PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing noise stops on turning right?

Tamarillo
02-16-2015, 05:07 PM
So she whines, (almost growls) once over 10kmh and it changes pitch as speed increases. Same noise coasting in neutral. Seems to be from rear.
And on a right turn (even slight) whine stops, to return when turn is finished.

I'm guessing that indicates right hand wheel bearing - as load is taken off it stops noise? On jack the wheel is noisy to turn but seems solid with no slack - though I realise that it is very hard to detect slack in modern cars. Noise could be merely slight binding on discs pads. It spins freely, pads are good.

Its a 1998 A4 2.4 Quatro.

I will probably take to excellent local audi mechanic but if its most likely bearing might look at it myself - good tools kit and some experience though never on Audi.

redline380
02-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Probably a bearing. Jack the car up and try to rock the wheel up and down. If there is play, the bearing is bad

Tamarillo
02-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Probably a bearing. Jack the car up and try to rock the wheel up and down. If there is play, the bearing is bad

Hi and thanks. did that and couldn't detect movement though have read that it is hard to get movement on modern bearings. Any special tools needed to do bearings on these?

redline380
02-16-2015, 05:21 PM
Hi and thanks. did that and couldn't detect movement though have read that it is hard to get movement on modern bearings. Any special tools needed to do bearings on these?

Incorrect info. If the bearing is bad, there will be play.

The bearings need to be pressed in.

Wait a second- Is yours front wheel drive? That may be different for diagnosing then. And they do not have to be pressed in. They are simple roller tapered bearings that just need to be torqued properly

adam044
02-16-2015, 05:50 PM

That's becuase you don't wear your bearings out like I just did.

Tamarillo
02-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Incorrect info. If the bearing is bad, there will be play.

The bearings need to be pressed in.

Wait a second- Is yours front wheel drive? That may be different for diagnosing then. And they do not have to be pressed in. They are simple roller tapered bearings that just need to be torqued properly

Quattro, thanks for info, will leave it to mechanics then.

crazy tarzan
02-17-2015, 12:03 PM
My '00 avant quattro had a grinding/growl noise to it and a vibration as well. The noise would come and go at different speeds and while turning. When jacked up I could wiggle the wheel with the bad bearing, but none of the others.

g huns
02-27-2015, 03:11 AM
My daughter's '97 has a bad drivers side rear wheel bearing. It growls like crazy, but has no detectable wiggle.

I am taking that as a sign that it can wait until it warms up a little.

richardodn
02-27-2015, 05:02 AM
I recently was getting a large amount of road noise from my 99 Quattro. Turned out the noise was actually coming through the completely disintegrated lower spindle bushings. I too thought they were wheel bearings until I had it all apart. This doesn't sound like the OP's case since it varied by wheel speed, but may be a contributor to the noise.

Davdraco1
02-27-2015, 06:19 AM
I had a rear berring go bad and there wAs absolutely no play in it at all. It hummed like nothing I've ever heard tho. Change it out be fore it drives you nuts.

BaconBait
03-02-2015, 03:35 PM
I've changed 4 wheels bearing. None of them had any play. Not saying that people haven't come across it before. The turn test is the best at figuring out which side it is.

adam044
03-02-2015, 04:40 PM
I think the listening test is the best test. How hard is it to figure out where a loud annoying buzzing sound is coming from.