PDA

View Full Version : stripped lug nut

J_C
09-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Don't know who to blame for this...Discount Tires for over tightening or Pep Boys (had to get new front tires and they said they couldn't take it off) could be lieing to me...either way no one is taking responsibility for the stripped lug nut.
anyways, does anyone know where i could get it fixed, and is it true that my rotor might be jacked cuz of this? and more importantly...how bad is this going to hurt my wallet?

Droors43
09-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, I doubt anyone will take blame in this case and it's hard to prove who did it since you weren't aware of the stripped lug prior to (and if it was even stripped to begin with). No proof it was or wasn't stripped before you took it to either place doesn't get you very far.

But, let me get this straight....

Are you referring to a stripped lug as in the actual end of the lug is stripped or are you saying that the actual threading is stripped?

J_C
09-12-2005, 12:06 PM
sorry...it's the threading. the whole stud just spins and doesn't come out

kris_tdi
09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
you can get it drilled out and tapped, shouldnt be too expensive, maybe an hours labour.

Droors43
09-12-2005, 12:14 PM
They make stud extractors...

They grab the threads on a stud and you can turn it.

Not sure if they're designed to work in this case, but give it a shot maybe...google it maybe or wait till someone else chimes in.

Once the stud is out, you can re-tap the threads for a new stud.

ColumbiaDeath
09-12-2005, 12:22 PM
we don't have lug nuts, we have lug bolts.

Droors43
09-12-2005, 12:23 PM
I think we all understand what he meant...

bitterchild
09-12-2005, 05:03 PM
I personally would drill it out and retap. That is unless they totally fubar'd the hub

quickglx
09-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Droors43
They make stud extractors...

They grab the threads on a stud and you can turn it.

Not sure if they're designed to work in this case, but give it a shot maybe...google it maybe or wait till someone else chimes in.

Once the stud is out, you can re-tap the threads for a new stud.

This might work IF we had lug nuts, as ColumbiaDeath stated. but since we have lug bolts this isn't gonna work at all. Have someone put some pressure on the back of the wheel(maybe with a prybar if necessary)while someone else tries to unscrew it, just to get it out...

If the bolt is turning and not coming out, the hole is probably too fuct for a successful rethread. You will need a new hub and lug bolt, and probably wheel bearing as it will most likely get messed up pressing the hub out. Or just run four bolts.... Sux, I hate negligence. Most shops just use an impact gun to tighten lugs and it can get rediculously tight if they don't use a torque stick, which very few do.

bitterchild
09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I've yet to see a generic lube/tire place use a torque stick.

DRA4
09-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Good luck with that, same thing happend to me a few weeks ago, had a flat and could not get the damn bolt off, took me a week to solve the problem.

onemoremile
09-13-2005, 06:50 AM
if a tapped hole is stripped then you can NOT drill it out and re-tap it. it won't have any strength. if you drill it out you are left with a larger minor diameter than your original major diameter. there simply isn't enough material left to cut threads in.

you could try a heli-coil or similar threaded insert but they are a band-aid fix. what you really need is a new brake rotor. depending on how far worn your rotors are you may have to replace them in pairs.

i deal with thousands of custom tapped holes all day long. you can't re-tap that hole.
my company (omnistructures) builds high-precision metrology equipment that uses a tapped hole with a minor diameter truncated to accept dowels. the bronze or copper color components are ours.
http://omnistructures.com/applications/machined_piston_02.html

J_C
09-13-2005, 07:29 AM
if that's the case and the hole can not be retapped, does this mean i need to get a new rotor and hub?

onemoremile
09-13-2005, 08:00 AM
it would be the right way to do it. if you replaced the damaged parts then you wouldn't ever have to worry about it again.

another approach would be a heavy duty thread repair. they can be a bit of a pain to install and their strength is directly related to the quality of the install. if installed correctly, it should last the life of the vehicle.

i would use a keensert. it is a threaded insert that has a nice key locking feature. this will help ensure that your repaired thread will hold the required torque and not rotate in the hole.

http://www.newmantools.com/kee.htm

note that you do need the proper size tap drill (slightly larger than the standard for that thread size) and a good countersink bit. some mechanical knowledge would also be very helpful. you could also find an independant garage and see if they would do it for you.

Ben@SpeedBarn
09-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by J_C
if that's the case and the hole can not be retapped, does this mean i need to get a new rotor and hub?

You will need a new hub but not a new rotor. There are no threads in the rotor. The hub would be the "nut" and the rotor would be like the "washer"

J_C
09-13-2005, 09:02 AM
thanks for all the info, a local German auto repair shop quoted me @ $65 (1hr of labor) to remove it.

Ben@SpeedBarn
09-13-2005, 09:54 AM
What are their plans after they remove it?

bitterchild
09-13-2005, 10:02 AM
well if you drill it out right which is removing only the core of the bolt and allowing the thread material to collapse on itself you might have a chance of retapping. Course id the bolt is freely rotating in the hub then that means you basically have no useful material to use when retapping. Either find a used hub for cheap or sleeve it along the lines of onemoremile's post

J_C
09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Ben@SpeedBarn
What are their plans after they remove it?

no plans yet, they wanna see it before they can tell me what damage if any there are. mainly they want to get the bolt off first then see how bad the hub is, if it's not bad like many have said...they'll probably just rethread it. but what sux is that i won't have time to bring it in for another week. keeping my fingers crossed that i don't get a flat on it from now till then[:D]