PDA

View Full Version : Best spring to use on a Tial Q BOV?

mykeg6
03-15-2015, 11:44 PM
Hi guys,

Any of you guys using a Tial Q BOV?

What spring are you using?

I'm thinking of using a 10 lb spring.

rodgertherabit
03-16-2015, 11:27 AM
BOV/DV spring rates vary on how much vaccum (mmHg) your engine pulls. (IIRC)

Every engine is different.

Seerlah
03-16-2015, 01:56 PM
The Tial BOV requires you to place in the spring in accordance to idle vacuum, as mentioned above. Other units like Forge Motorsports go by boost value.

catbed
03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
The weakest spring that will still let the valve close fully at idle

M-Hood
03-17-2015, 07:30 PM
I swear I know this conversation from somewhere [;)]

Here is the answer to that question. (http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w3_tial_qqr_sp.pdf)

The weakest spring that will still let the valve close fully at idle

Not really, if the spring is too soft it might end up open while driving at part throttle or even backing off the throttle lightly and that would be a bad thing.

mykeg6
03-17-2015, 11:01 PM
I swear I know this conversation from somewhere [;)]

Here is the answer to that question. (http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w3_tial_qqr_sp.pdf)

Not really, if the spring is too soft it might end up open while driving at part throttle or even backing off the throttle lightly and that would be a bad thing.

I posted this before going to sleep and I wasn't able to talk to anyone yet. lol

The Full Race Tial Q I got has a 10 lb spring inside.

I just hope it does the trick.

Making 420 mm hg vaccum at idle once the engine gets warm (16.5 in hg).

catbed
03-18-2015, 06:28 AM

The engine is not going to draw as much vacuum at part throttle as it is at idle. So if its fully closed at idle it will be fine

M-Hood
03-18-2015, 08:56 AM
The engine is not going to draw as much vacuum at part throttle as it is at idle. So if its fully closed at idle it will be fine

Yes it will be fine while holding part throttle, but the problem is if the spring is too soft the BOV will open prematurely if the throttle pedal is lifted off slightly causing the vacuum to drop just past idle vacuum. But if the person isn't worried about that then that is their choice. Definitely don't want a spring that is too stiff since that can cause damage to the compressor wheel, something someone has to watch out for that is changing cams. Still surprised that Tial hasn't just started offering their BOV kits with all the springs like they do for their WG's, this would take out the guessing game for the end user when it comes to having to pick the right spring rate when ordering a Tial BOV.

mykeg6
03-18-2015, 07:47 PM
They should have added all the springs or made it adjustable with a screw like the other bovs.

ray4624
03-18-2015, 09:46 PM
my synapse was adjustable and it was really annoying. I couldnt get it to work right so i went to a forge 004. I like having different springs.

M-Hood
03-19-2015, 09:07 AM
They should have added all the springs or made it adjustable with a screw like the other bovs.

If it came with all the springs or even just as an option to get it with all the springs at a slightly higher price would be nice. Coming with all the springs would just make it easier for the dealers since they wouldn't have to have the extra springs sitting around or have a packaged BOV for every spring which is exactly why Tial started including all the springs with their WG's.