PDA

View Full Version : Probable Camshaft Oil Leak

AudiBoy17
02-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Well while I was getting my coilovers installed, the mechanic had notified me that I had a oil leak some where. At first word I thought it was my oil pan because I remember scraping a bump(on stock height [>_>]) but he pointed me to my camshaft. I just want some input from you guys, I mean I didn't ask him for a price or anything. He just told me that to fix it, it'll be expensive due to the fact they have to take a part a few things to get to it. I just know that the leak is starting to show its ass, because I had gotten a oil change and at 3xxx miles I'll be needed another one prolly within next week. So...Do you guys think it could possible be anything else? How much do these things usual stab the pockets? Could I possible be able to do it myself or is it best to let a mechanic do it.

P.S. I also know that one of my gaskets are leaking from under my engine cover.

Bordom
02-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Well while I was getting my coilovers installed, the mechanic had notified me that I had a oil leak some where. At first word I thought it was my oil pan because I remember scraping a bump(on stock height [>_>]) but he pointed me to my camshaft. I just want some input from you guys, I mean I didn't ask him for a price or anything. He just told me that to fix it, it'll be expensive due to the fact they have to take a part a few things to get to it. I just know that the leak is starting to show its ass, because I had gotten a oil change and at 3xxx miles I'll be needed another one prolly within next week. So...Do you guys think it could possible be anything else? How much do these things usual stab the pockets? Could I possible be able to do it myself or is it best to let a mechanic do it.

P.S. I also know that one of my gaskets are leaking from under my engine cover.
Year, make, model, engine?

Probably a cam seal/plug.

AudiBoy17
02-01-2015, 10:05 AM
I always forget to give that info, but its a A4 1999 1.8t AEB

woolveren
02-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Are you sure oil is leaking from the camshaft seals and not from the valve cover gasket? If it's really the camshaft seal leaking, then you may have to disturb the timing belt to get it replaced. If the timing belt is due, this is probably a good time to get everything done at one time.

Seerlah
02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Front or back of cylinder head?

AudiBoy17
02-01-2015, 11:19 AM
I know when I bought the car, I seen that the gasket, I believe the valve cover gasket was leaking. I'm honestly not sure what's the problem. The leak from the gasket was the only thing that I've seen from my own eyes, its a lot of maybes involved here.

Seerlah
02-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Not really. Check if the leak is at the front or rear of cylinder head. If it is the rear, it is your VC gasket or CCT gasket. If the front, then it is your cam seal.

AudiBoy17
02-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Gotcha

gmx
02-01-2015, 04:52 PM
http://funksoulkitty.org/shockypage/8engineswap/med3timingbelt2.jpg

Take off the front top timing cover.
Unplug then unbolt the cam sensor to the right of the exhaust cam gear.
Check for oil within the exposed area. It usually can pool obviously in the bottom and start making it's way down in the timing area or run along the front side/corner of the block.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac107/passout_photo/Picture001.jpg

AudiBoy17
02-02-2015, 12:48 AM
That is honest what it seems to be doing. I'll check it out tomorrow.

gtsingh91
01-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Is there a DIY on changing the cam seal? Like is there an o-ring or do you have to replace the entire housing part with the two screws?

Seerlah
01-21-2017, 07:59 AM
The housing part is the hall sender or cam position sensor. The seal is sold separate, and there is no o-ring between the hall sender and block held on by the two screws.

As for a DIY, I am pretty unorthodox in my methods. I basically wing it. But there is an Audi tool that you can use to take the old seal off and place new one on. Some will use a wood screw 180 degrees from opposing sides and just pull the old seal out that way. Then put new one in by whatever method you choose (ie unorthodox like mentioned, but you can do something like find the right sized socket and lightly tap the new seal in with a rubber mallet).

I would personally take off the valve cover, new vcg, loosen some cam caps (don't have to fully remove), and change out that way. Nice working room to clean up mating surface, can position the seal to my liking, fresh vcg, and so forth. But one thing, do try and get the seal that has the spring inside that holds the seal.