PDA

View Full Version : where does this vacuum line near brake booster go?

4ringsA4b5
02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
2001 a4 1.8t quattro tiptronic. Today i noticed a vacuum line coming up from the rubber grommet where the 2 heater core hoses come up from, near the brake booster. I know the heater core looks bad [>_<] i already have a replacement, just have to install it... anyways I gently pulled on the vacuum line and it came out of the rubber boot no problem. Not sure where either end goes? I looked on my other car and that rubber boot just has a empty hole. Any ideas?

http://i.imgur.com/YEVOEupl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/se5GIYil.jpg

new2s5
02-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Looks like a drain tube of some sort??

GrapeBandit
02-13-2015, 03:29 PM
drain tube off the battery. not a vacuum line

pbcrazy
02-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Tube for the battery I believe.

99jimse
02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
id leave it like the other car, an empty hole for water to ascape easier n not sit in that area. My 2 cents.

Jungleboon
02-13-2015, 04:04 PM
It's the battery vent tube. You should connect it to your battery...

99jimse
02-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Newer batteries are sealed & don't connect anymore.

Jungleboon
02-13-2015, 04:27 PM
If you buy a battery fit to the a4 it most likely will

Wrath And Tears
02-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Newer batteries are sealed & don't connect anymore.

Maybe certain batteries. All interstate batteries I've ever installed have vent holes, from batteries that would go in our cars to high end AMG batteries, and almost every car I've worked on has had a vent tube and drain set up.

Battery acid is extremely well... acidic. It can eat through a lot of substances, cause corrosion on the terminals and metal around the battery, and even with the set up of some cars drain on to the transmission and eat away the clutch (super rare occurance, possibly a one off).

walky_talky20
02-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Battery acid is extremely well... acidic. It can eat through a lot of substances, cause corrosion on the terminals and metal around the battery, and even with the set up of some cars drain on to the transmission and eat away the clutch (super rare occurance, possibly a one off).

Wow, that would be a hard to one to explain.

"Ma'am, your battery ate your clutch...Also, your brakes ate your radiator. When was the last time you fed them?"

99jimse
02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
If your battery requires 1 then yes I would make the connection. Your def right there no argument

woolveren
02-13-2015, 08:57 PM
with the set up of some cars drain on to the transmission and eat away the clutch (super rare occurance, possibly a one off).

Wow, that would be a hard to one to explain.

"Ma'am, your battery ate your clutch...Also, your brakes ate your radiator. When was the last time you fed them?"

Even though 'eating away clutch' was funny, I do think at times whether the acid can cause corrosion to the transmission housing as the drain tube is just opening to the top of it..

Wrath And Tears
02-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Hahaha I'll have to ask my coworker how that went down.

I guess I should also note that a "sealed" battery usually means you are not able to add water to it. They also call them "maintenance free" batteries. Also that batteries don't normally leak battery acid unless there is an issue with them.