PDA

View Full Version : Cct issue..help please

Cbotello
03-08-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm Trying to replace the cam chain tensioner and gaskets but I'm stumped on of the motor has to be on tdc to remove it or just mark the chain and make sure it doesn't move.. How do u set the motor to tdc ? Can u turn the exhaust cam or do u have to turn it from the crank I've been trying to turn it at the crank but it's to tight to get a ratchet In there.. Help anyone ? I have an atw btw

walky_talky20
03-08-2015, 08:37 PM
If it's a 5-speed, just put it in 5th gear and push the car forward.

If it's an automatic, well...fix that problem first. Then worry about the tensioner!

Real answer for auto trans: remove all the spark plugs so it rolls easy. Then you might get away with rotating it from the cam. You can also help it along by pulling on the accessory drive belt, or turning the alternator pulley.

To answer your first question: yes you could theoretically remove the tensioner at any position so long as you marked the chain and such. But I would highly (HIGHLY) recommend you do it at TDC so you can use the factory marks as a double check. Make sure you understand exactly how to count the links properly.

redline380
03-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Cant you do this?

-Loosen tension on cams with the tool
-Loosen intake cam caps
-Pull up intake cam after loosening CCT bolts
-Put back together

Not positive, but that should work, right? And of course you wouldn't lose timing since the cam would just rotate on the chain links and rotate back when put back together.

walky_talky20
03-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah, you can. But the chance of the chain jumping while the tensioner is not installed is pretty high. I mean... being that there's no tension on it and such.

I suggest 5MT swap first. Then replace tensioner. It's just a better way to go.

redline380
03-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I suggest 5MT swap first. Then replace tensioner. It's just a better way to go.

No argument here.

Cbotello
03-08-2015, 11:00 PM
So I set it to tdc and after removing old tensioner and replacing with new one the chain is not lining up it was just a hair off I had read that if it was just a little off it would be ok so I reinstalled everything and the car idles really bad and the check engine light is flashing how do I reset the timing ?

walky_talky20
03-09-2015, 06:58 AM
"just a hair off" is no good. It's either correct, or it's not. Hence why I said "Make sure you understand exactly how to count the links properly."

First, you should check the codes to make sure you actually have a timing problem. It could just be a coil pack that died when you touched it (or wires that broke by moving them).

Cbotello
03-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Will a obd2 scanner from any autoparts store tell me what's the problem or do I need Ross tech for this

walky_talky20
03-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Obd2 scanner? Maybe. Probably.

Cbotello
03-11-2015, 12:26 PM
So I started the car the next day and it ran fine idk what happend but I can still hear the rattling from the chain what did I do wrong

walky_talky20
03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Still rattling? Like how bad are we talking? Cold, hot, low rpm, high rpm, all the time?

It could be that your rattling was never a bad tensioner, just inadequate oil pressure to said tensioner (ie: the sludge monster cometh for you). Did you check oil pressure before diagnosing as a bad tensioner?

Cbotello
03-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Anytime I'm driving and I put the clutch in or when I rev the car and the rpms are coming back down...