PDA

View Full Version : giac tune

S44rings
03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Hey, anyone with any experience at apikol in Boulder. I'm thinking of getting a giac tune for my b8 s4. I would love to pick some brains about the whole thing.

Thanks,

John Howerter

Docwyte
03-03-2015, 07:30 AM
I've got the GIAC stage 2 on my B8 S4. Had it done locally in Denver at Autobahn Premier Service. Apikol is a good shop too.

S44rings
03-03-2015, 04:11 PM
How do you like the tune? Any issues? Have you heard about any issues with automatics going bad with the tune and dsg flash? I don't see exhaust listed on your mods. The guy at Apikol said that a lot of guys are doing the tune and pulley with no intake or exhaust. Seemed hard to believe, but I guess that is true.

Thanks

crazy8smokey
03-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Amazing
Do it

Docwyte
03-04-2015, 08:16 AM
The tune and pulley make a tremendous difference in power. Way, WAY more power and torque, really the best bang for the buck out there for the car. The tune/DSG tune haven't caused any issues that I know of, nobody on the B8 S4 forum has said anything about it. I have a 6MT myself, so I can't speak for the DSG tune, but apparently it makes a big difference and is required if you do the pulley.

Autobahn has been trying to talk people out of doing the pulley and I don't know why. It makes a HUGE difference in low end power and adds more up top as well. It's worth the cost of doing it all at once.

Right now I have a stock exhaust on the car and only did the intake because I needed a new air filter and found the AWE S-FLo used for a good price. The exhaust/intake aren't necessary, an aftermarket exhaust sounds cool, but adds no appreciable power. The intakes do add an incremental increase, but not a ton.

I'd like to add an exhaust just to add a little sound/emotion to the car, but I don't expect any power gains from it.

S44rings
03-04-2015, 12:54 PM
nice, thanks for the insight, i'm gonna call autobahn for fun and ask about the pulley,
yeah, thats crazy that exhaust is not necessary when adding so much more power with stg 2. I mean, if I don't have to spend 3k on an installed exhaust then good for me. Though i agree an exhaust would really round out the experience. That was one of my complaints going from the b6 s4 with full exhaust to the b8 s4 was that the b8 was too smooth. Of course that is a good thing, but sometimes you want to hear it.

thanks,

Docwyte
03-04-2015, 01:07 PM
I used to have a B6 S4 avant with a Milltek exhaust, it sounded so sexy! I like the sound of a nice exhaust, that's why I'll more than likely add one to my car, even though it adds little to no power.

Apparently my car was only the 2nd car they installed a pulley on. They didn't have the pulley removal tool until they did my car. It did take awhile for the ECU to adapt to the new programming and pulley, it didn't feel particularly impressive when I first picked it up. After driving for a few weeks tho, the car was substantially more powerful than stock.

It's definitely worth doing the pulley if you can afford it.