PDA

View Full Version : Screwing Up the Tiptronic Tranny! How to Stop!??!

pKi86
09-11-2005, 12:20 AM
i keep on shifting up into neutral from D, thinking that im in tiptronic mode, and then when its shifted to neutral, the revs go crazy...then i panic and push back into D without letting go of the gas, and the tires chirp as the revs are caught higher...
how bad of a beating is this to my tranny? i did this about a dozen times, and im seriously worried about the status of my tranny/car... so how worried shoudl i be?!

i always seem to do this...is there any way to prevent this? anyone else find themselves doing this alot?

BranCKY3
09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Yes there is a way to prevent it, don't shift when the car isn't in tip mode. I don't think its THAT bad, but don't do it... it still can hurt your car pretty badly.

jent
09-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Yea this is not good for sure. Not sure how much damage you have done....and as for a way to prevent this just pay attention to your driving.

diegomatrix
09-11-2005, 01:25 AM
slap your right hand everytime you do that....maybe it'll teach your hand not to have a mind of its own...

...or...give $100 to red cross each time you do that...i'm sure you won't do it anymore soon...

black9918tq
09-11-2005, 07:37 AM
it sounds like u are doing neutral drops, this is not good 4 ur trans and i say that ur trans will drop if u keep doing this

B5A4
09-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by pKi86
i keep on shifting up into neutral from D, thinking that im in tiptronic mode, and then when its shifted to neutral, the revs go crazy...then i panic and push back into D without letting go of the gas, and the tires chirp as the revs are caught higher...
how bad of a beating is this to my tranny? i did this about a dozen times, and im seriously worried about the status of my tranny/car... so how worried shoudl i be?!

i always seem to do this...is there any way to prevent this? anyone else find themselves doing this alot?

Are you serious? I'm not bashing you, but instead of panicing, just let off the dern gas regain yourself (haha) and then put it in drive when you come to a stop. If you aren't gonna be stopping for a while, hold your revs at 2k or so, then put it back in to drive and it should go right back in to 4th or 5th depending on how fast you are driving, and holding it at 2k will make it not as rough when it goes back in to gear. Hopefully this makes sense. Why are you shifting it when it isn't in Tip mode j/w?

B5A4
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by black9918tq
it sounds like u are doing neutral drops, this is not good 4 ur trans and i say that ur trans will drop if u keep doing this

I used to have a 88 2 door S-10 blazer w/ V6 and auto, i redline dropped that thing in to D probobly 30 times like it was my job and it was fine. (We were planning to take it to the junkyard so I decided to beat the f*ck out of it. It ended up getting towed due to a bent crankshaft haha). Just figured I would say that. But it is totally different on an Audi. Sorry for the offtopic post :)

pKi86
09-11-2005, 12:15 PM
so basically, from the responses, can i conclude that my tranny is toast? or on the verge of dropping out?
would it be able to last years? or is it something i should sell sooner?

should i be pissing in my pants worried about the failure of my tip or the reduced life of my tranny?

AudiMan
09-11-2005, 01:34 PM
there are better charities than red cross, the bigger charities like red cross has high admin fees and only like 60% of your contribution goes to the cause

no1hustller
09-11-2005, 01:41 PM
I've accidentally done that a couple times. Only way to prevent it is not to be stupid.

flyinb501
09-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Just make sure you let off the gas before shiftin back into gear

pKi86
09-11-2005, 06:20 PM
thats the thing...i didnt let go of the gas, and then the tires chirped [=(]

bitterchild
09-11-2005, 06:48 PM
you're fine, now stop being a douche

A4-Vblack
09-11-2005, 07:26 PM
You'll feel if the tranny is going, so sounds like your OK for now.

Don't you have tip shifting on the steering wheel?

imola_Jon
09-12-2005, 01:45 AM
As long as you don't notice any problems, you probably didn't do any damage. I'm not really sure though, I've never done that before (prolly 'cause I have a 6sp! ;)

jent
09-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by imola_Jon
As long as you don't notice any problems, you probably didn't do any damage. I'm not really sure though, I've never done that before (prolly 'cause I have a 6sp! ;)
you s4 bastard

A4-Vblack
09-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Don't be a hater............. :)

RedRocket
09-12-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by pKi86

WTF you're kidding right?

Stop acting clumsey and get confortable with driving and automobile. Control what you are doing. Be glad you're mixing up the tranny and not the pedals. Maybe take drivers ed........

pKi86
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
i just drove my car again and inspected it trying to see if the car drives any different...and there seems to be nothing different...feels like same as before...
is the car just deceiving me, and the tranny could actually fail later on its life b/c of the drops? or you think ill be fine?

B5A4
09-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by flyinb501
Just make sure you let off the gas before shiftin back into gear

its good to give it a little gas (like 1250 RPM or something, because it makes it less rough on the clutches going back in to gear, wouldn't you think? Or am I off.

MR VTEC
09-15-2005, 07:02 AM
pk how old are you? (this is a serious question i might add)

LoeA4
09-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by bitterchild
you're fine, now stop being a douche

[up]

euro3b
09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by diegomatrix
slap your right hand everytime you do that....maybe it'll teach your hand not to have a mind of its own...

...or...give $100 to red cross each time you do that...i'm sure you won't do it anymore soon...

LOL you guys here are funny! Man that was a great post.

Rich [:)]

almaster666
09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
if you have tip controls on the steering wheel, just use those all the time that way you can keep both hands on the steering wheel and wont confuse the radio's volume control with the steeriing wheel j/k

almaster666
09-15-2005, 01:13 PM
dont worry to much about the tranny givin out, these cars are engineered to have quite a safe margin for people who make mistakes

MR VTEC
09-15-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by almaster666
dont worry to much about the tranny givin out, these cars are engineered to have quite a safe margin for people who make mistakes
yeah okay!!! [rolleyes]
that's why the cel comes on for everything

almaster666
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
CEL comes on when you mod the crap out of your car and the ECU has no idea what the heck is going on anyomre

bitterchild
09-15-2005, 07:21 PM
CEL comes on when you mod the crap out of your car and the ECU has no idea what the heck is going on anyomre

haha, classic

IndieRockSteve
09-16-2005, 05:11 PM

amen.