PDA

View Full Version : FrankenTurbo and Tune Question

FeebleBiscuit
03-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Okay so Im looking into a FrakenTurbo set up and i have a few questions about what tune and injectors would be a good set up.
My car is a 1998 A4 quattro 1.8t AEB.
i am also adding a 42 draft designs turbo back exhaust and all the turbo fixings high flow fuel pump etc...

im wondering what other people have run becuase FRaken turbo does not offer a tune and injector set up with the turbo for my car. i called eurodyne because i want to be able to make tweeks to the tune if needed. they again do not offer anything for my car.

MetalMan
03-11-2015, 09:38 AM
United Motorsports AEB Stage 3. I ran it, and several others ran it. Will need a MBC in parallel with the N75 to prevent overboost though (as with most tunes when used with FrankenTurbo).

Cj250mills
03-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I am just wrapping up a frankenturbo on an AEB, I'm having a couple of issues myself.. I have a k0mpresd tune and the correct maf, injectors.. But I seem to be cutting fuel or boost when I get to anything higher than 16psi. I'm pretty sure I dont have a boost leak because It used to jump from 15 to 17 to 20 and then I would let off the throttle.. I installed a mbc to try to smooth out the onset of the boost a little but I'm still having trouble :/ Huge difference over stock though.. I cant wait till it runs correctly

pbcrazy
03-11-2015, 12:23 PM
2nd on the UM stage 3, I run it and it's a great tune

CJ: Are you sure you have the MBC plumbed correctly to be parallel? More than likely it's a boost leak, or the tune.

xdewaynex
03-11-2015, 01:50 PM
FT and AEB here as well, but one of few or maybe the only one running C2 Motorsports tune with 440cc injectors and 3" maf housing. Running an mbc parallel as well. For a daily driver its definitely a great setup. Car is tuned for 25psi but I have it dialed down to 22psi just to play it safe.

FeebleBiscuit
03-11-2015, 01:58 PM
I just called C2 and I didn't realize that they will custom tune it for your setup. The guy said I can use the stage 5 set up and get a stage 3 tune for now in I wanted to wait to go big. Thanks for all the replies. Now I'm wondering stage 3 or stage 5?

xdewaynex
03-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Back when I got my tune from them, their stage 3 use to be their stage 5. I wanted to do a custom tune, blow thru maf and 630cc injectors, but I just cant justify the extra $150/hr and be without a car at the moment.

FeebleBiscuit
03-11-2015, 03:35 PM
I see what your saying. It's kind of a pain. Im thinking about just going with the stage 5 because if I don't. I'll never get back around to it.

Cj250mills
03-11-2015, 05:49 PM
CJ: Are you sure you have the MBC plumbed correctly to be parallel? More than likely it's a boost leak, or the tune.

positive, I even took it out just to make sure.. it runs fine up to 5psi when i unplug the maf though

pbcrazy
03-11-2015, 07:55 PM
positive, I even took it out just to make sure.. it runs fine up to 5psi when i unplug the maf though

Either boost leak or tune then

walky_talky20
03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
So if you set the MBC to limit to 16psi, it runs fine? And set it to 17 and it will cut out at the top end?

thedownwardsprl
03-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Watching this guys cuz i got an f21 on my car no tune had to do my breather hose so i got the silicone pcv system that 034 offers and got their large turbo inlet hose. Curious to see how it will run on stock tune http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/12/9b0decb408e0e2a61d4dabe63da38cae.jpg oh and gOt these sweet transmissions cooler lines made for a New transmission cooler and getting a sHift improvement kit for the automatic. People dis me on the automatic but i wanna do it. . It's my wife's that refuses to drive stick

Cj250mills
03-12-2015, 06:46 PM
So I'm pretty sure my maf just got roasted with all the extra heat, with the maf plugged in my car couldnt even make any sort of pressure. Unplugged it and I'm fine up to 5psi. Plugged in a new (used) maf that I had and the car runs much better up to 5psi. So I think I need a new maf, and then on top of that, I suspect a boost leak limiting me to 6psi. it certainlyy feels like it. my car shakes really bad at anything above 5. I can push on it and it will build more boost so it must be a smallish leak. going to test it as soon as possible. new maf ordered.

I ran my ft on the stock tune for awhile, its really not bad at all.. feels like you would expect a stage 1++ tune to feel like

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 06:52 PM
Kinda sounds like a misfire. When's the last time you changed your plugs and what gap are you running?

thedownwardsprl
03-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Sweet. .. can't wait

Cj250mills
03-15-2015, 09:05 AM
The more I read the more I suspect the plugs.. not sure what gap I'm running, it's whatever autozone gave me last summer.. Might be worth a shot.. I did find a huge leak on the vacuum line running from the intake manifold to the FPR.. that could have very likely been what was causing the issue around 16psi. Are plugs known for failing under pressure? I have been getting a cylinder 2 & random misfire code so plugs could be a likely culprit. are they known for failing under specific boost levels though? I can be anywhere in the rev range no problem but as soon as I go over 6psi at all the car begins the shaking

pbcrazy
03-15-2015, 09:15 AM
The more I read the more I suspect the plugs.. not sure what gap I'm running, it's whatever autozone gave me last summer.. Might be worth a shot.. I did find a huge leak on the vacuum line running from the intake manifold to the FPR.. that could have very likely been what was causing the issue around 16psi. Are plugs known for failing under pressure? I have been getting a cylinder 2 & random misfire code so plugs could be a likely culprit. are they known for failing under specific boost levels though? I can be anywhere in the rev range no problem but as soon as I go over 6psi at all the car begins the shaking

Cylinder 2 misfire is usually caused by a dying ICM. Before I deleted my ICM I couldn't go over 13psi without horrible misfires, but you can try getting BKR7e's and gap them to .028" and see if it helps

Cj250mills
03-15-2015, 11:19 AM
haha oh I know it.. had a really bad problem about a year ago and it turned out to be the ICM, I'm pretty sure mine is fine but i'll double check the voltage when I change the plugs

Cj250mills
03-16-2015, 09:35 PM
I found the culprit. This spark plug was pretty messed up. So I got a new set and the car runs much better... still misses at high boost like 17-18+ so I figure I needed to bring down the gap a little ways to compensate for the high pressure. I went to .026ish and then down to .024ish and I'm still experiencing misses.. I was thinking of trying out something higher like .028 tomorrow.. Does anyone know what it optimal or does it totally depend on the health of the ignition system? If I cant get them to stop missing I think I'm going to go with an icm delete and fsi coils to try to get things under control..

http://i.imgur.com/DuI9jGR.jpg

AudiSport12
03-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Decided to go off this thread..

May pull the trigger very soon. Is the $100 hardware kit pretty necessary? I'll also get my noob questions out of the way, for the Motoza remote tune, how exactly does this work? Logs are pulled and sent back and from remotely to fine tune it? Does this require VAG-COM on my laptop? Do my options shown here look to be everything needed? I will be running an RAI test pipe with SSAC 2.25 exhaust I already have waiting to be installed and my Forge 007. FMIC will be purchased soon. Any other suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/5l1g7n.jpg

pbcrazy
03-19-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure what the hardware kit is, but assuming it's just the 2 gaskets and 3 nuts from the turbo->Cat I would say no to $100. You'll want to go with APR bolts for the manifold->turbo anyway, and the gaskets are $6-10 each and the nuts are like $1 each. Everything else looks fine except if I could go back in time I would get the ceramic coating. It's like $60 (IIRC) and well worth it, I regret not getting it.

AudiSport12
03-19-2015, 06:17 PM
I'll add the ceramic then. And I imagine this is everything that comes in the hardware kit in the picture.
Oil drain line gaskets
Turbo lock plate
Manifold to turbo gasket
Exhaust manifold washers
Exhaust manifold nuts
Turbo to cat gasket
Turbo cat converter nuts
Exhaust manifold gasket
And looks like turbo studs

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/3248fbf82f30e5ca6eb9ae6566889bac.jpg

pbcrazy
03-19-2015, 06:38 PM
You could probably piece that out for around $50-75, but it might be worth it just to not mess with it. When I bought mine quite a few of those were included

AudiSport12
03-19-2015, 06:42 PM
So how does the tune work? Is it a preloaded ECU sent to me or all done remotely?

pbcrazy
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM
So how does the tune work? Is it a preloaded ECU sent to me or all done remotely?
Honestly don't know, none of these were options when I bought mine. I would assume you send in your ECU to Motoza or wherever and they will flash it and send it back, that is how about 99% of tunes are done.

Doug@FrankenTurbo
03-19-2015, 07:29 PM
I'll add the ceramic then. And I imagine this is everything that comes in the hardware kit in the picture.
Oil drain line gaskets
Turbo lock plate
Manifold to turbo gasket
Exhaust manifold washers
Exhaust manifold nuts
Turbo to cat gasket
Turbo cat converter nuts
Exhaust manifold gasket
And looks like turbo studs

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/19/3248fbf82f30e5ca6eb9ae6566889bac.jpg

Your screen shot doesn't do our picture much justice, but nevertheless the hardware kit includes everything necessary to install the turbo, manifold & inlet pipe. The hardware includes 034Motorsports' small 10mm hex manifold/cylinder head nuts, which are handy for the close quarters around the manifold's flange.

Cj250mills
03-19-2015, 09:16 PM
I just wanted to chime in to voice my resoolution. I swapped coil packs with a buddy and have zero misfire problems whatsoever! Really solid, I need an intercooler bad.