PDA

View Full Version : started the process of moving the cd changer

SeanF
09-14-2005, 12:04 PM
ok, so ive been thinking about getting my cd changer out of my trunk for a loong time...

i got bored so i made the trek to my car (i live in the dorms and park at the corner of campus, the closest student parking (about a half mile away)

tried to track down the cd changer cable... its behind the backseat, but not the part that folds down... so it took me a minute to figure out how to get that piece off...

you pull down the bottom and a hook pops off a bar, and then in the middle, you push the piece to the outside of the car, and slide back... then the top should slide out...

then theres a bundle of wire, with all these little zip tie type things, but you squeeze the point of them and they pull apart..

there is about 5-6 of these, and 2 more in the trunk... im not sure why, but the wire goes to the fold down part of the seat, then back towards the tailights...then to the front of the car...

with all the bundles undone, the wire should slide from the trunk to the cab of the car... and from there, i just tucked it up, and put the changer under the seat (temporarily..) it was so hot outside so i decided to make it a 2 step process to get it up to the glove box area...

put the car back together, tested, and was on my way back to the dorm...

sean

SeanF
09-14-2005, 02:41 PM
anyone else do this?

quickglx
09-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Nope, passenger compartment is already too crowded... I tucked mine into the pocket on the driver side floor next to the spare in the trunk. It sticks out like an inch above the floor so I plan to adapt a newer style door in the side to protect it and give me a nice stash space for small junk. Are you just gonna mount it under the glovebox?

Starting
09-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I used to have mine in front of my driver seat on the floor. I'm the only person that drives my car so i put it right up against the seat and held it in place with some velcro. Never had a problem with it and it was extremely easy to change Cd's.

juju4uofa
09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm doing this soon. I'm moving it to the glove box but was planning on splicing into the back of the radio instead of moving the wires. Now, I may pull the seat though, we'll see. Let us know when you get it done. BTW, this would be an awesome DIY write up.

SeanF
09-14-2005, 08:22 PM
i may leave it where it is, its hidden enough, i may move it... i move my seat alot, so it has to be where it is or away from the driver seat... ill look into where the wire goes after now, and see if its feesable to get it to the glove box...

Audi A4 1.8T
09-15-2005, 03:56 AM
just get a phatbox..just got mine for 160n shipped

94jedi
09-15-2005, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Audi A4 1.8T
just get a phatbox..just got mine for 160n shipped

I think this is my next mod...

juju4uofa
09-15-2005, 04:45 AM
what's a phatbox

Starting
09-15-2005, 06:37 AM
I doubt it is going to fit in our glove boxes. It is a pretty big thing. I have an aftermarket headunit in my glove box now but i doubt the cd changer would work there.

SeanF
09-15-2005, 06:40 AM
im not planning on moving it into the glovebox, just in that area...

i dont want a phatbox, 1 because i already have a cd changer, 2 cuz i dont want to spend 160 on it, and 3 cuz i already have an mp3 player i can hook into the car...

Audi A4 1.8T
09-15-2005, 08:31 AM
you could sell all taht and get a phatbox, and never had to change a cd... just a though...

juju4uofa
09-15-2005, 08:38 AM
what's a phatbox