PDA

View Full Version : No Starty This Morning

drlandry00
09-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey guys, Went to start my 2000 1.8t up this morning, and no go. Was like battery was dead, but everything inside worked. radio, lights. My TT said my battery was at 9-9.6 v so I dont know if my battery was dead, or if it was my starter?? I started it yesterday and it was a bit slow, but started.. Used it all day, it started up regular everytime I started it, THen this morning, nothing.. The battery is about 2 years old, and I do not know if it was a oem quality battery. What are some tell tail signs if it is the starter.??

You guys have never let me down yet. Throw some knowledge out there. Thanks again Boys.

Dave L.

R-Dub
09-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a battery or an alternator to me.

Time to whip out the voltmeter.

drlandry00
09-11-2005, 10:52 AM
yea my TT said it was at 9-9.6 volts after I tried starting it. Is that ok? or should it be at 12? it is usually at 14 while driving.. dont think it is the altenator because it was good all day yesterday.

jent
09-11-2005, 10:54 AM
it shouild be around 12 when the car is off...sounds like battery to me

drlandry00
09-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Jent. that is what I wanted to hear. didnt even occure to me that it could be my battery this morning.. Good thing for my TT. dont have to test the battery now.. well, does anyone know a great battery for our cars. and where to get them?

oh yea, does a battery just kinda quit out like that?? or could it be my altenater not charging it fully while driving?

no1hustller
09-11-2005, 11:07 AM
It could be that the alternater is not charging properly and in turn it took out your battery. The first step is too replace the battery. Be warned, they are more expensive than most since you have an Audi. I replaced mine with an Interstate. Optima is good also. After you get the battery, have the alternater checked to make sure it is charging properly. If you go to like an Autozone or such, they usually test them for free.

drlandry00
09-11-2005, 11:13 AM
awesome, thanks guys. I will get it done!

bitterchild
09-11-2005, 11:37 AM
it's a $55 battery at your local parts store.

no1hustller
09-11-2005, 12:42 PM
You get what you pay for.

Neo1130
09-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by no1hustller

Normally I would agree but car batteries as long as they are name brand are good... Sorry you probably got screwed by the dealer... $55 is good for a battery...

no1hustller
09-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Neo1130
Normally I would agree but car batteries as long as they are name brand are good... Sorry you probably got screwed by the dealer... $55 is good for a battery...

HAHAHHA, I didn't get screwed at the dealer. I got the battery FROM Interstate at wholesale. $55 for a battery is dirt cheap. I deal with part prices everyday.

BarryT82
09-11-2005, 10:34 PM
I think I paid $85 or so for mine from Advance Auto. I got a discount on it though I believe. Advance Auto can test your battery to see if it needs replaced also. It's a pain in the ass to put it also, not like a civic or anything. Advance tried to charge me to put the battery in because it was in a covert type of area. The sign says free so that means free damnit.

almaster666
09-11-2005, 10:38 PM
to test the charging system, once you have a new battery
start the car
and then unplug the battery
if the engine keeps on running then everythings fine and it was only your batery.

and yes, batteries do just die out... happened to mine just a few weeks ago.

R-Dub
09-12-2005, 01:33 AM
I got a battery for my old Ford at Costco....cost me 49 bucks with a 10 year warrenty.[:D]

bitterchild
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by no1hustller

Either you get a $55 battery for $55 or you get a $55 battery and a dealership w/ a new showroom for the third year in a row for $130 or whatever they charge. It's the same lead plates and acid. Same group size, same reverse terminals, same vapor retention, same cca/ca capability... the only difference is the written warranty and the guy in a blue shirt that puts it in for you. Maybe you'll get a little terminal sponge. That'll make it all worth it. I mean you got what you paid for.

As a whole though, interstate batteries are pretty good. Their margins are too steep for me though. Same w/ sears/diehard. As long as you don't go too cheap and/or undersize your battery, cheaper batteries do hold up fairly well. As with anything else it has a lot to do w/ your specific usage pattern though.

onemoremile
09-12-2005, 07:57 AM
i'm a big fan of optima but don't think they are the only good thing out there. my wife's outback has one. my a4 has an A8 battery stuffed into it. i have no idea how the previous owner got that thing in there. i hardly need 80 amp hours in this tiny little car.

your starter may be bad. try jumping your car or putting a battery charger on it for a while. if it won't start with a full charge then you know it is the starter. did you hear the relay clicking when you tried to start it?

drlandry00
09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Yea, all is well, replaced with a duralast battery from autozone. $69.99 Car starts right up.. thank god it was only the battery and not the altenator or the starter. I just moved into a new apartment and need all the loot I can get my hands on. Thanks for all the good info.. Keep it in ya sneaker!!

Audimarc
09-12-2005, 01:13 PM
You're lucky it wasn't the starter solenoid. That's a bitch.