. There are a number of people with high output FWD cars and it works but they say it can be a bit of a hand full at times. Unless cars are really expensive I would just sell it and buy the car you wanted in the first place and put your effort into it.

redline380
03-25-2015, 08:10 PM
What year is this car and where do you live? As far as I know the B5 platform only came with a turbo charged 1.8 litre motor or a V6 in North America. Not all motors are as easy to swap compared to others so if your car is a 1997 and you are using a swap car from 2001 then it will be a lot more work. If it is FWD then you will be limited by the amount of power you can put in it as well. There are a number of people with high output FWD cars and it works but they say it can be a bit of a hand full at times. Unless cars are really expensive I would just sell it and buy the car you wanted in the first place and put your effort into it.

His location says Birmingham, so I would assume Birmingham England.

Bordom
03-25-2015, 08:16 PM
NA 1.8 were available in Europe. I believe 1.8T were a premium back in the day