PDA

View Full Version : Whining Noise getting louder...Please help

R3DL3TR5
09-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Hey everyone. I did a search and didn't come up with too much help so I'm writing this hoping to get a little more feedback. I have a '97 b5 manuel, 1.8tq. Just within the past few weeks I've noticed a rather loud whining noise coming from the engine bay. The noise gets louder as the car warms up. I stuck my head undre the hood today and it sounded liek it's coming from closer to the driver side of the engine, however I don't believe it is the p/s fluid. The p/s fluid is full and not leaking. Also, the noise doesn't change if I turn the wheels. It stays loud until higher rpm (around 2000) then it goes away. Also, the noise is consistent whtether or not I have the clutch engaged or in gear. Please help me out here if you can. I would appreciate any input. Thanks so much.
-wes m.

theblackaudi
09-17-2005, 01:07 PM
My guess would be that the power steering pump is going bad.

Ben@SpeedBarn
09-17-2005, 01:23 PM
If its not changing when you turn the wheels I would guess either a slipping belt or a bearing going bad on one of the pulleys up front.

jent
09-17-2005, 01:24 PM
couple thoughts....a belt could be too tight, timing, serp, etc. Your water pump could have an air bubble in it, you may need to bleed you coolant. You might have something rubing? Can you see any strange wear on any of the belts?

R3DL3TR5
09-20-2005, 12:59 AM
thanks for your help guys. well, the sound is still progressively getting louder each day. I was able to get under it and listen for it. It's coming from the Power Steering pump. The fluid isn't low, that's what is so bizzare to me. But anywho, I will replace the pump soon. Has anybody changed the pump before? Anything special I should know before changing it out? It looks pretty straightforward. Don't think I'll have to take anything unnecessary off. Please give me any pointers if you can. Thanks a bunch everyone.
-wes

Richie410
09-20-2005, 02:56 AM
my guess would be a worn bearing.