PDA

View Full Version : Sick And Tired Of The Squeel

PDRaudi
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I've become so annoyed with my brakes, that squeel is not attractive or cool at all. Driving around daily, it's no fun rolling up to some hunnies as I chirp my way to the line with a nice big smile and my gold rimmed glasses. I'm just wondering if I just pulled out my OEM rotors and got some new slotted ones, could this solve it all together. I must admit I can be a hard braker but it's when I'm being competative. So my question is, what would 90% sure prevent that squeeling sound from interupting my nice, fun in the sun, daily drives?

Side note, brake pads have been discussed time over time again and we still have no idea what is the best, so lets not even get into that.

NO PAD TALK

pigliiit
09-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Just get your rotors turned and put some Metal Masters on.

Daft
09-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by PDRaudi
I've become so annoyed with my brakes, that squeel is not attractive or cool at all. I'm just wondering if I just pulled out my OEM rotors and got some new slotted ones, could this solve it all together.

Side note, brake pads have been discussed time over time again and we still have no idea what is the best, so lets not even get into that.

NO PAD TALK

Well, the rotors don't squeal all by their own so, I'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this.

The squealing that you hear is the rotor resonating as the pads sweep across the friction area. This happens more often when brake dust builds up on the pads/rotors or when you have a frictional issue between a given pad/rotor combo.

This is why alot of people have issues with pads like the Mintex pads.

The bottom line is that you can put whatever rotor on that you want but, there's no guarantee that the noise will go away. In addition, I'd skip the slotted/cross-drilled rotors as an OEM replacement. You're much better off just getting a set of plain faced rotors.

RedRocket
09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Change the rotors and PADS

Take everything out and clean, machine, lube and antisqueel the break pads. Clean up the caliper tracks where the pads slide.......replace caliper retaining clips.....

Maintenance man maintenance.....

DDQ
09-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Slotted rotors tend to be much noisier than non-slotted.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PADS! And make sure you bed them properly. For great info on this, read the write-ups on the StopTech website in their technical section.

onemoremile
09-13-2005, 02:04 PM
put some anti-squeal paste on the backs of the pads. there is a reason that this stuff exists.

joeya103
09-13-2005, 04:46 PM
why no pad talk? that's like saying "which chip is the best...and i don't wanna hear ANYthing about apr or giac!"

if you have mintex reds, i guarantee squeaking like crazy. my pbr metalmasters rarely if ever squeak.