PDA

View Full Version : ~~||~~ TWO Birds w/ ONE Stone ~~||~~

audisnapr
09-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I posted a while back about my Valve Clatter/Ticking Getting Worse (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61123) and then the other day about a Cel + Sputter (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63746) issue. So I ordered a whole new set of coil-packs since that was what the consensus was regarding the sputtering. Went to put them in today and found that the spark plug in cylinder 3 was one turn short of not being threaded in at all. It was just in there flopping around. The chamber in cyl 3 was completely covered in carbon and what looks like metal/aluminum shavings. On top of that, once I pulled the plug to inspect it, I saw that it was missing 1 of its 3 prongs. Which of course means one of the prongs must have broken off and fell in.

So... hopefully it got pushed out or fell down in the pan somehow and didn't cause too much damage. Put it all back together, using the bad plug for the meantime until I can head up the street to buy a new plug. Turns out, what sounded like valve clatter is all gone now [:D]. And hopefully that will cure my sputtering problems as well.

My only concern is that when I put my ear up to the coil-pack in cyl 3 it still sounds funky and different from all the rest. Do you think this is caused by the broken spark plug or could it be internal damage to the valves or cylinder?

EVIL-AUDI
09-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Nice, good to hear it's back to normal[up]

Kruat
09-16-2005, 04:56 PM
wow, hopefully those missing prongs are not gonna cause anymore damage.

bitterchild
09-16-2005, 05:14 PM
your engine is fawked dude.

audisnapr
09-16-2005, 06:22 PM
you are such a biatch bitterchild [;)] Thanks for chiming in though [:D]

BroadyPunk
09-25-2005, 10:38 PM
any updates?
everything running fine?

derek2079
09-26-2005, 12:25 AM
i thought the chattering from the dv was typical maybe its a different noise

i get it from time to time

bitterchild
09-26-2005, 07:34 AM
your engine is totally fawked dude

seriously though, the "shavings" in cyl 3 are probably the remains of your ground strap after being pummeled into oblivion. I would strongly recommend a compression and/or leakdown test to see if you have any grooving or scoring along the cyl walls. hopefully most of the debris made it out the exhaust valves after it was broken down so it made it through the turbo w/o chipping wheels

onemoremile
09-26-2005, 08:18 AM
try swapping the cyl 3 and 4 coilpacks too. if the #3 coilpack makes the funny noise when mounted on cyl 4 then you know it is a problem. if the #4 pack does it on cyl 3 then you know the problem is down below.

audisnapr
09-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by BroadyPunk
any updates?
everything running fine?

yeah, car seems to be running strong - much quiter now too [:D]

At my next major service, I'll have the techs do a compression test on her, see how she's holding up. Thanks for the feeedback bitterchild - always nice to have a smart-ass in the crowd, makes the day go by much faster (good meeting you by the way).

bitterchild
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
haha, i shoulda brought a couple of tools down w/ me. seems like a lot of people could have used some work. Coulda done a quick comp test for you in the parking lot. Pleasure meeting you too.

bender
09-27-2005, 06:38 PM
okay you've got me scared. No more Autolite plugs(or any other cheapos) for me.

audisnapr
09-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bender
okay you've got me scared. No more Autolite plugs(or any other cheapos) for me.

yeah, one more reason to do your own work. I had my last major service done by Woodlawn in PA (highly recommended by several audi ppl, include AWE). They are the ones that put in the Bosch, non-copper plugs. I figured they knew better... I guess not. I would assume that the prong on the plug busted off after the plug wiggled loose - although the plug should have never come loose in the first place.

bender
09-28-2005, 03:13 AM
so I guess the advantage for running a single prong plug vs 3 prong is that it has less chance of this happing? Plus I really don't see any performance gain on running 3 prong prongs especially when you are changing it every or every other oil changes.

bitterchild
09-28-2005, 02:10 PM
3 electrodes are really for maintenance intervals, as one burns out the gap the spark will naturally pick one of the shorter gaps. Thus you close to triple the interval of the plug firing across the same gap. i would think 3 prongs triple you chances of dropping one. Something had to have gone wrong to have it fail like that.