PDA

View Full Version : High pitched whine

BranCKY3
09-12-2005, 12:26 AM
A couple days ago I heard a high pitched whine coming from the rear of my car. It is always there, when driving or when idling. It's not noticeable unless I listen to it while driving, but I can definately hear it on idle. It sounds like when I do a TBA, but not that loud and higher pitched.

Listening closer, I found it to be coming from the rear passanger side.

Any idea?

offroader1006
09-12-2005, 06:23 AM
could be a loud fuel pump.

ive never heard that in our cars, but it would sound like the TBA.

94jedi
09-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by offroader1006
could be a loud fuel pump.

ive never heard that in our cars, but it would sound like the TBA.

that's my guess too. fuel pumps always make a whine type noise. do you have your rear seats out or folded down? sometimes that exaggerates the noise.

Daft
09-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Definately the fuel pump.

Even a properly working unit will make some sound. It's when they get rediculously loud that they are on their way out.

Some aftermarket pumps are very loud because of their motor but, a stock one should be pretty quiet all the time.

onemoremile
09-12-2005, 07:10 AM
i get that every once in a while.

the funnier noise is when the vaccuum pump that controls the door locks makes a mooing noise. i pulled the car into the garage and my 3 year old boy climbed out. after he shut the door i heard him mooing at the car and he said it was "cow talking" to him. "daddy it cow talks." funny as hell.

skold
09-12-2005, 09:20 AM
do you have aftermarket head unit, if so you need to add grounds for it , its the headunit picking up the sound of your turbo, this is no bs i had the same problem.

BranCKY3
09-12-2005, 09:27 AM
No I don't h ave an aftermarket headunit. I can hear it better outside the car it seems.. I always have my back seats up. I'll ask my mechanic when I see him next if it's normal.

Daft
09-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by onemoremile
i get that every once in a while.

the funnier noise is when the vaccuum pump that controls the door locks makes a mooing noise. i pulled the car into the garage and my 3 year old boy climbed out. after he shut the door i heard him mooing at the car and he said it was "cow talking" to him. "daddy it cow talks." funny as hell.

funny stuff.

Actually, I once listened to that vacuum noise closely and it kind of sounds like the noise in Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" between each of the "Wanna whole lotta love?" lines during the chorus.