PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof cheapo plasticss!!

woolveren
02-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Does anybody know what in the world these small crappy plastic pieces has to do in the sunroof track?

All these little plastic clips got bombarded in my car causing blockage in the track leading sunroof to stop working properly.

The reason why am asking this is to know whether cleaning broken plastic pieces on the track is good enough for sunroof to regain normal functionality OR do I need to to get new parts(ridiculously over priced)?

http://i60.tinypic.com/iqx84x.png

http://i57.tinypic.com/256gtbo.png

woolveren
02-24-2015, 06:20 AM
Anyone? [=(]

FeebleBiscuit
02-24-2015, 07:56 AM
There not important for it to work I probably makes the track run smoother I broke most of mine off when I fixed my sunroof and I haven't notice any more noise. Also I pull those new pieces from a junk yard car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woolveren
02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
There not important for it to work I probably makes the track run smoother I broke most of mine off when I fixed my sunroof and I haven't notice any more noise. Also I pull those new pieces from a junk yard car.

This is how mine looks, pretty much all the 'plasticsss' are dry rotted and gone. Wondering whether I should put new parts before putting the track back in the car..

But I see no reason for those plastics pieces to be there other than what you have said.. Those plastic guides just helps a smooth straight travel for the components, but parts would still operate normally even without those plastic pieces from my understanding...

http://i58.tinypic.com/z4o7a.jpg

FeebleBiscuit
02-25-2015, 08:01 AM
It should work as intended. As for new pieces that's up to you and how much you want to spend. I didn't want to spend the kind of money that ECS is asking for those. I would just make sure the cables look good (not worn) check by were the cable is fed through the slide and try to remove anything that might get snagged that could make it jam and then Break the cable. If your looking for parts my sunroof assembly is out of a passat just make sure the motor matches. The junk yard is great for this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woolveren
02-26-2015, 07:49 AM
It should work as intended. As for new pieces that's up to you and how much you want to spend.

The junk yard is great for this stuff.

IMO, engineers failed miserably in building B5 sunroofs by using these plastic bumpers. These plastic pieces acts as bumpers/ shock absorbents in the sunroof track, but the problem is after 4 or 5 years these plastics just break due to the amount of vibration and increased friction on the track due to lack of proper lubrication. They could have used some other material here, probably some metal. I don't think this was a part of cost reduction, their engineers made a poor decision by selecting plastic bumpers where they did not consider the long term reliability effects.

All mechanical parts in my sunroof track are in good condition, but the plastic bumpers are all messed up. I will at least get new parts for the glider and the cable set to regain plastic bumpers, otherwise it can cause irritating clunks when going over irregular pavements which I was already getting. I really don't want to put the track back using old junk yard parts as they will be also at the end of their life.. TBH, I don't want to take out the headliner in my car again.. [:D]