PDA

View Full Version : Washer fluid line check valve??

maxiz1
03-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Hello,
My washer fluid hose already cracked and broken, including the fittings (L and T) between the hose and the nozzle jets. I've attempted a cheap repair by connecting the undamaged section to 6mm clear hose. Everything works fine except that after the operation the fluid would return back to the washer tank by gravity. This causes significant delay in getting the fluid to the windscreen.

I read in most cars there is check valve to keep the fluid from returning back. Unfortunately, I could not ascertain whether the A4 B5 does have a check valve on the OEM list. I've checked ECS tuning as well as http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A4/2000/223/57/2792840/. They do not indicate any.

Any thoughts about this? Me thinking of fitting an aftermarket or aquarium check valve.

MacFady
03-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Just do it, add it to your mod list.

maxiz1
03-23-2015, 12:19 AM
It turns out that there is no need for a check valve at all. The washer pump is strong enough to deliver a powerful jet of water without much delay. The problem was because the hose was pinched by the cabin air filter housing upon re-installation.

My only mod was replacing the plastic hose with a black rubber type. I wonder why Audi in the 1st place choose this type of hose because it's so brittle.

richardodn
03-23-2015, 08:37 AM
My only mod was replacing the plastic hose with a black rubber type. I wonder why Audi in the 1st place choose this type of hose because it's so brittle.

Like many things VW did when designing Audis, engineering decisions were made to minimize manufacturing costs. Serviceability and durability were secondary concerns.