PDA

View Full Version : custom exhaust shop in SoCal

beejohn
09-10-2005, 11:36 AM
so where have you guys gone to get your custom exhaust done?

how much? good job?

i am looking for 2.75" piping from the turbo back. im thinking about either getting a test pipe and have them start from there, or it might be easy for them to just start from the turbo and add two bungs for the O2 sensors.

the tips im not too picky, just some straight dual tips around 2.5-3" in diameter is fine.

and i would also like a fat (really wide) resonator in there.

any suggestions/comments guys?

mike-2ptzero
09-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by beejohn
so where have you guys gone to get your custom exhaust done?

how much? good job?

i am looking for 2.75" piping from the turbo back. im thinking about either getting a test pipe and have them start from there, or it might be easy for them to just start from the turbo and add two bungs for the O2 sensors.

the tips im not too picky, just some straight dual tips around 2.5-3" in diameter is fine.

and i would also like a fat (really wide) resonator in there.

any suggestions/comments guys? Why 2.75", it is a size pipe that is not all that easy to find and is a bit large for a K03 or K04.

beejohn
09-10-2005, 06:14 PM
i didn't know it was an odd size piping to find. i guess to be economical i will go for 2.5" back. 2.75 was so that i could go BT later on, i guess i will hafta pay for a milltek if i want that.

its either this or wait for apr's winter sale on their exhausts

mike-2ptzero
09-10-2005, 08:02 PM
2.5" is good, unless your looking to go GT30 or larger. I ran a 2.5" with my K03 and T28 setups.

godzilla
09-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Ed Hanson's in Lemon Grove. Top notch work, great prices.

Andrew A4
09-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I've been told by many tuners that with turbo cars, you can run 3" with no problem. Backpressure is your enemy when it comes to a turbo.

I'd run minimum 2.5" with a k03. And at least 3" with anything bigger.

mike-2ptzero
09-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Andrew A4
I've been told by many tuners that with turbo cars, you can run 3" with no problem. Backpressure is your enemy when it comes to a turbo.

I'd run minimum 2.5" with a k03. And at least 3" with anything bigger.

YEs that is true with the larger turbos, but the K03 and K04 tend to like back pressure to help spool them up. Plus I dont think a K03 can move enough air to make a 2.5" exhaust a problem for flow.

BTW, there is such a thing as too big when it comes to exhaust. Exhaust gas does slow down as it cools and slows down as it expandes inside a larger pipe. This can also increase back pressure at some point in the pipe.

Andrew A4
09-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by mike-2ptzero
YEs that is true with the larger turbos, but the K03 and K04 tend to like back pressure to help spool them up. Plus I dont think a K03 can move enough air to make a 2.5" exhaust a problem for flow.

BTW, there is such a thing as too big when it comes to exhaust. Exhaust gas does slow down as it cools and slows down as it expandes inside a larger pipe. This can also increase back pressure at some point in the pipe.

I'm just going by what the tuners at Harman Motive told me as well as REVO. I'm no expert in thermodynamics, just a guy who wrenches on his own car in his spare time.