PDA

View Full Version : Fender bender = total loss

SN95Audi87
03-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Hey B5 fam,

Unfortunately I got into a fender bender yesterday and I was just in state of shock because I never been in one ever. Moving on, I was traveling east on rt.280 over Newark where there is a serious traffic congestion between peak hours and manage to rearend a newer Honda Accord in the morning. This was somewhat slow moving traffic but still caught me off guard. The driver in the Honda Accord was trying to avoid a accident yet abruptly slamming his brakes to about 5mph from 30-35mph which caused the damage to my B5. Even with big brake kit I still couldn't able to match his stop speed from 10-20ft gap in between our cars. Overall, the insurance adjuster came to collision shop and deemed my car a total loss from the value of the car. There really isn't crazy damage, front fenders are in alignment and front bumper is scuffed up. The top portion of the radiator is leaking, and fan assembly his hitting the radiator. What sucks about this whole thing is that our B5's are in that zone where if you have full coverage insurance is going to call it a total loss. I have the option to buy back the car and fix it myself. I think I am going to go with that route because my buddy runs his own body shop and can source parts for way lower cost than I can. I am just here venting.....dont mind me. My daily driver is down and it sucks! [headbang] but it will be back better than ever [wrench]

http://i61.tinypic.com/28uxq9.jpg

B72011
03-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Hey, ya lived and life goes on. Take the $$ and bring her back to life. Better than ever..........extra $$$ for goodies.

R490
03-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Ouch, glad you're alright and will rebuild.

redline380
03-19-2015, 04:19 PM
At least you are sticking with it. Props for dat!

Audibot
03-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Eerily enough, my brother's Allroad just got totaled by the insurance company. He wound up hitting this massive pothole which bent both passenger side wheels enough to go flat, popped his rear air spring, scraped the bumper on the ground, and did some damage to a couple suspension components. He's buying his back too.

Best of luck getting her patched up and better than ever.

Bordom
03-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Eerily enough, my brother's Allroad just got totaled by the insurance company. He wound up hitting this massive pothole which bent both passenger side wheels enough to go flat, popped his rear air spring, scraped the bumper on the ground, and did some damage to a couple suspension components. He's buying his back too.

Best of luck getting her patched up and better than ever.
That sounds like a disaster! I'd rather deal with that though than doing body work like the OP.

That sucks to read/see but no more dozing at the wheel! She deserves the love you'll be giving her for how clean she is

Audibot
03-19-2015, 05:23 PM
That sounds like a disaster! I'd rather deal with that though than doing body work like the OP.

*Shrug* I'm not sure how much it would cost to the body work on OP's car, but considering my brother's getting near $5k for the car, I fear for the worse with what he's going to deal with...

Bordom
03-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Your brother's going to have an easy time repairing that Allroad with $5k. I don't think Op will even get half of what you're brother is getting

crazexr7
03-19-2015, 05:45 PM
I was able to get $4500 and my car back from insurance when they totaled my car. Was a combination of the bumper getting separated from the crash bar, fender and driver door smashed, and control arms getting bent and separated. They also said the core support was cracked but I didn't see any damage there.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7540/15952652641_8676a38da7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qiFvRc)

I was mainly concerned about what happens if I get into another accident on a rebuilt title. I'd never get the kind of payout that would at least be something.

Bordom
03-19-2015, 06:08 PM
^certainly a best case scenario. I'd like to hear about how much the OP gets. We get shafted in Canada more often.

You guys pay cheap insurance, and if you do get into a crash that results in a totaled vehicle, you get paid more for it.

We pay (on occassion) almost triple what you guys in the US pay. It's ridiculous! I'd be hopeful to even see $2k from my insurance company should total my car. *knocks on wood*

SN95Audi87
03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Guys I am not even getting half that, I am only getting 1500+ for the car. They valued my car at 2600 dollars :( which sucks because I thought it was at least worth 3500 in the condition it was in. One body shop offered 2200 to get everything fix but it was way to high. I had a better look today and the only thing that's busted is the hood, the plastic piece which secures the head light, and broken fan/radiator. Everything else looks to be in awesome shape. My buddy is coming tomorrow to do a real inspection on it and tell me what I need to do. I am going to fix it up and drive the wheels off it.

I do not know how the title thing works for you guys but the insurance adjuster said that the title will remain the same because if it is under 8 years old it would have salvage title.

Mario_Schizo
03-19-2015, 06:51 PM
Why not buy the panels and install them on yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crazexr7
03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear. I guess my case was special. They were originally prepared to give me 4k for it but I had to negotiate with them to go up. If you didn't accept the offer yet you may be able to politely ask for more. I told them that I was mainly concerned with getting into a comparable car and I didn't want to go into something not as nice because of an accident that wasn't my fault. Little did I know at the time I'd pick up an Avant project that ended up needing a ton more work.

But otherwise the insurance money that you say you're getting, while low, is a pretty good amount to fix what was broken yourself. And maybe some extra if you find panels that are silver already, which is pretty likely.

SN95Audi87
03-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Me? I do not have the luxury of working on it because I work 50hrs a week. I rather just let the shop get it done in a timely manner. I wish I could tho.

Bordom
03-19-2015, 07:09 PM
You can always get your buddy to source you used panels that are the same colour from partouts and such, give it a respray and you're gold. I don't see that being more than $750-ish

ray4624
03-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Me? I do not have the luxury of working on it because I work 50hrs a week. I rather just let the shop get it done in a timely manner. I wish I could tho.

if you had the time to source the parts, that could all be done in a weekend.
I work 50hrs a week as well and i just have to set a day where i know it will be work on car day and stick to it haha

adam044
03-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Happens a lot with older cars like this. Sad I know.

SN95Audi87
03-19-2015, 07:43 PM
You can always get your buddy to source you used panels that are the same colour from partouts and such, give it a respray and you're gold. I don't see that being more than $750-ish

I actually found a candidate same year and color. So I believe you 100%

if you had the time to source the parts, that could all be done in a weekend.
I work 50hrs a week as well and i just have to set a day where i know it will be work on car day and stick to it haha

True anything can be done if you set your mind to it.

Happens a lot with older cars like this. Sad I know.

Very sad, but you know what my friend says that the insurance companies search for junkyard parts in order to fix the cars so I rather do it myself.

LA4
03-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Very sad, but you know what my friend says that the insurance companies search for junkyard parts in order to fix the cars so I rather do it myself.

Junkyard can be the way to go if you're on a budget. Especially with you having a silver car, extremely common color.

My friend hit a deer in his silver A4. He had no collision or anything like that. Car looked pretty fucked up and needed to be towed.

Went to the pick and pull, found 3 different silver A4s. Picked the best bumper, best hood, headlight, and radiator. Car was back on the road after the next weekend, total cost around $150.

The downside to these cars is that they're old and cheap.
The upside to these cars is that they're old and cheap and plentiful in pick and pulls.

Bordom
03-19-2015, 08:14 PM
The downside to these cars is that they're old and cheap.
The upside to these cars is that they're old and cheap and plentiful in pick and pulls.

Unfortunately I've yet to see a black B5 in the wrecker. There was the exception of a 00 S4 that was sitting on top of an older Rav4. People had stripped that thing so clean. I was tempted to pick up remaining spindles with brakes from all around, but I didn't have the money.

LA4
03-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately I've yet to see a black B5 in the wrecker. There was the exception of a 00 S4 that was sitting on top of an older Rav4. People had stripped that thing so clean. I was tempted to pick up remaining spindles with brakes from all around, but I didn't have the money.

We had a '00 S4 in here just last week! Unfortunately same situation... stripped clean.

I've seen black cars in the yards before but I think Audi has like 3 different shades of black. Gotta keep up hope, I never in a million years expected to find a pearl white B5 and just 2 weeks ago I found a mint one sitting unmolested. I try to hit up the junkyard every week or 2 because I never want to miss out on things like that S4.

Radskull1
03-19-2015, 08:22 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p526x296/16191_888910204484693_2959015423640233819_n.jpg?oh =864e5cc784ec67bafb5963e6ce48fd12&oe=55BEA753&__gda__=1437699161_7449222b3623fe66aeeee848599cf0d 8 Ive had an accident recently too, bought the car and 2 days later this happened, Guy pulled out in front of me at a grocery store couldnt stop because of ice went around did 2, 360's in the road and hit the guard rail, the other guy stopped then floored it when he seen me getting out. now i have oil leaking and everything on a car i have had less than a month

pbcrazy
03-19-2015, 08:26 PM
Try finding a laser red b5 in a junkyard, I've only seen three on the road anywhere and pictures of a couple more. In all seriousness it really sucks this happened, but it really doesn't look that bad. Like the others said, you can have it back in a weekend and $400-600.

LA4
03-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Try finding a laser red b5 in a junkyard, I've only seen three on the road anywhere and pictures of a couple more. In all seriousness it really sucks this happened, but it really doesn't look that bad. Like the others said, you can have it back in a weekend and $400-600.

I shit you not, there was a laser red B5 just last week. Literally 1st car I saw upon entering the yard. It's been a gold mine lately. Kinda beat up though.

Did you need something?

pbcrazy
03-19-2015, 08:29 PM
I shit you not, there was a laser red B5 just last week. Literally 1st car I saw upon entering the yard. It's been a gold mine lately.

Did you need something?

Really? I haven't been so lucky to see even a single b5 in junkyards around me, let alone one of the more rare colors. Thankfully I do not need anything atm, but let me know if an s4 pops in! I wouldn't mind upgrading some brakes....

LA4
03-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Really? I haven't been so lucky to see even a single b5 in junkyards around me, let alone one of the more rare colors. Thankfully I do not need anything atm, but let me know if an s4 pops in! I wouldn't mind upgrading some brakes....

Laser Red ones are definitely uncommon, but this isn't the first I've seen. Thankfully there are usually half a dozen or so B5s locally. It helps that I'm close to the single largest pick and pull in the US. There was a 996 Porsche 911 in a little while back.

Brakes were the first thing I checked for last week on the S4. I've been wanting to upgrade mine. Car was completely stripped though.

Bordom
03-19-2015, 08:43 PM
You can use the A6 brakes/spindles if you wanted to. Every A6 I've seen has been on the ground though. No chance at grabbing those spindles

Audibot
03-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Good luck getting everything patched up OP. Crazy how much they shaft you.

SN95Audi87
03-20-2015, 04:08 PM
I know! Everyone said the samething I've talked to, but the good news is that my friend got the hood unlatch and the only thing severely busted is the radiator support. The a/c condenser fan is slightly wobbly and the condenser itself is slightly bent but there is recycling center not far from me that has the exact same car as mine. All I need is to blend the fenders and im looking under 1000 which is ok by me. Way better than 2200 to fix it.