PDA

View Full Version : Gt28r turbo doesent spool at idle

audi_a4_turbo
01-26-2015, 02:28 PM
I have an atw b5, atp turbo kit,maf, toke my intake apart, nothing's hooked, no maf, no pcv, no dv and evap, The turbo won't spin at idle, is that normal, I can spin it with my hand, when I drive I fully got boost, u can hear the turbo spool and the wastegate open up

redline380
01-26-2015, 02:39 PM
You are going to get flamed. Better put on your suit....

No, everything is fine.

Seerlah
01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Hmmm, did you try it in reverse?

You won't get the turbo to spool at idle. Wheels will spin, but not enough to build boost. You need load which requires more fuel and air, which creates more exhaust volume that will turn the wheels to create boost. Has to do with the ECU mapping. Your car will basically act like a 1.8L NA motor till you have load.

audi_a4_turbo
01-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Really, ok good, my intake has bee leaking oil, I was worried that my oil seals in the turbo were no good, just got an oil catch can, hopefully it will prevent my oil problem, should I plump it the oil catch can back to my intake or leave it venting to the atmosphere with a filter? the other day I tried venting the pcv hose, but wen I would put on the heat, strong fumes would come in the cab

Seerlah
01-26-2015, 02:53 PM
It's really up to you. I don't run a catch can. I have 2 -10AN lines dumping to under the car. One from the crank case and the other from the valve cover. Everything else ripped out. Only time I get a smell is on hot summer days stationary. Even then, it is coming from the underside of the car into the window when it is rolled down (routed my dump basically right were I sit). No smell with windows rolled up or A/C on.

redline380
01-26-2015, 03:00 PM
If you are going to vent, have a hose go below the cabin and past anywhere it could get sucked up. Or route it to the exhaust

ray4624
01-26-2015, 03:22 PM
It's really up to you. I don't run a catch can. I have 2 -10AN lines dumping to under the car. One from the crank case and the other from the valve cover. Everything else ripped out. Only time I get a smell is on hot summer days stationary. Even then, it is coming from the underside of the car into the window when it is rolled down (routed my dump basically right were I sit). No smell with windows rolled up or A/C on.

x2 to all of this
i only have 1 line as my car is an AEB and doesnt have the port at the valve cover

GrapeBandit
01-26-2015, 03:27 PM
x2 to all of this
i only have 1 line as my car is an AEB and doesnt have the port at the valve cover
x3 lol. but im about to vent my AGN vc because I think I have some pressure building up, my vc is slightly wet around the exhaust side(mind you, its the only leak from my engine compartment[evilsmile]). going to throw a new vc gasket and half moon pieces along with a new vent tube. bet it wont leak anymore [:D]

ray4624
01-26-2015, 03:36 PM
im jealous.
My car leaks oil from everywhere...thats all going to change this spring

A1 A2 German
01-26-2015, 05:18 PM
[confused]

As in doesn't spin or move at all at idle?

Uh, you guys believe that to be normal? Not arguing, but I've never EVER heard or seen a 100% motionless turbo. Are we talking the same thing here? Or are you saying, "Doesn't produce boost till ~3,500 rpm..", "Doesn't spool up till ~3,000 rpm..."?

I've never seen or heard of a 100% static turbo at idle.

Seerlah
01-26-2015, 05:20 PM
I didn't even pay no mind to that, though did read it. If he has boost, then the wheels are spinning at idle. Figured he worded what he was trying to say incorrectly, or something of that nature. Even mentioned in my reply that the wheels will spin at idle, but not enough to build boost.

GrapeBandit
01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
im jealous.
My car leaks oil from everywhere...thats all going to change this spring
lol. get that engine bay dry, keep the wet fo the females lol

[confused]

Uh, you guys believe that to be normal? Not arguing, but I've never EVER heard or seen a 100% motionless turbo. Are we talking the same thing here? Or are you saying, "Doesn't produce boost till ~3,500 rpm..", "Doesn't spool up till ~3,000 rpm..."?

i was thinking the same thing. is it spinning at idle, or completely motionless.

FWIW, my turbo is motionless when the key is turned off[:d]

redline380
01-26-2015, 05:21 PM
[confused]

I highly doubt that is the case. He said he can spin it with his fingers, so it will definitely spin at idle. I'm guessing he just worded it wrong

audi_a4_turbo
01-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Naw man, I can see the turbine struggling to spin, I can spin it by hand, but it doesent keep spinning on its own, mind you, it's a small turbo gt28r compared to gt35 that keeps spinning after I nice spin by hand

melomandn
01-26-2015, 05:59 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/112636-mark-wahlberg-confused-speechl-xFdS.gif

redline380
01-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Naw man, I can see the turbine struggling to spin, I can spin it by hand, but it doesent keep spinning on its own, mind you, it's a small turbo gt28r compared to gt35 that keeps spinning after I nice spin by hand

Take a video of the compressor wheel while the car is idling. The wheel should spin pretty free, but as a comparison k03's hardly spin by hand to something like my 2871. That spins very well.

audi_a4_turbo
01-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Shit sorry guys, meant to say gt28r doesent spin at idle, started this thread in a rush, ya man, it's sappose to spin when it idles right, like I said I see it struggle, if I spin it by hand it helps it a lil, but shouldn't it do it on its own?

redline380
01-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Shit sorry guys, meant to say gt28r doesent spin at idle, started this thread in a rush, ya man, it's sappose to spin when it idles right, like I said I see it struggle, if I spin it by hand it helps it a lil, but shouldn't it do it on its own?

Let me get this straight. With the engine idling, you get the intake boot off and see the compressor wheel stationary, and then stick your finger in there and have verified the compressor wheel is not spinning at idle?

Corrado_Guy
01-26-2015, 06:40 PM
No turbo will create boost at idle but it should be spinning faster than your eyes can see. If you have a boost gauge (which you should) you should see 16 - 21 inches of vacuum and and as you start to open the throttle it should go up to 0 pretty quickly and then it will start to boost. When you have it full to the floor your boost should peak and pretty much hold the boost for the entire gear. I run a GT28RS as well as it will hold a pretty constant boost of 21 psi with little drop off. Your first step should be to figure out how you are going to vent it and then make sure the entire intake is sealed properly. Once you get the intake sealed then do a vacuum/boost test and see how the car is boosting. Before trouble shooting any issues you have to have the mechanicals sorted and then you can look at specific issues. Intake leaks are a mechanical issue so take care of that first and then do some basic tests on the turbo. The turbo should freeride pretty easily so there may be an issue in the bearings, how does it feel when it spins. Rough or smooth?

The GT28 series turbo is a large frame turbo which makes decent power and has less of a punch which is good and bad. The turbo you have is good for around 350 hp so it is no slouch by any means. It makes good power for a standard road car and when you stomp on it you don't get that initial punch which can damage worn parts. If you are pushing much more than 18 psi out of this tune then you should also do the rods on your motor.

Seerlah
01-26-2015, 06:57 PM
If your wheels aren't turning you have a problem. But if you are able to boost, then you really need to find out what is going on. The wheel will turn faster as it gets hotter with the oil. When I shut my car off, my wheel still spins for a decent amount of time off momentum before coming to a complete stop (never checked visually, but can hear it when I turn my engine off).

Is it that it does not spin when fluids are cold? Does it spin if oil and turbo are hot? Any strange noises? Exhaust leak? Does it spin freely when you manually spin it (ie does not feel getting caught on housing)?

Also wanted to note, I'm not a big Garrett fan.

A1 A2 German
01-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Ding ding ding, I guessed right, what do I win?

Man, I'd like to see a video of that.

Royal769sr
01-27-2015, 09:44 AM
I have seen that, unfortunately, but it was after putting the old housing on a new chra... guess it was cooked a little so I had to take a dremle to it an create a little clearence. but I did not try and boost in that situation.