PDA

View Full Version : Want a brand new key fob for less than $10?

redline380
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Picked this up for the Avant $6.35 and shipping was fast!- http://www.ebay.com/itm/171000902653?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I removed the board from the stock key. It kinda sucked because the board was riveted down. I had to carefully drill them out to free the board.

I then had to remove the blade from my old fob. Once I put it in, it wouldn't clip back together well. I figure out the blade that came with the Chinese fob was only 8.5mm, the Audi one is 9mm. I ground the excess off (not sure if this is necessary at this point) and put it back together. It was very stiff but I figure with a few flips it would loosen up. Sure enough it did!

I put it all back together and it wouldn't work! WTF, right? After inspecting everything a few times, I realized the stock batteries are too small and wouldn't contact the leads in the new fob. So I checked the ebay listing and sure enough the new fob takes 2032 batteries, not 1620 batteries. I am in class until 8:00, so Ill pick some batteries up after class to make sure it works.

There are write ups around, but I couldn't find one that explained everything. I would have taken pictures and made a write up, but I was in a huge hurry before class. So, If anyone wants a write up, I will order another fob and make a good write up. I like this method because you get a brand new fob but no need to have a new blade cut.

Mad Cow
02-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I had the exact same problems as you did when I bought a similar fob. I ended up using the battery holder portion from my old fob because the battery contacts on the new one were nowhere near the pads on the PCB. The material the buttons are made of is garbage too, after less than a month there was a ridge around the outside where the flat part touches the thicker material around the edge. You can kinda see it in this picture, much more noticeable than the picture would make it seem. Maybe it's just a fluke with my fob since it's only on the lock button though. I can also see the unlock button becoming concave like my much older OEM fobs.
http://i.imgur.com/dnNHpcn.jpg

For the price I can't complain, and you can buy the buttons separately for pennies so you could just stock up and change them out every once in a while if it really bothers you.

rodgertherabit
02-12-2015, 06:46 AM
pretty sure you can get em from amazon for about the same price.

GrapeBandit
02-12-2015, 06:59 AM
I seen these on fleabay before. im actually thinking about modifying a b6 or b7 key to work.

ricekikr
02-12-2015, 07:08 AM
Ebay has them for a bit less. $3.36

I seen these on fleabay before. im actually thinking about modifying a b6 or b7 key to work.

Any specific key in mind? I've been wanting to do this as well. But the shapes of the ones i see are too different.

redline380
02-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Well the verdict is in. I got it to work, but it is far more effort than most people will want to take.

The main issue is that the positive lead does not contact the board where it should, so there is no electrical connection. Pretty dumb actually.

For the average person, this one is a complete waste of time. Find a different fob

GrapeBandit
02-12-2015, 07:13 AM
Any specific key in mind? I've been wanting to do this as well. But the shapes of the ones i see are too different.
I haven't really looked recently, but from what I remember, you take your guts, swap them over, and the bottom sides of our b5 key need a little grinding down so it will fold into the b6/b7 fob

Mad Cow
02-12-2015, 07:46 AM
I haven't really looked recently, but from what I remember, you take your guts, swap them over, and the bottom sides of our b5 key need a little grinding down so it will fold into the b6/b7 fob

I don't think that would work. I did a quick search and found a guide on how to make a B7 key work in a B6 and the PCBs are completely different, meaning you'll have to use the B7 PCB which operates on a different frequency/protocol than B5 and early B6. You might get lucky and be able to swap some components over from the B5 key, but that's pretty unlikely. Would be interesting to find out though, if I ever come across a cheap B7 key I'll definitely try it out.

GrapeBandit
02-12-2015, 07:52 AM
I don't think that would work. I did a quick search and found a guide on how to make a B7 key work in a B6 and the PCBs are completely different, meaning you'll have to use the B7 PCB which operates on a different frequency/protocol than B5 and early B6. You might get lucky and be able to swap some components over from the B5 key, but that's pretty unlikely. Would be interesting to find out though, if I ever come across a cheap B7 key I'll definitely try it out.

I could be wrong, its something I havent read up on in a while. our b5 key fobs arent necessarily ugly anyways, no need to really change up

redline380
02-12-2015, 07:54 AM
I could be wrong, its something I havent read up on in a while. our b5 key fobs arent necessarily ugly anyways, no need to really change up

Yeah I wasn't going for a bitchin look or anything, just a new fob. Like I said, I made this one work, but it wasn't easy

ricekikr
02-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Anyone tried the ebay keys with the new remote? My switch blade range sucks, while the non-switchblade has better range.

redline380
02-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Anyone tried the ebay keys with the new remote? My switch blade range sucks, while the non-switchblade has better range.

Kind of funny,actually. Once I this one working, I noticed range is actually pretty good. I was about 40 feet away from my car inside my house

ricekikr
02-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Kind of funny,actually. Once I this one working, I noticed range is actually pretty good. I was about 40 feet away from my car inside my house
Great to hear. This is the ebay made in china ones right?

RallyeBourne
02-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Just ordered 2. Winning!

RallyeBourne
02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
Well, shit. Seems I missed a few posts.

What exactly did you need to do to make it work? I still need to pick up the new batteries, but everything else is done. So I don't know where I stand in terms of functionality yet.

redline380
02-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Well, shit. Seems I missed a few posts.

What exactly did you need to do to make it work? I still need to pick up the new batteries, but everything else is done. So I don't know where I stand in terms of functionality yet.

Where are you at? get them yet?

RallyeBourne
02-19-2015, 10:18 PM
Where are you at? get them yet?
Yeah, I got them. Got everything switched over. Just need batteries (or so I hope.)

redline380
02-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I got them. Got everything switched over. Just need batteries (or so I hope.)

Did you look at the battery contacts? They don't match up for me so I had to use the stock back cover. That's probably why it didn't work for you I am guessing. Batteries might still be good

RallyeBourne
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM
I never got it to work. The contacts were completely wrong. And my old fob back cover wouldn't sit right. Left a gap I wasn't willing to deal with. So I just transferred over all the buttons to my old fobs. Look like new!
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/7c5cc398e3df525fb2b25d44e4ce5ed1.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/9e5e986f267cafaf0b1454001bea13a5.jpg

Mad Cow
02-21-2015, 03:37 PM
You can swap over the button you use to flip the key out too, it's a bit of a pain to wind the spring back up but worth it.

redline380
02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
I made mine work. Took a very long time, but I got it to work.