PDA

View Full Version : Crank sensor issue 4.2 and 01e swap

Audihere!
03-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Having trouble fitting the crank sensor on the 40v 4.2 v8 paired with an 01e 6 speed using a 2.8 flywheel and clutch. My factory 1.8/5speed crank sensor goes in to the beginning of the O ring and according to other posts someone mentioned a 2.7t b5 s4 crank sensor fitting so I ordered one from ecs and it fits exactly like my 1.8 does even though they are different part numbers... and Im guessing thats a loss with no option to return it. It appears the s4 with an auto trans has yet another part number. Need some help, this swap has cleared out my bank account as is

4Loops
03-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Hey Audihere

I haven't tried fitting my crank sensor in my 40v ART with my swap just yet, but I thought I heard this was supposed to slide right in. The biggest thing I remember reading to look out for is not setting it in too deep. I can't remember who's thread (timytim?) found this out the hard way, and ground down his crank sensor because it sat too close to the flywheel and it rubbed.
Is your fitment issue that it's bottoming out? Maybe this is why? -I've heard a shim/washer/bushing must be used to space this up enough so it doesn't rub.
I couldn't tell if you were saying your fitment issue was that it was bottoming out, or that the sensor's diameter was just too big. -Hope I'm assuming your fitment issues correctly, hope this helps..

BTW, what have you done/are you doing for ECM hardware/coding? Are you buying a tune? Making your own? Haven't got there yet? I'm in that stage now, and will have to get the engine to know it's connected to a man trans.

bhusted
03-21-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm using the 30v 2.8 crank sensor, which I think is the same as the 40v sensor. There is a small aluminum spacer that goes in between the sensor and the flywheel to prevent rubbing the flywheel on the sensor (ask me how I know). The PN for the aluminum spacer thing is 078906435.

Nollywood
03-21-2016, 09:50 AM
The sensors are the same on manual cars, the different part numbers are due to physical cable lengths.

Audihete! Have you tried fitting the sensor WITHOUT the O-ring? I'm trying to establish whether the sensor won't fit because the tip is making contact with the flywheel tone ring, or because the O-ring needs light greasing to get it past the edge of the hole.

Are you using the sensor spacer? I'm sure the 1.8T doesn't need one, the V6 ones definitely do.