PDA

View Full Version : Blue smoke after accident.

Spectre1130
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Hey guys. I have a 5sp manual with a completely rebuilt 06A motor, overbored .5mm, Supertech forged pistons, AEB head, high flow cast turbo manifold, stock K03 turbo running 20 lbs on an APR stage 2 tune. The engine has maybe 8k miles on it, the turbo maybe around 100k. I just recently got in a slight fender bender, rear-ended someone at like 5 mph, and then I got rear-ended at like 15 mph. The guy who rear-ended me hit my exhaust and bent it. The car had no leaks, no smoke, no problems before the accident.

So I have a fair amount of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust when I start from a stop, and a tiny bit when I'm idling. I don't notice any lack of power or misfires, and the turbo sound doesn't seem to have changed. I pulled my turbo just a few moments ago to inspect it and it doesn't have much side play (5mm wiggle) and very minimal end play (about 3mm). I hand spun it and it spins just fine and doesn't appear to be contacting the edges.

Tomorrow or the next day I plan on doing a compression test but I highly doubt its rings (only 8k miles on them) and also don't think there is damage to the block or head gasket because the car doesn't feel any different.

My question is, what else could possibly be causing it? I am leaning towards the turbo still just due to its high mileage and maybe the accident was just the extra push to cause the seals to fail? My only other thought is the crash could have caused my exhaust to shift and damage an oil channel in my head making it leak?

S4NIK8
01-27-2015, 08:36 PM
There should be a little play side to side but end play (in and out) should be almost none. So if you have 3mm of it you should probably replace the turbo.

Spectre1130
01-27-2015, 08:41 PM
There should be a little play side to side but end play (in and out) should be almost none. So if you have 3mm of it you should probably replace the turbo.

Ya, that's why I was leaning toward the turbo being the culprit, but I was unsure if just the tiny bit of end play could be causing it.

You think I could just do a rebuild kit since I don't have any fin damage? They are like $40 and I've rebuilt a few K03's successfully, one of them though not so much.

S4NIK8
01-27-2015, 08:42 PM
Worth a try I suppose, not my area of expertise though as I've never tried rebuilding one.

seanf86
01-28-2015, 06:57 AM
I rebuilt my k03, don't get a shitty Chinese ebay kit for $40 spend the money and get a mellett, borgwarner or rotomaster kit, rock auto sells the rotomaster kits for $70 last I checked and has chra for $250

Spectre1130
01-28-2015, 05:03 PM
I rebuilt my k03, don't get a shitty Chinese ebay kit for $40 spend the money and get a mellett, borgwarner or rotomaster kit, rock auto sells the rotomaster kits for $70 last I checked and has chra for $250

Since I'm not 100% sure its the turbo yet I bought the ebay one (also I hadn't read your comment yet). I'm not too worried about the longevity because if I replace the seals using the cheap ones and it fixes it I can replace the seals with the higher quality ones on one of the other 2 k03's I have laying around. And if it doesn't fix it, I am not sinking $100+ into a car that I will probably just sell or part out if its a major issue. And it really only needs to last me 3 months, because then I get stationed in Japan and cant take my car with me. :(

Spectre1130
02-15-2015, 03:14 PM
So rebuilt the turbo, changed oil, and ran a compression test.

I started up my car and noted a little blue smoke still, but I expected that because I figured there would be some residual oil in the exhaust. I shut it off and immediately pulled out my spark plugs. When I pulled my spark plug out of cylinder number 2, smoke started coming out of the spark plug hole, and only that one. I ran a compression test (twice) on all cylinders (1-4)190-195-185-190 with cylinder 2 having the highest compression by a little and 3 having the lowest by a little, but these variations of 5 psig aren't enough to say anything I wouldn't think. I put it back together and drove it a half mile until it warmed back up to operating temperature. I parked it and noticed no blue smoke when idling, but when I would rev it up to 2000 RPM or so I would get a puff of blue smoke.

Any ideas?

S4NIK8
02-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Drive it more, if there is residual oil in the exhaust 1-2 heat cycles aren't going to be enough to burn it off. Drive it around for a while (a couple hours) and see if it's getting better or not.

Spectre1130
02-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Drive it more, if there is residual oil in the exhaust 1-2 heat cycles aren't going to be enough to burn it off. Drive it around for a while (a couple hours) and see if it's getting better or not.

Okay I figured the residual wasnt burnt off, but the thing that worried me was when I pulled the #2 spark plug and blue smoke started coming out, like oil had been in that cylinder.