PDA

View Full Version : Whys the bodyshop refusing to paint my lowers?



Russ D
09-12-2005, 11:14 PM
I rolled down to the bodyshop today because I had to get a quote on my chevelle to get a full paint + a little rust repair.

Figuring Id be spending at least 3 grand on that I figured what the heck, I'd ask about throwing painting the lowers on the audi in too.

Anyway, the guy said something about it being textured plastic, it rejects the paint and will peel like mad in like 6 months and I'll have wasted $300?? Is the guy smoking rock or is there any truth to that?

Though maybe I should start looking for another bodyshop... the Chevelle's quote was AT LEAST 6 grand and AT LEAST 18 months!

Skippster86
09-12-2005, 11:18 PM
They just dont want to do the prep work, thats BS man, if you are paying that much, they should prime and paint for you.

My advice, spend a few days and do it right yourself.

VtAudi
09-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm going on 3 years w/ no pealing or cracking.... they just dont want to do the work, you can even cheat by using a certain plastic primer, not as good as sanding it all but better......

kris_tdi
09-13-2005, 12:12 AM
just an excuse to not do it, did mine myself, all it required was some sanding down, then a couple of coats of plastic primer, then built it up with 2-pack filler primer, sanded it smooth with 800 grit, a few layers of basecoat followed by a fine layer of laquer, then a wet coat of laquer. 4 years on and the paint is still there.

Audi Skate Snow
09-13-2005, 01:57 AM
because they are pussies....i painted my lowers about a year ago, as long as you sand properly and primer and paint the coats evenly, you should be great. save yourself the money and do it yourself....whats the worst that can happen? You painting them in 6 months again.....takes less than 5 hours to do...so if you think about it you might have to paint them twice a year which saves you 1000's of dollars.


Duplicolor briliant Silver is the paint

buck
09-13-2005, 07:41 AM
I've inquired about getting my lowers painted. The body shop guy said that the side ones are tough as they are flexible and the paint could crack in the winter if you say open your door and hit a curb. He just didn't really recommend it. I'm assuming he didn't want to be responsible in the case that I did chip them and tried to get him to warranty it.

whatever... maybe I'll do it one day. looks pretty sweet, and lots of guys who do it on their own have no issues.

94jedi
09-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by buck
I've inquired about getting my lowers painted. The body shop guy said that the side ones are tough as they are flexible and the paint could crack in the winter if you say open your door and hit a curb. He just didn't really recommend it. I'm assuming he didn't want to be responsible in the case that I did chip them and tried to get him to warranty it.

whatever... maybe I'll do it one day. looks pretty sweet, and lots of guys who do it on their own have no issues.

Buck, pm me if you find a paint that matches santorin. I've been looking forever now and can't find a good deal.

Poopie
09-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Paintscratch.com, but its kinda expensive.

J_C
09-13-2005, 09:07 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1983183

this link is helpful if you wanna paint them yourself. i plan on doing mine before the year's up

joeya103
09-13-2005, 09:12 AM
they just wanna cover their asses. as long as you're not kicking the crap out of your sides, the paint should hold up just fine. but just in case you do, they don't want you running back to them crying about it.

i painted mine over a year ago and they've held up great.

Russ D
09-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Audi Skate Snow


Duplicolor briliant Silver is the paint


Is this the correct silver for the 98.5 too? I think they went to a brighter silver in the later B5's and I think mine is the darker one? Anyone know?

b5audi(t)
09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
How much sanding should you do on the front and rear valences?

Ben@SpeedBarn
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Yeah basically most shops that do good work and are busy will want to pass on painting lowers. The chances of it chipping, pealing, and cracking are very high compared to regular body parts. Even though with proper care it will be fine they don't want to risk their reputation. Even if you signed saying there was no warranty word of mouth could hurt their business.

That is the benifit of being known for doing good work. You have enough work that you can pass up the smaller riskier jobs that aren't worth it.

AudiMan
09-13-2005, 01:09 PM
no decent body shop would be willing to do the sides. the front and rears will be passed up because like Ben said, its just not worth it for them. The valences require lots of sanding and preping for it to look perfect. I had mine done along with other body work and it turned out great.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/111PHTO0005-med.JPG
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/111PHTO0003-med.JPG

another guy with a santorin B5 was getting his lowers done from them too after an accident so i thought i'd do the same, its been about a year now and both valences still look new, the place is called Doug's in Chatsworth, CA.

joeya103
09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
audiman, your rear valence looks incredible and shiny! wow...i should've sanded more haha.

flyinb501
09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Audi Skate Snow
because they are pussies....i painted my lowers about a year ago, as long as you sand properly and primer and paint the coats evenly, you should be great. save yourself the money and do it yourself....whats the worst that can happen? You painting them in 6 months again.....takes less than 5 hours to do...so if you think about it you might have to paint them twice a year which saves you 1000's of dollars.


Duplicolor briliant Silver is the paint
When I did mine I used the radiant silver. Thats what everyone was saying to use. I wish mine were as shiny as audiman's. Do you think if I wet sanded them and did another cote they would be glossier?

93///318
09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
the front and rears should be no problem, just like any other bumper plastic. what about the sides though? arent they more of a rubber type, you guys are not having any problems there?

joeya103
09-13-2005, 08:35 PM
yep, painted right over the rubber. i lightly sanded, sprayed plastic primer, and then paint/clearcoat. it's held up fine

flyinb501
09-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by joeya103
yep, painted right over the rubber. i lightly sanded, sprayed plastic primer, and then paint/clearcoat. it's held up fine
Me too. No problems there. If you really wanted to do it right I think you could add a flex agent to the paint for the rubber parts.

AudiMan
09-13-2005, 11:38 PM
you MUST use the flex agent for the rubber parts, my valences feel and look exactly like body parts because of the time they took to prep them. I wish i saw how smooth they sanded them before painting. If I had S4 sides, i'd be elated, but i'm thinking about selling the car now that I have the IS.

Russ D
09-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by flyinb501
When I did mine I used the radiant silver. Thats what everyone was saying to use. I wish mine were as shiny as audiman's. Do you think if I wet sanded them and did another cote they would be glossier?

Definately would be glossier. The interior of my chevelle (much like any classic car) has a grip of metal inside. When I initially got it, it had turquoise interior and I changed it over to black. After prepping and filler primer, I just used gloss black duplicolor, 3 coats of that, 2 coats of clear, 1500 grit wet sand, 2000 grit wetsand and rubbed it out with 3M rubbing compound. It is Glossy, and at shows people have always been suprised when I told them it was spray paint and not base coat/clear coat automotive paint.