PDA

View Full Version : 10+ old noisy transmission quieted down to nothing with.......Redline MT90 trans oil.

A1 A2 German
02-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Not much of a thread, however making it for people in the future who search.

I bought my Audi many moons ago with a chipped syncro/chipped 1st gear. It was pretty noisy, actually very noisy to the point where people would ask,"What's wrong?". Other then the noise, it was never an issue and worked perfect. I kinda learned to jump into 2nd to avoid the chatter noise through parking lots.

So on a maintenance binge I was thinking "what else?", for whatever reason not once had I put thought into the gear oil so snatched me up some:

Red Line Oil Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant MT90 GL-4 75W90, it quieted right up! It's been 4 months and is smooth, all gone.

__________________________________________________ ______________

MT90 GL-4 75W90 (3 Quarts) $44 shipped via Ebay found all day long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Line-Oil-Synthetic-Manual-Transmission-Lubricant-MT90-GL-4-75W90-3-Quarts-/360964061493?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540b227935

Also, it always strange to me, the single bit maybe $14 by itself, however a full 10,12,16 piece kit WITH a carrying case with be ~$22 shipped. For me I bought the full kit to take out the trans plug:

Neiko XZN Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set, Metric, 10-Piece

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neiko-XZN-Triple-Square-Spline-Bit-Socket-Set-Metric-10-Piece-/261531340822?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce47b9016

redline380
02-26-2015, 02:12 PM
The thing is though, isn't that stuff a little thick for us northerners? Both my B5's are notchy in second. I know I have 75-90 royal purple in my sedan, not sure what is in my avant though. I will probably change it sooner or later

Mad Cow
02-26-2015, 02:30 PM
The thing is though, isn't that stuff a little thick for us northerners? Both my B5's are notchy in second. I know I have 75-90 royal purple in my sedan, not sure what is in my avant though. I will probably change it sooner or later

Yep, 75w90 is too thick for winter. I'm running Amsoil 75w90 and shifting into second sucks until it warms up. Redline MTL is pretty close to OEM fluid but a bit thicker. The proper stuff is Fuchs Titan Sintofluid, but it's basically impossible to find this side of the Atlantic.

Davdraco1
02-26-2015, 02:45 PM
I was having issues later winter with shifting into second and third when its cold out and i had a fluid service done. the issue stayed so a month later after hearing that gm syncromesh gear oil would work, i put that in there. it worked thru the winter but im having issues again. should i try thus?

A1 A2 German
02-26-2015, 02:53 PM
*Results may very [:D]

I'm in Arizona, stuff works like a champ from key start.

redline380
02-26-2015, 02:55 PM
The proper stuff is Fuchs Titan Sintofluid, but it's basically impossible to find this side of the Atlantic.

Found some on ebay for 22/qt, free shipping. Awfully tempting....

pbcrazy
02-26-2015, 03:34 PM
Same stuff I use. Not problems with 2nd or anything else (granted it only gets to about 0*F here at worst)

Davdraco1
02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Coldest I've had was about 16 F below

Mad Cow
02-26-2015, 04:17 PM
Found some on ebay for 22/qt, free shipping. Awfully tempting....

That's a great deal, I have a local shop that can special order it for around $25/qt.

redline380
02-26-2015, 04:22 PM
That's a great deal, I have a local shop that can special order it for around $25/qt.

I got a bunch of car stuff for free from some guy, and just solf an FSI pcv adapter plate for $40. I was on the fence about what to use the money for but I opted for billet injector cups. I'll do the tranny fluid this summer maybe

coolgraymemo
02-26-2015, 04:22 PM
I ordered the same fluid from the same seller on eBay. I shopped around and that was the cheapest.
I have it waiting in my garage. Will be replacing this weekend.

Another GL4 fluid that is supposed to be good is Ravenol from Blau Parts.

M-Hood
03-01-2015, 06:42 AM
*Results may very [:D]

I'm in Arizona, stuff works like a champ from key start.

Yeah it works great for cars that are driven in warm conditions, been running the stuff in my transmissions for years and it even fixed a slight gear grinding issue I had when I did my first fluid change on my original transmission. I just end up ordering my Redline by the gallon since I was going thru 01A transmissions so quickly, can't expect them to last long while making 650-700+awhp. I plan on running the same gear oil in my 3.0 01E 6 speed transmission that I just picked up on Friday.

I also mix in about 1/4 of a bottle of Redline Shockproof.

seanf86
03-01-2015, 07:04 AM
I run 2qts MT90 1qt MTL in my b5. Shifting to 2nd sucks just as bad as before I changed the fluid, I've learned to deal with it. Doesnt fix the tough spot going into 3rd tho.

M-Hood
03-01-2015, 08:25 AM
I run 2qts MT90 1qt MTL in my b5. Shifting to 2nd sucks just as bad as before I changed the fluid, I've learned to deal with it. Doesnt fix the tough spot going into 3rd tho.

I have you tried running just straight MTL or the Redline MT85?

seanf86
03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I have you tried running just straight MTL or the Redline MT85?
No I have not, since I just changed it I'll try something else next fluid change in a year.

coolgraymemo
03-01-2015, 05:09 PM
I ordered the same fluid from the same seller on eBay. I shopped around and that was the cheapest.
I have it waiting in my garage. Will be replacing this weekend.

Done.

Shifting feels about the same as before. Still notchy to engage second when cold.

bhusted
03-01-2015, 06:53 PM
I've been running MTL for about 10k miles. Shifts are like butter. Before, I had the typical 2nd and 3rd difficulty. I think MTL is a little bit lighter than the stock fluid, but for the slightly colder temps that I see, it has worked out great.

coolgraymemo
03-16-2015, 02:30 PM
My input:

My car had gear fluid with at least 50-60,000 miles. I do not think the previous owner ever replaced it so it may have had 145,000 miles on it.

I replaced with Redline MTL from the link in OP.

My transmission feels the same, if not worse than before.

For the first ten-fifteen minutes of driving, it is really difficult to get into second gear. Even after warming up, second gear is notchier than before.

I do not recommend it. I will likely be replacing the fluid with something else.

clumsyme
03-16-2015, 02:57 PM
My input:

My car had gear fluid with at least 50-60,000 miles. I do not think the previous owner ever replaced it so it may have had 145,000 miles on it.

For the first ten-fifteen minutes of driving, it is really difficult to get into second gear. Even after warming up, second gear is notchier than before.

I do not recommend it. I will likely be replacing the fluid with something else.

I am having the same issue. What are you going to look at next? I was thinking about going back to OEM

coolgraymemo
03-16-2015, 03:04 PM
I am having the same issue. What are you going to look at next? I was thinking about going back to OEM

Yep. I think some people recommended Fuchs. I'll look into it at a later time.

My friend works at the local dealership so he may be able to get the fluid cheaper.

clumsyme
03-16-2015, 03:10 PM
Yep. I think some people recommended Fuchs. I'll look into it at a later time.

My friend works at the local dealership so he may be able to get the fluid cheaper.

I have no idea what the dealer charges for the fluid, If its crazy I might beg to get me some

coolgraymemo
03-16-2015, 03:23 PM
It's going to be at least a few months before I replace.

A1 A2 German
03-16-2015, 07:49 PM
My input:

Wow, crazy, I wish I did this 10+ years ago lol. Much smoother and all the noise is gone. Shifts are fantastic.