PDA

View Full Version : Hookin up an I Pod

lude2euroa4
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
I wanna get the new i pod nano- since i dont have a cd player i wanna get the hardware to easily be able to listen to my i pod through the radio, i have seen something called the i trip which you tune your radio to a specified station and can listen to your i pod like that, but the quality is garbage. then i have seen people with a transistor or something like that which they also tune to a radio station and get a crisp "cd like" audio sound. which would be good for me.

my question to you guys is, if i were to get an i pod how can i listen to it through my car, what hardware would i need from either Apple or other companies and which would give me the best quality and the easiest access....

by the way i have a 96 a4, so all i got is the ancient cassette player.

thanks

SeanF
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
u have the delta tape deck?

i think there is an icelink for it... try that

jent
09-12-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.audiforums.com/fb.asp?m=41334
^^ post of mine with parts list
http://www.audiforums.com/fb.asp?m=44088
^^ post of mine with how to and photos

I tried to post it here in our DIY or how to or what ever but it never got accepted

RippleChip
09-13-2005, 05:27 AM
^^^Really?

Resubmit the write up, those normally get fixed up and put into the forum.

lude2euroa4
09-13-2005, 08:48 AM
yeah im not looking to do a custome job like you did, which by the way was an excellent job...

i am just looking for hardware that i can hook up to my stereo and be able to tune my ipod to it... i dont want any type of switches, if i do this i dont plan on installing a cd player, i only want to be able to lisen to the radio and my i pod through my a4's stereo system...

ive heard about the i pod ice, but i dont know if thats what im looking for.

is there anything out there, where i can just simply hook up the i pod to my stock headunit?

A4_Andre
09-13-2005, 08:59 AM
i listen to mine through the tape deck... cost me like 20 bux!

LateraLex
09-13-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm on the tape deck adapter right now but I want to get something better...

Is there ANY adapter that works with the stock headunit to display track name/ info???

AudiGuy666
09-13-2005, 09:42 AM
I am using a tape deck adapter on my B6 for now until I decide on somthing better.
20bucks , cant go wrong...

.:AJ:.
09-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by A4_Andre
i listen to mine through the tape deck... cost me like 20 bux!
thats what i'm doing too

as for other options, my friend bought a cable that he ran through his car back to the spot for the 6 cd changer in the trunk, similar to what jent is suggesting.
one of my other friends whent to magnolia hi-fi and them install a headphone jack directly into his dash. then he bought a headphone cable and plugged it directly into his ipod, and it works perfectly

good luck

lude2euroa4
09-13-2005, 01:09 PM
lol, this thread is great!!!!! lol

is ther any hardware to use that plugs in through the back of the headunit that will make it capable to listen to the ipod that way?

i dont want to go through the tape deck i want something cleaner, i also want the best quality possible but i dont wanna start rippin apart my car like jent did.

i was looking into the fm transmitters that i pod makes but it doesnt look like those have god quality...

what exactly is the ipod icelink?

ColumbiaDeath
09-13-2005, 01:14 PM
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57040

jent
09-13-2005, 06:00 PM
yea, my way is really not that hard. Since then I have moved the switch to the console so it is better positioned, and everything still works perfect. It will get you the best quality you can hope for, and it is not really that expensive. If I were to redo it or something I plan to do in the future is add an amp to clean up the signal.

p.s....if you don't have a cd-changer or don't care if you lose your cd-changer than you don't need a switch. The switch was just so I could have a cd-changer and media player hooked up at the same time. If that is the route your going to take there are similar but cheaper options around....the still plug in to the head unit in a similar fassion

1Reidiculus-A4
09-13-2005, 06:22 PM
DLO ipod dock. Expensive but it's what i use and i wouldn't use anything else. It's an FM tuner by the way.

jefferson88
09-14-2005, 04:55 AM
just get an icelink plus from Dension... took me ten minutes to install.