PDA

View Full Version : ABS wheel Speed Sensor Removal / Replacement quick question

LA4
02-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm replacing the ABS sensor on my front passenger side wheel and have a stupid question.

I kept reading all these horror stories of it being seized inside the hub, but mine came out easily. However, I'm not entirely sure about where the wiring line goes into the car (see picture). I don't want to just yank this out hard, that seems like it would damage where I plug the new sensor in.
http://s30.postimg.org/dhnuua7hd/IMG_0984.jpg

I need to know how to fully remove this old sensor and plug the new one in. Thanks in advance.

Seerlah
02-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Connector is right on the other side of the grommet. Pop it off.

Turbo_B5
02-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Mine is seized into the hub. [down]

LA4
02-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Got it!

I was worried about ripping the connector but now I see there's quite a bit of slack in the line. It seemed super tight.

Way easier than I thought, thank you @Seerlah.

LA4
02-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Mine is seized into the hub. [down]

I was fully expecting mine to be seized as well. I live right in the middle of the rust belt.

My pinch bolt for the upper controls was a relentlessness bitch to remove.

This came out easy with a pair of vice grips on the 1st try. I love when car repairs actually go according to plan, because they almost never do.

richardodn
02-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Consider yourself lucky. I just redid the wheel bearings and lower bushings on the rear spindle. Not only were the old sensors seized inside, but the PO had broken off the retaining screws. Suffice it to say it was a PITA, but all is good now.

vtraudt
02-12-2015, 04:49 AM
Tips for removing seized sensor? Have 2 cars where sensor is not coming out.

seanf86
02-12-2015, 05:35 AM
Tips for removing seized sensor? Have 2 cars where sensor is not coming out.

I broke the sensor off, removed the upright and hammered it out in bits with a punch.

vtraudt
02-12-2015, 05:43 AM
I broke the sensor off, removed the upright and hammered it out in bits with a punch.

Hammer to the inside of the hub I presume?
No other solution (without removing upright from car)?
Last one I did: took upright off and drilled out (slightly smaller bit).

Soaking, heat, etc, no solution I guess? Seems to me the outside 'shell' of the sensor galvanically 'welds' itself to the cast iron hub.

seanf86
02-12-2015, 05:45 AM
I didn't think I could get the angle I needed to get enough force so I took it out and hammered it inwards after I broke the end of the sensor off. You can try heating it while hammering to make it go a little easier.