PDA

View Full Version : Coding Project - Car diagnostics and logging utility

Murph_129
02-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Hello all, just want to share my new project with everyone and hopefully get some feedback and criticism (good or bad). //This project is purely for entertainment purpose but I will gladly share it with others when its in a state I feel comfortable sharing.

My ultimate goal for this project is a fun learning experience, it may not be practical or cost efficient, but I've already had a great experience and learned a lot in the short time I've been working on it.

I hope to be able to provide a cheaper alternative to other gauges on the market, while still keeping it aesthetically pleasing. The assembly will consist of two main components and up to three sensors. The first component will be the controller which contains the "brains" and also provides to sensors and the second component, which is the pod display. These are coupled together with a wiring harness to provide power, and communication between the controller and display. All sensors such as the MAP sensor and oil sender will plug into the controller. See below for current state of the project. Random pictures and videos of the progress can be seen throughout the thread.

Current state:

Reads boost from 30inHg to 30psi
Reads oil pressure from 0psi to 100psi
Has availablitity to add wideband sensor for AFR (Not currently using though)
Custom pod (standard Pod dimensions) with a full digital readout display for pressure reading and 7 LEDs in an arc giving a visual representation

Future plans:

Implement UART connection for USB modifications through the custom application
Fine tune computer application
Add full support for AFR readings

First prototype is finished! [cool]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4terBV4O4

First prototype installed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPJNfNfOpY

Moved to center vents instead of driver side. Like it way better [up]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJDJUouz-M

New init screen [cool]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLM7n6F4OA

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/04eRVJPG9cdfG48xtmoE3QCDvnFekx2o/0830152117.jpg

Murph_129
03-01-2015, 07:23 PM
3/1/15 - More updates! Surely someone thinks this is cool? Come on! I decided to just do some pictures since I understand most people get a little sketched out about downloading random .exes from the internet... Well its coming along, I am currently working on getting the graph to update in real time. Currently the program reads in values from a serial port and logs them to a database in which the graph displays the data in the said database. The updating in real time part is hanging me up, but i'm getting there. Open to suggestions/collaboration.

Thanks for reading guys.

//Pictures taken down because it was really filling up the page and loading slowly..

BaseDrifter
03-01-2015, 11:51 PM
This sounds pretty cool. Do you have a picture of the displays you're using? Keep up the good work.

Murph_129
03-02-2015, 05:05 AM
No, everything is still up in the air on the micro side.. I may not even use a screen? I may just buy a pod and tap into the sending unit lines and use that for my pressure readings. Reason I say this is because I really can't get to complex on the micro side if I want to keep it cost efficient and easy to stow. Otherwise I'll be trying to drive 2 maybe 3 I2C devices, plus an LCD, anndd doing serial communication all at the same time. I'm mainly focusing right now on just getting the configuration app done, and next I may work on designing an arduino shield or a custom PCB for the power supply, led drives, and micro circuitry.

pbcrazy
03-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Nice project! I would assume you are either engineering/compsci? There's quite a few of us students/professionals riding around here.
Would be really cool if you could add an electronic boost controller and be able to control it through the program, but then again that might be more work than it's worth.

Murph_129
03-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Nice project! I would assume you are either engineering/compsci? There's quite a few of us students/professionals riding around here.
Would be really cool if you could add an electronic boost controller and be able to control it through the program, but then again that might be more work than it's worth.

I've really struggled with this decision haha. It's what initially got me revved up and going about creating this utility. But the more I looked into price and potential "issues" because I typed a line of code wrong or put a greater than where it should of been less than. It's sort of steered me clear from a EBC for now lol. I would love to add it eventually though.. Just not yet.

Yup! I'm an ECET major with a CIT minor. Perfect for this project, covers both aspects for the electrical, electro-mechanical, and software for this!

pbcrazy
03-03-2015, 07:11 PM
I've really struggled with this decision haha. It's what initially got me revved up and going about creating this utility. But the more I looked into price and potential "issues" because I typed a line of code wrong or put a greater than where it should of been less than. It's sort of steered me clear from a EBC for now lol. I would love to add it eventually though.. Just not yet.

Yup! I'm an ECET major with a CIT minor. Perfect for this project, covers both aspects for the electrical, electro-mechanical, and software for this!

Would be pretty crazy, but I can totally understand avoiding it. I can't help much with the coding aspect (I'm Mechanical, don't do much programming besides MATLAB) but if you ever need help with an enclosure or cage for the dash I would love to help, though that would probably be the easy part lol.

Murph_129
03-03-2015, 07:15 PM
Would be pretty crazy, but I can totally understand avoiding it. I can't help much with the coding aspect (I'm Mechanical, don't do much programming besides MATLAB) but if you ever need help with an enclosure or cage for the dash I would love to help, though that would probably be the easy part lol.

No I'm all about collaboration and help! That's the whole reason I'm posting it here, there's lots of great minds and opinions on here and I want to make this to share. I'm really torn on in car display right now. I'm going back and forth between just using pods for boost, oil pressure, and so on. OR using an oLED or 2 line LCD display to show readouts... Id prefer pods just because they look cleaner.

Current idea though for pods, is to remove my center vent gauges. Use a piece of aluminum and put Boost, oil pressure, and then where the third vent would be Ill have a power LED, possibly power or some momentary PB for inputs, and the USB jack... but idk. I want to add it somewhere without taking away too much.. like my heat or A/C.. but also don't want it in the way on my dash.

pbcrazy
03-03-2015, 07:22 PM
No I'm all about collaboration and help! That's the whole reason I'm posting it here, there's lots of great minds and opinions on here and I want to make this to share. I'm really torn on in car display right now. I'm going back and forth between just using pods for boost, oil pressure, and so on. OR using an oLED or 2 line LCD display to show readouts... Id prefer pods just because they look cleaner.

Current idea though for pods, is to remove my center vent gauges. Use a piece of aluminum and put Boost, oil pressure, and then where the third vent would be Ill have a power LED, possibly power or some momentary PB for inputs, and the USB jack... but idk. I want to add it somewhere without taking away too much.. like my heat or A/C.. but also don't want it in the way on my dash.

I personally wouldn't sacrifice all 3 of my center vents for a daily driven car, you will still get air from the other vents but it won't give you the normal air flow/Look too race-car. You could take out your OEM double din radio and replace it with a single din cage/radio. Would free up just enough space for gauges, but it would likely be too low to be practical. Or if you wanted to go the OLED route you could use the left-most vent like these:
http://gmpperformance.com/CFJFiles/GMP/Vehicle-Images/3516-21264.jpg
Plently of room under that area to mount an arduino.

Avant Nate
03-04-2015, 06:05 AM
Your system, from a layman, seems similar in idea to PLX. http://www.plxdevices.com/ I have their Afr gauge but it died on me recently.

Murph_129
03-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Your system, from a layman, seems similar in idea to PLX. http://www.plxdevices.com/ I have their Afr gauge but it died on me recently.

At a quick glance yea, the idea is similar as far as the controllers. But do they have an application with a user friendly interface? Keep an eye on here and I'll probably sample out the software and hardware while im still developing it to get feedback.. If your interested that is.. or anyone else that reads this for that matter..

ricekikr
03-04-2015, 08:28 AM
How's the refresh rate for the ecu logs? Did the arduino slow down with the serial and other code?

Mine got a bit slower when i added all the code up (analog boost, rpm, seq shift light, afr, peaks and warnings - using analogRead). And that wasn't even with a finished the code, the analog gauge needs some work. Also didn't use any delays, just millis.

Plan on mounting mine above the steering column (cleaner but will need to remove current gauges and blocks some parts of instrument cluster that i dont really use) or fiberglass it near the vent by the a-pillar (for quick glance while still seeing the road)

Murph_129
03-04-2015, 09:33 AM
How's the refresh rate for the ecu logs? Did the arduino slow down with the serial and other code?

Mine got a bit slower when i added all the code up (analog boost, rpm, seq shift light, afr, peaks and warnings - using analogRead). And that wasn't even with a finished the code, the analog gauge needs some work. Also didn't use any delays, just millis.

Plan on mounting mine above the steering column (cleaner but will need to remove current gauges and blocks some parts of instrument cluster that i dont really use) or fiberglass it near the vent by the a-pillar (for quick glance while still seeing the road)

I haven't tested it with a gauge yet. My previous experiments just read values from a 10k pot and constantly updated it. At the start of each cycle it would check the serial buffer for data. It all operates on a request basis. The C# app requests the value.. so I send some bytes to the Arduino, the arduino gets it.. and then sends the info back.

Results wise. I was able to run with about 200ms in between requests. Any thing more and I started colliding messages and lost pretty much all my data. So I am sort of concerned with that. As far as adding in displays and all sorts of other stuff. I'm not to worried. I have an external clock I will put in if the 16MHz doesnt cut it.. Which should clear up my issues with message colliding as well... I hope..

// I'm still on the fence about pressure readings though. It's either tap into the existing sending units for a pod and just do it with analog signals. OR. I buy a pressure sensor that does I2C and use that. but then I HAVE to use an external oLED or LCD display to show the readout..

Murph_129
03-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Update time!
So I ditched the database since I realized if the person using the program didn't have Microsoft Access, they couldnt use the logging feature. So I moved to a different approach and will be storing log data temporarily in memory only and have the option to export a run to a .txt file or an excel sheet.

Future plans: Next up is working on adding in a storage for maintenance records. I want to structure this to be open to whatever Name or description the user chooses, but then require a mileage and date input to reference the work. I also need ideas for the "home page". The opening page is currently just blank and I need something to put there. By the time I finish that I should be back home from my work rotation so I can start work on the Arduino side. As well as do some long awaited modifications to my car. Mainly aesthetics like the lower valence, window tint, rims, and some interior touch ups. Also look into some new plugs to hopefully fix my my issue with missing at WOT.

//I NEED FEEDBACK! PM me or comment on here if you would be interested to get a copy of the program to mess around with the UI and let me know what you like and dislike.

A4Moby
03-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Good work! In my previous project car I had an onboard PC with an SSD, fanless/heat pump cooling, double din in dash touchscreen, full nav, phone, music (auto sync to home pc), etc. It was tied into my Innovate wideband o2, my AFM to MAF conversion for tuning my stroker motor, J&S Safeguard, and various other environmental sensors via a Phidgets USB board. Very rewarding and it put my 2012 Lexus system to shame. For my A4 I really want to directly read the diagnostic port. I have found some data on the serial protocol and building a harness but have bogged down due to time constraints. Good luck with your project, I will be watching.

Murph_129
03-06-2015, 08:07 PM
This sounds pretty cool. Do you have a picture of the displays you're using? Keep up the good work.

So I think I found my display(s).
http://www.4dsystems.com.au/product/uLCD_220RD/

All the files for images and such are stored onto an SD card on the panel. The panel also has its own processor and memory to store resources and program. I'll do a really simply analog interface between these displays and the controller, just need to display which one. They have some four and three inch rectangle panels as well.

Update: I suddenly became very discouraged today about this whole project. Its alot of work doing all of this, and all just to display some measly boost pressure.. I'm seriously considering going all out and just adding AFR and oil pressure right now while I'm at it and using the large four inch panel. It has a capacitive touch screen and everything..

RallyeBourne
03-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Keep pushing! I've been wanting to do this for some time now. Even have the arduino sitting on my desk. But I know nothing about coding. My buddy is pretty versed in it, but we rarely have time as he goes to school and works full time, and I work two jobs. I want what A4Moby says he had (pics or it didn't happen!)

Murph_129
03-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Keep pushing! I've been wanting to do this for some time now. Even have the arduino sitting on my desk. But I know nothing about coding. My buddy is pretty versed in it, but we rarely have time as he goes to school and works full time, and I work two jobs. I want what A4Moby says he had (pics or it didn't happen!)

Yea I'm tryin'.. No offense to anyone whos from Canada, but I frickin hate it here! I've been here for about 10 days for work and I have 8 to go before I leave and go home for a bit, and it's stressing me out, so that doesn't help. Once I get home I'll grab my "Arduino".. I guess I didn't update this. Im ditching using the Arduino itself but just using the same processor that the Arduino uses, and making my own board. Anyways, I think once I can get some stuff done with the controller I'll feel alot better about this. I'm just overwhelmed with that entire side of the project being since I have all these things I need/want to do.. and I haven't even begun to work on it yet.

pbcrazy
03-07-2015, 06:25 PM
+1 on the AFR/Oil pressure. While cool, it would be way over engineering a boost gauge. Either way, go for it!

Murph_129
03-07-2015, 06:58 PM
+1 on the AFR/Oil pressure. While cool, it would be way over engineering a boost gauge. Either way, go for it!

Yea I'm comin back down from being discouraged about it all haha. I wanted to make something cost effective and something I could share with others that would be reasonably easy to install and practically plug and play. And it still can be, its just this first run through will just be a premium package I guess.. This first trial will just be for me I guess. Mainly just because sending units for oil, boost, and tapping into a wideband or stock O2 AND a 4 inch LCD touch screen is NOT going to be cheap at all... I decided to stop looking so far ahead though. Get the boost working, then oil, and then the AFR.

I WILL finish this and it WILL be awesome! [a4]

... just may be a while.

redline380
03-07-2015, 08:18 PM
I like the idea and the enthusiasm, but I don't get what it would do for me that Maestro can't. And I already paid $800 for that, or however is was.

And please, take this as constructive criticism, nothing else.

Murph_129
03-07-2015, 08:22 PM
I like the idea and the enthusiasm, but I don't get what it would do for me that Maestro can't. And I already paid $800 for that, or however is was.

And please, take this as constructive criticism, nothing else.

Geesh. I mean my project will be expensive but not THAT expensive. Haha, like I said, it may not be practical, but just for the experience and fun. And then I can say look at what I made!

//Although Maestro can do a LOT more than this will.. This will be purely informative.. not used to directly tune anything.

redline380
03-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Geesh. I mean my project will be expensive but not THAT expensive. Haha, like I said, it may not be practical, but just for the experience and fun. And then I can say look at what I made!

//Although Maestro can do a LOT more than this will.. This will be purely informative.. not used to directly tune anything.

Perhaps I got the wrong impression. I thought you were looking to market this? Or this is purely for your entertainment?

Murph_129
03-07-2015, 08:27 PM
Perhaps I got the wrong impression. I thought you were looking to market this? Or this is purely for your entertainment?

Oh no no no no. Purely entertainment, although I would LOVE to share this with others if they like it.. Only cost being the hardware.. Not looking to make money. Just have something to enjoy and something to do for my car.

Murph_129
03-08-2015, 08:48 AM
So I'm trying to get ahold of a boost gauge sender.. Which for some reason is proving to be pretty difficult to fine one.. Other than buying a whole boost gauge just for the sending unit... Anyone have one lying around you would be willing to sell to me?

http://i.imgur.com/Vgpg49G.png

Avant Nate
03-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Here's the boost sensor from post #9
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_B5_A4_18T_P3VIDI_Vent_Integrated_Digital_Inte rface_Diagnostic_Reading_Direct_Fit_1996_1997_1998 _1999_2000_2001/ES2628257/

Murph_129
03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/Audi_B5_A4_18T_P3VIDI_Vent_Integrated_Digital_Inte rface_Diagnostic_Reading_Direct_Fit_1996_1997_1998 _1999_2000_2001/ES2628257/

Great thanks! Now if I can just find the datasheet for it to see what voltage it operates at

Murph_129
03-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Looks like its 0-5v which is perfect. Thanks!

http://www.p3cars.com/install#Analog_Inputs

ricekikr
03-08-2015, 10:45 AM
There are several 4bar 0-5v sensors in ebay.

Theres also just the sensor itself. 4bar motorola/freescale. Perfect for mounting it on the arduino itself. Roughly the size of a fingernail. Its also the sensor inside most map sensors. Much cheaper than the assembled unit.

Mad Cow
03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
There are several 4bar 0-5v sensors in ebay.

Theres also just the sensor itself. 4bar motorola/freescale. Perfect for mounting it on the arduino itself. Roughly the size of a fingernail. Its also the sensor inside most map sensors. Much cheaper than the assembled unit.

I'm using a freescale sensor too, it's pretty great, mounted to a veroboard attached to my arduino. It even reads a small amount of vacuum, probably inaccurate as hell but it's useful for regulating my right foot. You can even get a free sample, but the only sample model is 0-700 PSI which is very far from ideal. I'm using one of those at the moment but I'm planning a switch to something more applicable eventually. The P3 sensor appears to also be a freescale with a connector soldered to it, honestly not a bad price for the convenience (if you need it) since the sensor itself costs close to $20.

For oil pressure you can buy a 0-5v transducer off ebay/aliexpress now, much more compact than the typical resistance senders and you don't need any extra circuitry to connect it to an arduino, they only cost about $20 too.

ricekikr
03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
$6 shipped on ebay.

If you do decide on a freescale get the mpxh6400. Reads boost and vacuum pretty well. Roughly 20inhg to 45psig.

For oil pressure you can buy a 0-5v transducer off ebay/aliexpress now, much more compact than the typical resistance senders and you don't need any extra circuitry to connect it to an arduino, they only cost about $20 too.

Have you tried them? Been eyeing them for oil and fuel pressure.

Mad Cow
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I looked into the mpxh6400 but I didn't buy it because it only came in SMD packages, if they came in through-hole they would be perfect. My plan is to use a barometric pressure sensor and subtract that value from the pressure reading. I haven't tried the pressure transducers, but apparently they're the same ones that come with AEM gauges so they should be good.

Murph_129
03-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I know there's plenty of surface/board mounted sensors out there. But I don't want to run a vacuum line the full distance to my enclosure, I'd prefer to have the sensor in the engine bay and then just run wires. For a little extra to pay for it already mounted on a clean board and wrapped is fine by me [up]

Murph_129
03-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Update - 3/10/15:
Well, with the weekend approaching, I'll finally get to leave Canada and head home where I can start the hardware side of it all! Last thing to order being the screen, which I may just bit the bullet and do it now as well, but otherwise, I've got all my electronics ordered.. I think! Getting super excited to finally see some results from all this work! [wrench]

http://i.imgur.com/Lx30zcA.png

http://i.imgur.com/0xQcO9W.png

http://i.imgur.com/8jtE7t1.png

Avant Nate
03-10-2015, 08:45 PM
The blue silicone hose is too big! I think stock vacuum hose is 3.5mm.

Mad Cow
03-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Also I seriously doubt you need a filter for the boost gauge, all that will do is introduce another potential leak point.

Murph_129
03-11-2015, 03:29 AM
Also I seriously doubt you need a filter for the boost gauge, all that will do is introduce another potential leak point.

The blue silicone hose is too big! I think stock vacuum hose is 3.5mm.

I realized that after I took the picture! I ended up not buying the hose haha. Necessary or not, I'm not damaging the new sensor, it will be in the cabin and won't be hard to check for leaks in the case I get one. The $10 boost gauge is because I don't currenlty have one and I dont think I'm reaching full boost, as well as my CEL NEVER comes on.. event though there are active codes. Oil pressure sender I'm installing this weekend and will run the wire in the cabin, but for now its just going to sit in there.

Display wise, I triple guessed myself last night and didnt buy one [headbang] One reason being I have a debit card, not a credit card, and the frickin website wouldnt take my card... I can get around that, but after the initial excitement wore off of buying all these parts.. I still dont know what display to use! :/

//Simple oLED for a numerical display and then LEDs around the outside rim for a gauge style look? The LEDs cold be used for the AFR then as well........... I DONT FRICKIN KNOW.

ricekikr
03-11-2015, 05:53 AM
I don't use a filter either but imho is needed. There have been some who got issues with water getting in the sensor. I just made the hose lower than the sensor.

I do use a diy restrictor though. Helps smoothens boost. Tiny clear plastic boost hose thats epoxied then holed using a needle.

Def get an lcd. Look for one that doesn't need a shield. Got mine for ~$8 on ebay

Still playing with fonts and colors to make it look more oem-ish and case it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/11/ab23f209f06138c82b061091cab09d96.jpg

Mad Cow
03-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Ooh I like that LCD, how's it look in sunlight?

pbcrazy
03-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Wow, that looks really really nice. Nice touch with the overboost/lean warnings [up]

ricekikr
03-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Ooh I like that LCD, how's it look in sunlight?

Haven't tried the lcd in sun yet, but should work just fine since the case i'm planning will shield it from direct sunlight. It also looks a lot better in person than in pics. Colors off in pictures

Wow, that looks really really nice. Nice touch with the overboost/lean warnings [up]

Thanks. Also has external sequential shift lights (very helpful, specially in first gear) .. Planning on adding a bit more like boost cut, oil press, fuel press.

Maybe even closed loop boost control and meth control. Just don't trust it to do that right now.

Murph_129
03-11-2015, 10:28 AM
I don't use a filter either but imho is needed. There have been some who got issues with water getting in the sensor. I just made the hose lower than the sensor.

I do use a diy restrictor though. Helps smoothens boost. Tiny clear plastic boost hose thats epoxied then holed using a needle.

Def get an lcd. Look for one that doesn't need a shield. Got mine for ~$8 on ebay

Still playing with fonts and colors to make it look more oem-ish and case it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/11/ab23f209f06138c82b061091cab09d96.jpg

Yea I've seen plenty of TFT displays, but the libraries for them is what has me concerned.. I havent seen anything for gauges like you have.. Only loading in individual images.

Mad Cow
03-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Speaking of TFTs, I've been thinking about replacing the cluster LCD with a TFT like that, you can buy them in the exact size of the LCD +- a couple MM. It's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but it seems like a logical progression.

Sorry for going off topic, it seems to happen every time there's a thread like this.

ricekikr
03-11-2015, 11:05 AM
The libraries are out there. Just make sure to buy a tft thats well documented or atleast the vendor has demo libraries for them. This particular tft wasn't, but came with the libraries.

The gauge face is just an image drawn at startup (photoshopped image to match my other gauges, scale still needs adjustment). Using readily available SdFat and SdRaw library. The needle is whats re-drawn to display whatever value, using UTFT_Geometry library + some additional code to make it rotate in an arc. Drawing an image is slow. It wouldn't be able to keep up with anything that changes value fast.

Funny thing is redrawing the needle in an arc (which is a lot more code) is much much much faster than drawing numbers/letters. Had to even add some code to slow it down to stop it from flickering.

ricekikr
03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Speaking of TFTs, I've been thinking about replacing the cluster LCD with a TFT like that, you can buy them in the exact size of the LCD +- a couple MM. It's a bit of a pipe dream at the moment, but it seems like a logical progression.

Sorry for going off topic, it seems to happen every time there's a thread like this.

I was actually thinking of overlaying it at first, but couldn't do without the stock warnings. Like lightbulb out. My car would keep buzzing and i wouldn't know why lol.

Also the other tfts seem to come with lower resolutions (pixelated?)

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Update:

Well I think I decided what I'm going to do for a display.. for now. Like I have said previously, this project is purely for fun and ultimately a learning experience. I decided to make my own pod.

I'm using a small oLED display for a purely digital readout with 7 LEDs in an arc above the display which will give a more appealing visual representation of the value on the readout. The pictures below are by far just a prototype, I quickly did the CAD drawing just to get an idea of how it would look and how proportional the parts are to each other. The outer diameter is 2inches with 5mm LEDs. The oLED is a small 128x64 display.

Yes I know, the LEDs are not evenly spaced.. at all lol.

http://i.imgur.com/q2nOOOY.png

I have access to 3D printing and I am pretty familiar with making CAD drawings, so I plan to print the enclosure in black material in probably two pieces that will twist and lock together. The PCB inside will be custom and have a 11 wire pigtail that will be ran to the pod. Which I know is a BUNCH, but I am not doing any ICs on the board except for the display, so wires have to be ran from the controller elsewhere [:(]... but I'm not to worried about it. I can still wrap it and make it look neat. Besides, it will be running in the dash where you cant see it.

//The same gauge will be used for every readout, at the moment it will be boost and oil pressure, and in the future AFR. You can change between what is being displayed with a pushbutton.

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Let me know if you need any help, I am pretty proficient in Solidworks/Inventor and have a 3D printer sitting on my desk lol

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 05:28 PM
Let me know if you need any help, I am pretty proficient in Solidworks/Inventor and have a 3D printer sitting on my desk lol

I will definitely keep that in mind [up] thanks for the repeated offers to help me out with this, appreciate it. I plan to have the pod printed as well as the enclosure for the controller.

Question for yea, when it comes to 3D printing, how smooth can you get it to print.. Er, resolution rather? I know its proportional to print time, somewhat.. so higher resolution, more time.. right? Anyways! My last print I did the project was really rough since the material was so hard, and I couldn't get it down to a finish I was really happy with.

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Yep, the smaller the layer height the high the print time. Something that size though won't take more than ~6 hours max anyway though. As far as the actual resolution you can print at, that's completely what type and model of printer you have, the most common "household" (like makerbot) are FFF types and can typically go down to 100 microns. PLA produces better results than ABS but cracks easier and degrades over time, different colors also produce different results (nature best, white worst). If you print in ABS you can "Finish" the print by performing a acetone vapor bath, which melts the layers together to give the print a smoother, glossy appearance.

Sorry for probably way over answering your question lol

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Yep, the smaller the layer height the high the print time. Something that size though won't take more than ~6 hours max anyway though. As far as the actual resolution you can print at, that's completely what type and model of printer you have, the most common "household" (like makerbot) are FFF types and can typically go down to 100 microns. PLA produces better results than ABS but cracks easier and degrades over time, different colors also produce different results (nature best, white worst). If you print in ABS you can "Finish" the print by performing a acetone vapor bath, which melts the layers together to give the print a smoother, glossy appearance.

Sorry for probably way over answering your question lol

No not at all, I can speak in technical terms all day, and love reading and hearing all the details about stuff like that [:D].. You'll struggle to get me to shut-up about electronics when I start talking haha. So yea, that's my only concern. I want the pod to be as smooth and as good looking as possible, the enclosure for the controller though I'm not to worried about.

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 05:58 PM
No not at all, I can speak in technical terms all day, and love reading and hearing all the details about stuff like that [:D].. You'll struggle to get me to shut-up about electronics when I start talking haha. So yea, that's my only concern. I want the pod to be as smooth and as good looking as possible, the enclosure for the controller though I'm not to worried about.

Is the pod going to put in a vent or Column-pod thing? If so, you can just print it in ABS with the facedown on the build platform (assuming it's a heated glass plate) and that will give you a smooth glossy look without messing with acetone (quite a pain)

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Well see, that's where I run into some issues, if you look at my picture, I want to have a little overhand over the leds and display face. So printing one solid piece may not work, no matter which end I start from. But to answer your question, I had planned on making this pod.. and then hacking up my vent and just putting it in place lmao. I saw someone did that on here in there build, cant remember who, it was like they took a hole saw and just cut the one of there vents, and slid the pod into it, looked really good actually.

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Didn't see the overhang, but definitely still possible to print in one piece with use of supports. Best bet would probably be ABS w/vapor bath (I'll try to dig up a picture of one of my prints I performed it on).

Quite a few people run gauges in vents, I personally have 2

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help. The enclosure printing may not be for a bit. I have been in Canada for three weeks for work.. I'm going home next week and ill grab all my hardware, then I'm coming back to Canada for another three. So the hardware may be slow as well, but we'll see. I maaaaaaaayyy be passing on some dimensions to you to have some CAD drawings done if your interested or willing?

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 06:48 PM
Anytime! And by all means send me some dimensions, I won't be back to my school until Monday but I'm more than willing to help out wherever you need (good practice if nothing else)

Mad Cow
03-12-2015, 07:13 PM
I was actually thinking of overlaying it at first, but couldn't do without the stock warnings. Like lightbulb out. My car would keep buzzing and i wouldn't know why lol.

Also the other tfts seem to come with lower resolutions (pixelated?)

All you would need for that is a multiplexer board since each warning has its own wire. I don't care much about resolution, if I could get something like the B6/B7 colour LCD I'd be happy.

On the topic of 3d printing: I've began designing my boost gauge faceplate in sketchup, it's been going ok but the software seems a bit crappy. I've done some simple 3d modelling in the past with 3dsmax so I was expecting something similar, but sketchup seems ridiculously basic. Would it be worth it to continue using sketchup, or is there something better that's still fairly simple and newb-friendly?

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Most people start with AutoCAD, but I personally hate it and avoid whenever possible.

I've heard of a lot of new users using tinkercad, apparently pretty easy to use (I've never personally messed with it). I would recommend AutoDesk Inventor, it's a good starting CAD but has plenty of options should you continue using it. Very simple compared to something like SolidWorks IMO. Any program has the option as exporting as a .stl which is used for printing so that shouldn't be an issue with any.

Mad Cow
03-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I'll check out Inventor. I have no use for a web app so tinkercad is pointless.

pbcrazy
03-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks, I'll check out Inventor. I have no use for a web app so tinkercad is pointless.

Ya tinkercad is mainly for children (I think). Inventor is free if you have a .edu or if you know where to go on the Internet....

Murph_129
03-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Ya tinkercad is mainly for children (I think). Inventor is free if you have a .edu or if you know where to go on the Internet....

That's what I've got. [up] Basics are pretty simple to catch onto, but if you want you can do some really complex stuff.

Mad Cow
03-12-2015, 08:27 PM

I tried signing up as a student and it didn't even ask for a .edu email address, but then it gave me some error and said to try again later. The thing is Canadian universities and colleges don't use .edu email addresses, so I should be ok on that front unless autodesk decided to completely ignore Canadian students (I'm used to that by now).

If that fails I'll just sail the seven seas for a bit.

Davdraco1
03-12-2015, 08:34 PM
I Took 2 years of auto CADD in high school and also did a bunch of 3d inventor in school as well. Inventor is so much better for 3d. I even like it better for 2 d but it has its quirks. What did you need drawn up? I have access to both programs.

Murph_129
03-13-2015, 03:27 AM
I tried signing up as a student and it didn't even ask for a .edu email address, but then it gave me some error and said to try again later. The thing is Canadian universities and colleges don't use .edu email addresses, so I should be ok on that front unless autodesk decided to completely ignore Canadian students (I'm used to that by now).

If that fails I'll just sail the seven seas for a bit.

There's a specific section on the AutoDesks website for student copies. When you go to download them, it will ask you to type in a .edu email and that's really the only verification before they give you a key.. If I didn't already use mine I would just give you my key. Maybe someone else on here could help yea out?

Mad Cow
03-13-2015, 07:10 AM
There's a specific section on the AutoDesks website for student copies. When you go to download them, it will ask you to type in a .edu email and that's really the only verification before they give you a key.. If I didn't already use mine I would just give you my key. Maybe someone else on here could help yea out?

Oh ok, I was going through the section where you sign up for a student account. Doesn't matter, I'll just torrent it.

Murph_129
03-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Update: Me and my baby are finally home from the little brothers!.. (Canada).. Takin' some time to relax a bit, see some friends, and prepare for the mayhem of tomorrow night (St. Patricks Day a.k.a my 21st birthday!) [up]

I'll do some programming today and messing with the hardware, take a break and then pick it back up on Wednesday afternoon! Good to be home! [:D]

http://i.imgur.com/xdUmzYH.jpg

Murph_129
03-17-2015, 06:20 PM
Update: Made some progress today! Just the start, but it just demonstrates the initial startup routine for the LEDs. I need to get the oLED display ordered and added in. That will cover a majority of the display. The rest of the work is in the controller itself and getting it to communicate with my desktop app!

https://youtu.be/ydoX0rfAp3I

Murph_129
03-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Update: Well the handshaking is complete as well as changing display modes for the LED and display between boost, AFR, and a flash mode. The command can be send using the application or using a physical push-button to cycle through them. I have ran into one issue though. All commands sent from the application require a confirmation message back from the controller to ensure no data is lossed in transmission. Well this is where i'm screwed at the moment. Here's the process.

1.) Send command to controller
2.) Wait X amount of time and then check the buffer to see if a confirmation message was received.
3.) If no message display error message

Well. Currently my X amount of time can be at minimum, 500ms. If I go any less, it doesn't give the controller enough time to write the confirmation message back. The mode may really change and the command was executed, it's just the confirmation doesn't make it back to the application. In some cases this is fine because the change is a visual one and you can see it happen. Others however, if you are modifying something in the background, there's nothing to tell you that it was successful or not.

Anyways, that's where I'm at. For now I guess logging will get pushed back and I'll continue to work on the display, display modes, and configuration of the display from the application. [up]

Murph_129
03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Update: Logging works! [evilsmile] and it's plenty fast. I can accurately graphy my oil pressure (and boost once I wire the sensor) in 100ms intervals. I'm really to the point to get the circuit design done and have it printed to a board and do some test fits and installs.. And then have pbcrazy make an enclosure for it...

WHEW! Im pumped! [up]

RallyeBourne
03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
You're my hero.

Murph_129
03-26-2015, 04:44 PM
You're my hero.

Well I'm honored.. but eh.. why? haha

pbcrazy
03-26-2015, 04:49 PM
You're killing it man, keep it up!

And then have pbcrazy make an enclosure for it...
https://shrutithakkar.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/engg.jpg

Murph_129
03-26-2015, 07:41 PM
You're killing it man, keep it up!

https://shrutithakkar.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/engg.jpg

lmao nice..

PM'ed with the dimensioned schematics

Les' do dis! [evilsmile]

Murph_129
03-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Update: Pod schematic is finished and I just ordered the oLED displays. This coming weekend I'm going to build the whole circuit up and do some test runs with the sensors in my car, once I confirm that it all works. Ill have my boards printed and finally get a rough enclosure made up by pbcrazy for them and enjoy! For this first version, there will be no interface between an computer application unfortunately. I really want this whole design to be custom made and not rely on "breakout boards" bought from another company, most the time they are bulky and have more components or features than what I really need, which just results in wasted space. So here's where I'm at and whats planned.

Version 1.0
Hardware will include a "controller" box to be mounted under the dash or somewhere convenient, custom Pod/display, and a sensor(s) of your choosing (AFR or Boost atm, but will eventually include AFR and others). The application is complete, I'm just lacking the USB to UART interface at the moment.

Future Version (2.0)
All of the above +
Desktop application interface and controller configuration such as max and min readouts, alarm thresholds, and more appealing display features
RGB Pod backlight allowing user to change the backcolor of the Pod to whatever color they want in the spectrum
More robust application and optimization (including a face lift as its sort of bland at the moment)

Super excited to finish this and get the first version installed. Extremely happy with myself for deciding to follow through on one of the many ideas floating around in my head [>_<] [up]

Murph_129
04-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Update: It's been a while..

Well I'm nearing having the first prototype finished! [evilsmile]

Here's a preview of the display. I just got them today so I'm just messing around with them tonight. Tomorrow after work Ill set them up with my controller program and make a video of it working in unison with the LEDs and read the barometric pressure of my hotel room!

http://i.imgur.com/U63xxh9.jpg

Murph_129
06-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Update:

Alrighty, well I now have all of boards back from the fabricator. So awesome to see a clean and professional looking product that I can say I designed! Finalizing some things with pbcrazy on the enclosure and hope to have a working unit in my car within the next month!

The pod has to be cut around the circumference of the circle you can see. The fabricator wouldn't print and cut on a circular board.

http://i.imgur.com/EaDAfzA.jpg

Sorry this picture is junk. But it's all I have and I left my boards at work.

http://i.imgur.com/JklyzxZ.jpg

Murph_129
06-10-2015, 10:06 AM
First prototype complete. Just waiting on the enclosures now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4terBV4O4

TheTanker
06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
That's awesome man, keep up the good work, I'd definitely be interested in one when they are available

pbcrazy
06-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Just wanted to jump in real quick. If anyone has an extra vent (leftmost center is likely the best) for some reason I would love to get it from you. I plan to make a printed vent pod much like APR's but not $70+ for regular gauges and a vent with the pod for this gauge built in. Would look much cleaner than hacking away to fit one. You would get a free one if you help me out [up] (both of mine are already cut)

Johns
06-11-2015, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to jump in real quick. If anyone has an extra vent (leftmost center is likely the best) for some reason I would love to get it from you. I plan to make a printed vent pod much like APR's but not $100+ for regular gauges and a vent with the pod for this gauge built in. Would look much cleaner than hacking away to fit one. You would get a free one if you help me out [up] (both of mine are already cut)
I have an ECS vent pod. It's for a 45mm gauge though

Murph_129
06-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Ignore this post.. [emoji52]

pbcrazy
06-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Pod and enclosure have been printed and vapor-bathed and should be part of this project very soon [up]. Couple things need to be fixed on my end before actual orders though (I.e. The led cut outs are out of round due to their small size). Quick picture of the first pod type:
Fresh out of the printer:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsm6zbfyhs.jpg

After light acetone finishing:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstnydtzfp.jpg

(The face of the pod is glossy, while the rest is just the bare ABS, at least for this model anyway)

Murph_129
06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
Looks frickin' awesome!! [drool]

So excited to get this first go around done!

themightyquinn
07-22-2015, 08:29 AM
This is a really cool project...I wish I had the electrical and coding skills to do something like this. Any updates? Definitely interested if this makes it to a full product.

pbcrazy
07-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Any updates? Definitely interested if this makes it to a full product.
The pod and enclosure prototypes were lost/stolen in the mail last month which definitely delayed the final product, I am in the process of remaking them (today actually) after some delays because of my printer malfunctioning. I believe Murph has already finished the hardware and the software to an extent. On the plus side I believe I fixed the circle out-of-round issue in my software atleast:
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/pbcrazy96/Capture_zpsrw4xvmgb.jpg
so *hopefully* this version will look nicer anyway

Murph_129
07-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Yup hardware and software are done and ready to go. Have been for quite some time. But here lately I've gotten extremely busy with work. Around August will be when we get first unit finished, and hopefully very shortly after we knock out a second revision to fix issues. Maybe around December after we work out flaws and bugs we'd look to share it.

I'm very excited to get this going and have lots of future plans to share with everyone once this first revision is finished.

Murph_129
08-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Getting the enclosures mailed from pbcrazy hopefully here shortly. As soon as I get it I will be installing and finishing some software fixes for the oil sender.

Round 2! The first prints were lost in the mail so new ones had to be printed. Came out great thanks to pbcrazy.

http://i.imgur.com/BMvXWZT.jpg

rodgertherabit
08-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Thats a good looking print! Just got mine up and running not long ago! We also have a large scale one Im dabbling with, bigger footprint, but larger extruder for more speeeeeed.

pbcrazy
08-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Thats a good looking print! Just got mine up and running not long ago! We also have a large scale one Im dabbling with, bigger footprint, but larger extruder for more speeeeeed.

Thank you [cool], it's far from perfect since I'm still messing with my settings after upgrading hot ends, but I was pretty happy with all 482 layers of it lol.

Murph_129
08-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Soon.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/ikCcBuGHLwYEoP13jVBofpvnCMfB2pQD/0827152315.jpg

Got the enclosures today and started assembling another pod to use for the final product.. Started out with a blank board I designed and sent out to a fabricator to be made.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/1QFQiP2TNJWVfViZG7dsWWCU8N7bTWzv/0827151551a.jpg

After some trimming and sanding of the board, I began soldering. I had to sit back and admire my solder job for a bit, I was pretty impressed with myself at how clean and small they were..

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/9sxYWPXF9lQLsoHoyjdXnHZGa15h31fB/0827151742c.jpg

All the components soldered on.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/y4YMUV9KyAmVm8Yo8tozQlP3QV7g0J8H/0827151742b.jpg

Fits pretty well inside, like I said before though. Needed lots of trimming on the board, even past the point I initially planned. My guess is due to when the enclosure was printed, it's not exact due to material expansion and so on. No problem though.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/yKdhNtMSCkR3cW1Nbi9yU8qep1b5ErwK/0827151742a.jpg

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/GkwPCZgtBCL7gSomEgAimwiDEbu019VD/0827151742.jpg

All powered up.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/0JHpXgjYLYjiuMnSYEmfPNnBX8czIDYO/0827152315a.jpg

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/yGADYFIT3cfEtBsQtNEGSTVuMf0vrZ2p/0827152314.jpg

I plan to finish the rest of the install on Saturday. I need to finish up some wiring, make some code changes, and then do some wiring in my car to install it. Also have to trim a center vent I picked up at the pic n' pull to hold the pod.

Super excited to almost have the first itteration done! [up]

Johns
08-27-2015, 08:58 PM
This is looking much better than I had anticipated. I can't wait to see it in action! [wrench]

pbcrazy
08-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Fits pretty well inside, like I said before though. Needed lots of trimming on the board, even past the point I initially planned. My guess is due to when the enclosure was printed, it's not exact due to material expansion and so on. No problem though.

Interesting, I added a couple mm's all around on all 3 pieces just to make sure that wouldn't happen. Does the enclosure look too small also? If need be, you can easily sand or melt (acetone) the plastic without hurting it to make it fit better. Probably would be easier/safer than trimming the PCBs.

Also:
https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/yKdhNtMSCkR3cW1Nbi9yU8qep1b5ErwK/0827151742a.jpg
Is that cracked or is it just the angle?

Murph_129
08-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Interesting, I added a couple mm's all around on all 3 pieces just to make sure that wouldn't happen. Does the enclosure look too small also? If need be, you can easily sand or melt (acetone) the plastic without hurting it to make it fit better. Probably would be easier/safer than trimming the PCBs.

Also:
Is that cracked or is it just the angle?
It is indeed cracked. Was like that when I opened it. No problem though. It's not the length of the pod.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

pbcrazy
08-28-2015, 12:49 PM
It is indeed cracked. Was like that when I opened it. No problem though. It's not the length of the pod.

Well shit, I stuffed and taped it just to try to minimize the risk of that. Atleast it isn't too bad though

Murph_129
08-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Annnd the first prototype is in. I apologize for the video being turned halfway through.. I'll get some better shots later.

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/qCLV8cfVkRtGdPTZDgm9Z7l5M3tRQBMx/0829151548.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPJNfNfOpY

Murph_129
08-30-2015, 08:58 PM
Moved the gauge to the center and I like it wwwaaaaayyyy better. [up]

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/B6VZJLiGf6eV4FX4VBQx3ZDKM6f152R0/0830151347.jpg

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/YMdYqzGw72MfDqwAvd8OzapPwf1wmsJL/0830151423a.jpg

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/04eRVJPG9cdfG48xtmoE3QCDvnFekx2o/0830152117.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJDJUouz-M

Murph_129
08-31-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm just tearing though any issues I've had so far after install. Which thankfully have been minor or due to a shoddy and hurried install by me. One major issue that scared me alot (thankfully I resolved last night and just finished testing) was that the controller was running out of RAM about halfway through a drive and the gauge began acting erratic and crashing and rebooting. Thankfully I found some ways optimize the program and it doesn't seem to have any issues.

Here's a quick clip of the new startup routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbnTk8Yz2bk

Murph_129
09-19-2015, 11:10 AM
First iteration feedback has been completed and designs changed, couple dimensions to change on the 3D printing and on the PCB boards.. After that it should be good to go and ready to share with others! [:D]

Murph_129
09-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Working on a new startup screen!

https://dl.pushbulletusercontent.com/CH3Pzcj6yvGejL6ZLoTx93Gb45faJn6d/0921151941_HDR.jpg

bikerbob951
09-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Looks excellent man! Are you planning to share this as a complete package and/or product, or are you sharing it as a kit?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Murph_129
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
New init screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLM7n6F4OA

Looks excellent man! Are you planning to share this as a complete package and/or product, or are you sharing it as a kit?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Haven't fully decided what I'm going to do. I've thought about making it a DIY solder kit and you'd pay pretty much for parts, shipping, and slight labor for my designs but I've also thought about selling it as a complete product.. Compared to other products like it it will be CHEAP. I may even do both.. Idk yet..

At this point the answer is neither haha, I'm still deep in testing and not ready to share with others quite yet. But I do plan to share in some form eventually. Possibly around the beginning of next year.

Murph_129
12-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Well it's been quite a while since I've updated, but this semester has by far been my most busiest and stressful semester yet. Glad its over.

That being said, I unfortunately do not have a whole lot of updates to make other than some pod size adjustments done by pbcrazy. The screen fits a LOT better, I just need to adjust text positioning on the screen. So really this post is to address the future of this project. My first thought is that this thread is a complete mess. I went through so many design changes and changed the direction of the project completely several times. I'd like to look into keeping all my thoughts and progress in maybe a blog format, and whether people read it or not, it will be good for me to keep all my thoughts on record and organized. So, now the real information. Here's my current future plans

Version 1.2

Same functionality of the first version.
All components possible will be switched to surface mount. (Doing this I hope to reduce the size of the controller by almost 70%)
Code optimization and button interface for menus.
Finish implementing USB interface for logging from sensors plugged in. (Currently only boost is supported, but I would like to add oil and AFR in the near future)
Polish up enclosures fitting and sizing after controller re-sizing.

Version 2.0
This one will be fun and I'm looking forward to it. The closest I could find with similar functionality costs about $175, but I'm pretty sure I can do it cheaper and have more functionality.

Same basic functionality as V1.2 (Boost sensor interface, oil pressure sender interface, wideband interface)
USB interface for configuration of controller and display from a PC application
OBDII interface! This is the huge update and what made me increment the version to 2.0. I've got some schematics made and plan to add in OBDII interface. This means along with analog sensors wired into the controller, you will also be able to retrieve and log information such as; RPMs, Vehichle speed, Manifold pressure (M.Y. restricted), AFR ratio (M.Y. restricted), etc... As well as configure the display via the PC application and display any of this information retrieved through the OBDII port on the POD display.
DTC reading and clearing! So because of the OBDII interface, the PC application will also act as a basic OBDII code reader. (This will not replace VCDS, this is purely basic OBDII codes).

So I already know this is coming, because the comment has been made to me several times when I've talked about this new version, and that's adding a Bluetooth module and phone application to view all of this information. I agree, that would be badass! BUT! I know very little about mobile development. I do know several programming and scripting languages, but I've never tried mobile development. I have no doubt in my mind that I could figure it out and do it. It just won't be at the top of my list..

So. All of that being said, I hope this gets some people excited as I am. Also, any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

*Current pod (right) compared to old (left)
http://i.imgur.com/ttPoiUj.png

rodgertherabit
12-18-2015, 06:28 PM
why not print the pod and vent as one piece?

I love where this project has come and wehre its going. Maybe my CNC router can be of some assistance :-)

Murph_129
12-19-2015, 07:52 AM
why not print the pod and vent as one piece?

I love where this project has come and wehre its going. Maybe my CNC router can be of some assistance :-)
Absolutely! Pbcrazy and I have talked about this, but I have two restrictions. The first being that we'd have to dimension a vent and integrate it all together. I'm sure through a small series of prints we'd get it, but we are both full time students, so we don't have much time to spare.

My second restriction is that this system isn't purely for B5 Audis. I want everyone to be able to enjoy this. For instance, version 1.2 will be installed in my dad's 69 Coronet. So I want it to be.. Flexible.

CNC router eh? I'm looking into making the enclosures out of maybe alluminum.. An alluminum pod would be slick.. Is that something you could do if you had the dimensions?

rodgertherabit
12-19-2015, 09:40 PM
you can probably buy premade pods for cheaper than I could produce.

Now the face (wher ethe leds and screen is) I can machine a while 4x8 sheet of them out of abs no problem. Thats where this machine shines.

All I need is an STL and I can get ABS in up to 2in thick. Id imagine .5in stock would be pleantly to get the face and the curves needed. They can be machined out of HDPE, PVC, ABS, Acrylic, and any kind of Wood.[cool]

zillarob
12-19-2015, 10:01 PM
You guys see these?
The ste ppd had a panda 2 with an adapter board for the cluster, but the cobra 3 looks like it also runs a display and could be bad ass for somebody that knew how to program it.

The ppd was pretty neat, but the adapter board was a little iffy and might have been nice if there was a little more open development with the software.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/540

https://www.ghielectronics.com/img/www/products/540-0_large.jpg

Murph_129
12-20-2015, 09:46 PM
You guys see these?
The ste ppd had a panda 2 with an adapter board for the cluster, but the cobra 3 looks like it also runs a display and could be bad ass for somebody that knew how to program it.

The ppd was pretty neat, but the adapter board was a little iffy and might have been nice if there was a little more open development with the software.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/540

https://www.ghielectronics.com/img/www/products/540-0_large.jpg

Never heard of those, but sounds pretty neat and is loaded with Serial communication connections.. like.. LOADED.. lol

For the purpose of this project though I'm doing everything self made (schematics, layouts, pcb design). That way I have full control over the end product and I gain the most from it as a learning experience. Great link though [up]

Murph_129
12-20-2015, 09:55 PM
you can probably buy premade pods for cheaper than I could produce.

Now the face (wher ethe leds and screen is) I can machine a while 4x8 sheet of them out of abs no problem. Thats where this machine shines.

All I need is an STL and I can get ABS in up to 2in thick. Id imagine .5in stock would be pleantly to get the face and the curves needed. They can be machined out of HDPE, PVC, ABS, Acrylic, and any kind of Wood.[cool]

hmmmmm. I'll have to think about it. And my bad. For some reason my mind went straight to like.. a full blown three-dimensional CNC machine that cuts whole parts of a block of stock lol.. Not like a table top one like you have (I'm assuming).

zillarob
12-21-2015, 12:00 AM
When you get this one wrapped up, something based on the cobra 3 would be sweet if you get bored [:D]
I dont think you would have a prob with a customer base either, people stiil asking about the ppd and the fis control from the other side of the pond.

The ppd was pretty cool being plug and play and all, but I think I would like something a little more flexible.
The size of the ppd makes it a mofo to install, and Im sure the jumpers between it and the cluster add a chunk to the cost.
Id think just an adapter board/shield that makes use of more of the inputs for pressure transducers and temp sensors would be nice.
I dont imagine wiring it in would be too difficult to do manually.
If the software were left open, I but people would add all sorts of cool stuff [;)]

rodgertherabit
12-21-2015, 06:26 AM
yeah its a full 4x8 3axis flat bed. with about a foot of z articulation

I can also use the CNC to make stupid accurate molds (single or multipiece), which we can cast abs from... so we can make the face and pods from.

Ill try and cut out a prototype to post, the Modeling is pretty basic on the face

Murph_129
12-21-2015, 10:28 AM
yeah its a full 4x8 3axis flat bed. with about a foot of z articulation

I can also use the CNC to make stupid accurate molds (single or multipiece), which we can cast abs from... so we can make the face and pods from.

Ill try and cut out a prototype to post, the Modeling is pretty basic on the face

If you did two piece. The face and the cylindrical part of the pod I mean.. How would you suggest mating them?

rodgertherabit
12-21-2015, 07:13 PM
design a lip/flange into them... easy

Ephry73
10-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Updates on this project?