PDA

View Full Version : Problem with bagged B5, Airlift has stopped helping.

clumsyme
02-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Let me start off with saying that this is my first time bagging a car and I dont have anyone local to me that has a bagged car to help. But I installed an airlift kit with accuair switchspeed and everything went fine until I tried to air up my rears. At the recommend pressure I was at 23ftg... too low for driving and too low when aired out. This is what it looked like with 40 psi, I didnt dare let it go any lower.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr13/clumsymccabe/IMG_3464.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/clumsymccabe/media/IMG_3464.jpg.html)

I then took the rears out and figured because I have an avant not a sedan and it has a bit of extra weight then I just have to adjust the rears up a bit and so I did, I thought it was no big issue. Raised the rear threads and nothing changed. Took the rears back out and spun them up all the way and put them in and the highest I was able to get was 24ftg at 100 psi. At this point I figure something is wrong, I called Airlift and started to try and figure out the issue over the next 3 days I try various things ranging from changing manifold order, inflating the bags externally, taking measurements with the bags in and out of the car, load and no load. Finally I thought I found something. When I air up the rear from sitting on the ground I get to ~24ftg BUT when I jack a corner up, air it up to pressure and then let the corner down it settles at 26ftg. I thought that the issue was coming from the rear not pushing up all the way. This is what it looked like aired up under weight.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr13/clumsymccabe/image.jpg1.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/clumsymccabe/media/image.jpg1.jpg.html)

So finally I got a call from airlift and here was their answer.
We know this kit can obtain a higher ride height but yours doesnt. Our suggestion is to stiffen the rear shock and drive at 120psi. (max pressure being 125) to reach your desired ride height (26ftg) which through me testing I wasnt able to achieve without jacking the car up first and then if I drove it around the block it would settle back to ~24ftg. When I asked what do I do about the rears airing out too low and their solution was to drill a second set of shock mount holes that are lower. Im sorry but when that is your solution I think there is a bigger problem.

Anyone with a bagged B5 a4/s4/sedan/avant please let me know I am trying to figure this out and what to do because it is apparent that airlift is done trying to help me with their product.

SGS
02-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't know of a lot of bagged cars on this forum. I am sure there are but another great place to look is on VWVortex. I am sure there are more bagged cars on that forum. Sorry I am of no help but I have full coils [up]

crazexr7
02-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I just posted in your vortex thread, but I'll copy and paste here:

Hopefully it's something easy, that someone may know about.

There's a couple people I can think of to ask on instagram if you have it, just in case they don't browse this forum that much.

DM @christophernelson, @aledelic42, @damn_you_scuba_steve, @bagged_b5 or @sparkyvw Those are all the people I know of on bagged b5s that may be able to help.

Also if this is a defective product I'd be sure to plaster it all over social media if they don't want to resolve it. Most companies hate to get a bad rep over social media, so they will try to fix the problem before word gets out that their products aren't that great.

Hope everything works out.

clumsyme
02-12-2015, 09:59 AM
I just posted in your vortex thread, but I'll copy and paste here:

Hopefully it's something easy, that someone may know about.

There's a couple people I can think of to ask on instagram if you have it, just in case they don't browse this forum that much.

DM @christophernelson, @aledelic42, @damn_you_scuba_steve, @bagged_b5 or @sparkyvw Those are all the people I know of on bagged b5s that may be able to help.

Also if this is a defective product I'd be sure to plaster it all over social media if they don't want to resolve it. Most companies hate to get a bad rep over social media, so they will try to fix the problem before word gets out that their products aren't that great.

Hope everything works out.

I have reached out to a few of those guys and am starting to get info back and I have messaged airlift reps on here, vortex, stanceworks and have yet to hear anything back. and I have started posting this thread on most forums that I am part of.

crazexr7
02-12-2015, 10:22 AM
If you don't hear anything back, post on their facebook page, or make an instagram post with them tagged and call them out on their customer service. They should respond to that.

clumsyme
02-12-2015, 10:39 AM
If you don't hear anything back, post on their facebook page, or make an instagram post with them tagged and call them out on their customer service. They should respond to that.

I dont have a facebook but I might need one to go that

clumsyme
02-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Well shit that worked fast, posted on facebook already got a message from them, I will update when I hear anything.

crazexr7
02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
They're in charge of making their company look good. It's their job to clear this sort of stuff up. Hope everything works out [up]

Jeremy@AirLift
02-13-2015, 08:50 AM
It sounds like you need to run more air pressure. 40 psi is not near enough for the rear of a wagon. I would run more psi in the rear, which is required since your car weighs more than a sedan.

I am not sure who you have PM'd on this forum, but let me know if you need anymore help or email me at jhart@airliftcompany.com

clumsyme
02-13-2015, 09:17 AM
They're in charge of making their company look good. It's their job to clear this sort of stuff up. Hope everything works out [up]

Got a call from Kyle today who talked me through everything and I got the car sorted out with everything and found the issue of my problem for both the not going high enough to drive and the airing out too low

It sounds like you need to run more air pressure. 40 psi is not near enough for the rear of a wagon. I would run more psi in the rear, which is required since your car weighs more than a sedan.

I am not sure who you have PM'd on this forum, but let me know if you need anymore help or email me at jhart@airliftcompany.com

Thank you Jeremy, Kyle contacted me this morning and talked me through my issues. that 40 psi was how much was in that bag when I took the pic not how much I wanted to put in there.

Thank you for the help everyone.

xdewaynex
02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Good to hear you got it sorted out. What ended up being the fix?

clumsyme
02-13-2015, 10:32 AM
Good to hear you got it sorted out. What ended up being the fix?

The issue was that I didnt know enough about sleeve bags, what I have to do it when airing up I have to over air it a bit to ~130 psi to get the bag to stand up all the way and then let a little pressure out to comfortable driving pressure.

xdewaynex
02-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Thats a new one to me as well. Ive only ever dealt with the double bellow bags used on mini trucks.

clumsyme
02-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Thats a new one to me as well. Ive only ever dealt with the double bellow bags used on mini trucks.

Me as well. And I feel kinda bad making the people at airlift deal with me so much over the past week but I did mention that this was my first bagged car and I had little experience on installing/ operating them.

But I am just happy I can go home tonight and dial in everything.

crazexr7
02-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Glad you got it sorted and it was simple.

They should probably put a disclaimer in an information packet about airing up sleeve bags with their kits. I wouldn't think that's common knowledge right out of the box.

clumsyme
02-14-2015, 01:35 PM
Glad you got it sorted and it was simple.

They should probably put a disclaimer in an information packet about airing up sleeve bags with their kits. I wouldn't think that's common knowledge right out of the box.

Well it took talking to 4 people for someone to tell me that. So either they assume people know that as well or they didnt know either. The last guy I talked to Kyle explained it because he knew that acura TSX and TL guys have to run sleeves and have to run a minimum of 130 to get the car up as well.