PDA

View Full Version : Manual Facelift Shifter Swapped in Manual Prefacelift A4?

Ryanic
01-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Okay so I could have sworn! I found a DIY or an article explaining about this process an year+ ago... But I can not for the life of me remember where or even dig one up through searching.

So my issue is I have a prefacelift 1998 A4 Manual. The shifter ball is getting worn and such and I'm getting a lot of slop (I know some of my issue may be in the shifter linkage). I have a very nice tight facelift shifter and linkage from a parts car I had. I'm going to just swap out the shifter part to start with and I'll swap out the linkage when it's warmer and I have time to crawl under the car etc. BUT my question is, since prefacelift has the push down reverse lock out and the facelift does not (Right?) is it possible to do a direct swap from prefacelift shifter to facelift? Like can I just unbolt my prefacelift shifter from my center console/linkage and then directly swap in my facelift shifter into my center console/linkage? I thought when I found that article before there was a way to do it but you had to like pull the reverse lock out parts or something from the preface and retrofit them onto the facelift one... Idk Someone help me out.

Thanks

MetalMan
01-27-2015, 05:05 PM
Here's what I did:

Had a 1998.5 A4 1.8T FWD, with JHM linkage upgrade and JHM short shifter (which uses the facelift shifter mechanism).
Then I bought a 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro to replace the older A4. I swapped the linkages and shifter assemblies between the 2 cars with zero issues.

Short answer: in my experience yes you should be able to directly swap the shifter and linkage from a facelift into your '98. (though if it's a '98.0 I can't verify)

walky_talky20
01-28-2015, 05:40 AM
The reverse lockout is all within that shifter plate assembly. So you can just directly swap it, and by so doing you will have removed the lock-out "feature".

Ryanic
01-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Is the "lockout" feature really necessary?

Even if it's not, is it possible to swap the shifter plate assemblies over too?

And I have a 1998.5 I forgot to say that.

MetalMan
01-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Is the "lockout" feature really necessary?

Even if it's not, is it possible to swap the shifter plate assemblies over too?

And I have a 1998.5 I forgot to say that.

Is it necessary to you? I drove my '98.5 for a couple years without the reverse lockout, and all facelift B5's don't have reverse lockout in the shift. (I've driven my facelift B5 for 1.5 years as well) Personally I don't need reverse lockout, and never had an issue.
If you go with a facelift shifter, you cannot have reverse lockout. The entire facelift assembly is different than pre-facelift.