PDA

View Full Version : gt28r

freeskiwp
09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
In light of all the recent ko4 elim crazyness has anyone seen this ?
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/kits/kit_VW_18T_Longitudinal.htm#

I ran multiple searches but really didnt find anyone talking about this kit. IT says is comes with software. Does anyone know anything about this software? The website also mentions nothing of bigger injectors but im sure they are needed as well as a front mount and exhaust. I guess im just suprised that no one has mentioned this, the impression i get is that it bolts up to a stock manifold.. did i miss something or just do a bad job searching??

Flossin
09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I have seen this kit before and the hp #s look really low. I guessing the software is crap.

freeskiwp
09-14-2005, 03:44 PM
yeah..that may be the case..for 1800 bucks i dont know of many other kits that will provide 215 whp. people arent getting that with the ko4 eliminators....yet...it just seemed like a reasonable alternative. i would really like to know who did the tuning...

marcini
09-14-2005, 03:47 PM
atp

freeskiwp
09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
atp does the tuning? dont they outsource thier tuning now anyways? I agree that the numbers dont show the true potential of the turbo. Perhaps with bigger injectors and some sort of piggy back tuning you could fine tune it to its potential.

94jedi
09-14-2005, 04:24 PM
the main problem here again is the exhaust mani...I don't think you can make over 220hp on a stock exhaust mani. P&P or Kinetic, maybe but a stock exhaust mani just doesn't flow enough for a big tubo like that.

all that being said, this probably makes more HP than the elim kits with mika s/w.

freeskiwp
09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah the stock exhaust mani is restrictive for a big turbo. From the looks of this turbo it uses an adapter flange type thing. So for future tuning you could just remover the adapter and bolt it up to a high flow manifold i would imagine.

bitterchild
09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by freeskiwp
yeah the stock exhaust mani is restrictive for a big turbo. From the looks of this turbo it uses an adapter flange type thing. So for future tuning you could just remover the adapter and bolt it up to a high flow manifold i would imagine.

you'd have to modify the exhaust path again if you did so since the new manifold won't have the turbo sitting in the same place.

audidrvr
09-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
you'd have to modify the exhaust path again if you did so since the new manifold won't have the turbo sitting in the same place.

???
If you look at the pic it seems that the flang can just be unbolted which would give you the ability of a using a real exhuast mani. All you would have to do to the exhuast is loosen the cat and dp bolts to shift, retighten and go. It seems like a good starter kit that the self tuner can grow into. i have been thinking about it for about a year but other things come up.

Droors43
09-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by 94jedi
the main problem here again is the exhaust mani...I don't think you can make over 220hp on a stock exhaust mani. P&P or Kinetic, maybe but a stock exhaust mani just doesn't flow enough for a big tubo like that.

all that being said, this probably makes more HP than the elim kits with mika s/w.

Where did you get this number and how many people have used a BT on a stock mani other than the Elim guys and shown dynos?

I say you are wrong about this...but then again, I don't know for sure.

bitterchild
09-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by audidrvr
???
If you look at the pic it seems that the flang can just be unbolted which would give you the ability of a using a real exhuast mani. All you would have to do to the exhuast is loosen the cat and dp bolts to shift, retighten and go. It seems like a good starter kit that the self tuner can grow into. i have been thinking about it for about a year but other things come up.

you overestimate the amount of freeplay you have to work with exhaustwise or underestimate where the aftermarket manifols places the turbo. besides, nobody would use a stock exhaust w/ a gt28r.

Awadd9
09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Droors43
Where did you get this number and how many people have used a BT on a stock mani other than the Elim guys and shown dynos?

I say you are wrong about this...but then again, I don't know for sure.

I am running te stock manifold with a GT28R turbo on my B6 A4 1.8T.

Full cat converter too.

whp
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/3682AMW05_071.jpg

Juggernaut A4
09-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I know that this is kind of off topic but... did you guys see those numbers from the kit for the Hayabusa...235 whp! Those things haul ass stock no think about it.

freeskiwp
09-14-2005, 09:50 PM
those are nice numbers Awadd9. what mods do you have besides a mangled belly pan?

rowdysaudi1
09-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Are we in agreeance with sticking to modding the manifold and getting the regular gt28r or eliminator? If so, there is no reason to bicker. Then again, what the hell do i know.

bitterchild
09-15-2005, 06:38 AM
i think awadd99 is the test car for that kit. good numbers.

Droors43
09-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Awadd9

Full cat converter too.

whp

Nice....

I was saying that the guy who mentioned that you can only get 220hp out of the stock mani is wrong about what he said.

Your response proved him wrong.

Thanks.

94jedi
09-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Droors43
Nice....

I was saying that the guy who mentioned that you can only get 220hp out of the stock mani is wrong about what he said.

Your response proved him wrong.

Thanks.

WOW! good numbers, I guess I've been proven *way* wrong.....Maybe the stock mani isn't as much of a restriction as I thought????

Awad99, what kit is that? can you list all your other mods to make those #'?

Thanks

audidrvr
09-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
you overestimate the amount of freeplay you have to work with exhaustwise or underestimate where the aftermarket manifols places the turbo. besides, nobody would use a stock exhaust w/ a gt28r.

Good point, but one could upgrade the exhuast and mani at the same time resolving that issue.

I think the point the freeskwip and myself are looking at is that this kit that produces ko4 power is a good starting point to grow and build on. What are some thoughts on that? A few upgrades and a piggyback setup and you should be able to get tons more power out of the setup. Correct me if I am wrong.

onemoremile
09-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Awadd9

Full cat converter too.

whp

ain't that a kick in the nuts? real power on a stock manifold. who'd a thunk it?

running a 3071 on a stock mani would be pointless but a 300 horse turbo should be just fine. it might not be fully optimized but it would make nice numbers. it would probably spool quite nicely too.

bitterchild
09-15-2005, 11:03 AM
no, it wouldn't spool as well as w/ a well designed manifold. the stock mani was designed w/ packaging in mind, not exhaust velocity