PDA

View Full Version : Ko3 Help

01'A41.8T
09-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Ok, so I am in the process of removing my K03 because my K04 is coming tomorrow and I want everything to be ready. I am following the write up on AW and everything was going good. I didn't plan on changing the coolant as it said I would only loose a small amount. Well no. The write up is some what vague. I pinched the coolant line then proceeded to remove the line from the turbo and now all my coolant is pouring out of my turbo. I literally have it corked for now. Guess that line is return. What should I be doing? Thanks for the help.

drlandry00
09-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Maybe, if you could just let all the coolant drain into a bucket without getting it everywhere. then just refill.. Will prob be the easiest thing. Unless you can find the line the coolant is coming out of and pinch it.. Coolant isnt that expensive. Plus you will have all NEW FRESH coolant!! good luck man. Enjoy the K04!

TJHUB
09-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Same thing happened to me. I was unable to pinch off the coolant line on the side of the engine block. Just give up! Drain the coolant and replace it. I wasted a bunch of my time trying to come up with something that would work. I wasn't smart enough, so I said F*** it.

Just my opinion though...

bitterchild
09-11-2005, 12:59 PM
vise grips are the way to go w/ regards to pinching off your coolant feed and return lines. With the stock return line it's hard to get at a soft spot. I would recommend a drain and fill

alen
09-11-2005, 01:32 PM
guys i'm installing a k04 on mine as well and i had this same thing. i just said, fvck it i'll let it leak and replace the coolant. however, i ran into another problem.

my car is a 00 dbw with a secondary air pump and with a bunch of PCV pipes. well when i took off the k03 i broke the plastic pipe coming from the pump to the hard steel line that goes to the head. since i have to relocate this pump anyways is it all right to replace that ribbed plastic line with a rubber hose so i prevent any chances of breaking the line again? and if so is it ok to use a home depot rubber hose? thanks a bunch and here are some pics to let you know what i'm talking about.

alen

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/SecAirPumpLine.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/SecAirPumpLine2.jpg

http://www.vizualflux.com/linkedpics/SecAirPumpLine3.jpg

01'A41.8T
09-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Ugh I guess I will have to find a way to drain it without it going everywhere. Not that it already hasn't. I tried to use vise grips I just couldnt find the right line. Where and what coolant should I get? Everything else is done I just need to solve this problem and pull the thing out. Thanks for the help.

Kruat
09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Ya, same thing just happened to me. Damn AW! I just let it go....then added fresh coolant.

01'A41.8T
09-11-2005, 07:24 PM
OK all ready to go everything unhooked..except I can't for my life seem to wiggle the turbo enough to get to the banjo behind the coolant line. Every bolt is undone but the turbo still dosen't feel like its really going anywhere. ideas..

mike-2ptzero
09-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
OK all ready to go everything unhooked..except I can't for my life seem to wiggle the turbo enough to get to the banjo behind the coolant line. Every bolt is undone but the turbo still dosen't feel like its really going anywhere. ideas..

Did you remove the bolts on the turbo support that holds it to the block?

01'A41.8T
09-11-2005, 07:34 PM
The 6mm hex? If so yepp.

01'A41.8T
09-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Turbo comes today. So any tips on getting to the banjo behind the coolant line? Also what type of coolant should I get?

bitterchild
09-12-2005, 07:23 AM
banjos dont really come off til the turbo comes out. It can be done in car but youd help yourself out a lot if you got the downpipe/cat studs away from the turbo first to get som moving room. That's likely the only thing holding the turbo in place at this point.

mike-2ptzero
09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Just drain the coolant or get a small hose ready that is blocked at one end. Then remove the coolant line from the block that goes to the turbo. I just installed a coolant line in that same spot for my GT35r. I just pulled off the block they had on it and put a new hose on. I lost no more then a cup of coolant by doing it this way.

01'A41.8T
09-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Well all my coolant is gone now so I will be filling it back up. What collant should I use? The turbo just got here so im pretty excited to get this done. I have only put about 3 hours in all weekend because of work. Im off today so I have all day. thanks again

mike-2ptzero
09-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 01'A41.8T
Well all my coolant is gone now so I will be filling it back up. What collant should I use? The turbo just got here so im pretty excited to get this done. I have only put about 3 hours in all weekend because of work. Im off today so I have all day. thanks again

Need to buy some G12, can get it at the dealer or buy it online from a few of the audi sites.