PDA

View Full Version : hawk pads rattling

IndieRockSteve
09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I have my Hawk HPS pads and they're rattling like crazy in the calipers. Anyone else running Hawks notice this? should I contact ECS and have them replaced or is this a "normal" occurance?

RedRocket
09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Were they installed correctly? Dumb question but how the hell could they rattle in the caliper?

Daft
09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I've heard of this happening with some other brands of pads o n the A4. The remedy that I've seen for it was to take a punch and strike it into the ear of the pad backing that hooks into the pad guide portion of the caliper.

By doing this, you expand the metal at the edge of the pad backing and cause it to hold the guide a little tighter. ECS used to offer this as a fix for some of heir pads but, they've removed the discussion forum from their site.

A4ed
09-14-2005, 12:31 PM
By rattle, do you mean a little buzzing noise that happens sometimes in the lower gears, or constant rattling? I think i have the same problem with my pads, but it shouldn't be a problem anymore anyway because im having them taken off. the Squeal is now too much to take.

AudiA4_mation
09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
i use to have the same problem with my hawks, do you usually get it when you are off the brakes? for some reason they just did not sit right into the caliper carrier. I would try maybe using some of that pad quiet gel to help keep them in place better or try what Daft suggested.

MikekiM
09-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Just make sure the clips on the inner pad are bent out enough. If they're loose inside the piston, then the pad could rattle.

IndieRockSteve
09-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I had them installed by my audi shop, they say they've seen this before with other aftermarket pads. they rattle (like metal clanging) when I go over bumps. when I'm hitting the breaks you don't hear it because of the pressure being applied.

I'll check with the shop and see if they'd be willing to try these ideas.

thanks,