PDA

View Full Version : Cooling problem.......

HIstateS8
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
So, I'm driving to work this morning and I noticed my car started to run a little hot. Then the big red temp signal came on. I talked to Thomas, but he wouldn't know the prob until he looked at it in person. Both my fans work, my coolant is good too. Thomas said it may be my coolant expansion tank. So, I'm gonna try to replace that first. If not, do any other of you B5 S4 owners have/had this same problem???????? Gino, Del, Jesse???

Thomas@TAI-VW
09-13-2005, 04:47 AM
jurt remembered that you have the OEM water pump in there as well.They have a plastic impeller which can break up/spin off the shaft and not circulate water throughout the system............everything will "appear" normal,but if that impeller disintegrates there is no ciculation of coolant through the motor.A long-shot,but very possible.

Jesse S.
09-13-2005, 11:35 AM
no idea man.. btw Brandon where did you buy your cv boots. found a shop near my house that works on euros. [wrench]

HIstateS8
09-13-2005, 12:56 PM
You could be right tom.....as soon as I get paid, I'll come by.

OH and Jesse, I buy all my OEM parts from http://www.ecstuning.com. They have everything.

Raudi
09-15-2005, 09:57 PM
If it's your water pump, you might as well do the timing belt also. It could also be you coolant temp sensor just going nuts. Try replacing that. It's a $5 part from the dealer.

HIstateS8
09-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Raudi
If it's your water pump, you might as well do the timing belt also. It could also be you coolant temp sensor just going nuts. Try replacing that. It's a $5 part from the dealer.

nah, it's not my coolant temp sensor. It doesn't jump from cold to hot to cold or act weird. Plus, my oil temp goes up to 250F.

Guys on the S4 forum said that they think it sounds like my waterpump and thermostat.....who knows????

boostinmr2
09-16-2005, 02:47 AM
You'll never know until you rip it apart... My car is getting ripped up tuesday and I'm getting everything changed out cuz I had ONE SINGLE occurance where the temp needle was 1 or 2 ticks above middle and stayed up there...

Just to let you feel better though, the TTs have this problem that is considered to be normal by Audi where the needle is 2 ticks above the center all the time.

Thomas@TAI-VW
09-18-2005, 04:13 AM
I have seen my TT's gauge go past center when I was racing it for a few laps at HRP's road course,and in heavy traffic,it will always go back to center position 99% of the time.But those 250f oil temps are indicitave of something not right..........

HIstateS8
09-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I ordered the coolant exspansion tank. It'll get here on wed. So, I'ma change it out and see what happens. If it doesn't solve the problem, then I'll give ya call to schedule an appointment when, I get back from California. Thanks for being such a great help tom...[up][up]