PDA

View Full Version : Installed S4 seats - now I want to sell my car.

iamshayan
01-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Hi guys,

Just installed s4 seats in my car, I was so excited to finally have power seats and some nice comfy leathers with big bolsters.

--But now that they are in, I cant stand them.

They are the most awkward thing in the world, I can't find a comfortable position to drive from. The seats themselves are comfortable but the positioning is all wrong compared to my a4 seats.

I have to wedge my thigh between the steering wheel and the seat to get into the car and my head is just under half an inch from the roof. If I lean forward I can rest my head on the edge of the sunroof while keeping my bottom flat.
The worst part is that my knees hit the wheel when I try to use the pedals.

I'm not overly large either, about 175lbs @ 6ft.

I would have swapped back to my stockers and sold these already - but I had to cut out the bracket in order to fit them.

I welded half inch plates to the floor for the front mounting points, is this where I went wrong?

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I dont know what to do. This is such a shitty situation. Help plz.

redline380
01-20-2015, 08:57 PM
Give it time. I learned to love mine. But if you still don't like them, remember you could always swap to electric A4 seats. Or just go aftermarket.

Mad Cow
01-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Half inch seems excessive, the stock plates are around 1/4". I'm 5'11 and have love my seats, the driver's side does seem to sit too high but I think there's something jammed in the mechanism since the passenger side goes lower. Try raising just the front of the seat bottom a bit with the back all the way down.

Gumby
01-21-2015, 12:05 AM
I had similar problems when I swapped to s4 seats. I'm the same size as you, 170lbs, and 6' tall.

I disassembled my seat bottoms, and shaved about a half inch off the bottom of the seat foam for a little extra headroom. it helped a little bit, but I've always been happiest with racing seats on sliders in both my cars. They're the only thing that gives me the support I want, and doesn't put me a half inch from the roof.

Fink_tha_Audi
01-21-2015, 04:26 AM
I've noticed this too. I been in my buddy's S4 and the seat themselves are comfy but like you said they just sit too high. Thats why I havent done the mod. Even with the seat all the way down they dont go lower than the manual a4 seats.

walky_talky20
01-21-2015, 05:35 AM
Yeah, manual seats can GIT LOW.

This thread makes me hesitant to bolt in the S4 seats I have. Perhaps I need to look at the mechanism to see if MOAR LOW can be obtained before install?

Cgoon009
01-21-2015, 06:11 AM
im 6 feet tall as well, and my car came with the s4 package sans the napa, I fit no problem. I do have the seat farther back then most, but I find if you drop the rear all the way, and raise the front of the seat up, and an angle, that helps. I love the S4 seats I have, the wagon I also have does not have them, and I hate it. So much so, that im swapping them in.

walky_talky20
01-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Do you have a pic of the "sans the napa" seats? Color me intrigued.

GrapeBandit
01-21-2015, 06:31 AM
sport cloths FTW[:D], for multiple reasons[up]

iamshayan
01-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Give it time. I learned to love mine. But if you still don't like them, remember you could always swap to electric A4 seats. Or just go aftermarket.
Yeah, I want to be optimistic but realistically I can't see this working. a/market seats might be my best bet at this point

Half inch seems excessive, the stock plates are around 1/4". I'm 5'11 and have love my seats, the driver's side does seem to sit too high but I think there's something jammed in the mechanism since the passenger side goes lower. Try raising just the front of the seat bottom a bit with the back all the way down.

please elaborate on 'stock plates'. If you are unfamiliar with fitting S4 seats in an A4, you must cut out the center braket and weld some sort of fastener to the frame, I folllowed this diy here (http://forums.quattroworld.com/a4/msgs/88210.phtml)
I thought there was something 'jammed' in my mechanism too as the drivers side does sit higher than the passenger but haven't looked into it. I've tried every adjustment to no avail.

I had similar problems when I swapped to s4 seats. I'm the same size as you, 170lbs, and 6' tall.

I disassembled my seat bottoms, and shaved about a half inch off the bottom of the seat foam for a little extra headroom. it helped a little bit, but I've always been happiest with racing seats on sliders in both my cars. They're the only thing that gives me the support I want, and doesn't put me a half inch from the roof.
is the seat bottom easy to remove? any tips tricks? more info please sir.

I've noticed this too. I been in my buddy's S4 and the seat themselves are comfy but like you said they just sit too high. Thats why I havent done the mod. Even with the seat all the way down they dont go lower than the manual a4 seats.
:( wish I read this thread before I installed mine. lol

Yeah, manual seats can GIT LOW.

This thread makes me hesitant to bolt in the S4 seats I have. Perhaps I need to look at the mechanism to see if MOAR LOW can be obtained before install?

I'd hold off.

Mad Cow
01-21-2015, 06:46 AM
please elaborate on 'stock plates'. If you are unfamiliar with fitting S4 seats in an A4, you must cut out the center braket and weld some sort of fastener to the frame, I folllowed this diy here (http://forums.quattroworld.com/a4/msgs/88210.phtml)
I thought there was something 'jammed' in my mechanism too as the drivers side does sit higher than the passenger but haven't looked into it. I've tried every adjustment to no avail.

From the factory power seat B5s come with a plate welded to that point like the DIY did, but if the pictured plates are 1/4" then stock is even thinner, maybe half that.

Cgoon009
01-21-2015, 06:50 AM

Let me look, but the car is the 2.8 sport package. So it got the S4 trimmings, minus the Napa leather and the 2.7 lol. I personally love the grain of the leather they used however.

iamshayan
01-21-2015, 06:58 AM
From the factory power seat B5s come with a plate welded to that point like the DIY did, but if the pictured plates are 1/4" then stock is even thinner, maybe half that.

interesting I never knew this.

Mr.Audi
01-21-2015, 07:04 AM
any pics of the installs or seat bottoms??

I was on the verge of buying a pair of seats, but holding off until I get more info as Iam 6'3 200lbs and don't wanna be fucked if I put them in

LA4
01-21-2015, 07:58 AM
sport cloths FTW[:D], for multiple reasons[up]

cloth > leather

every day of the week. warmer in winter, cooler in summer, grips you better year-round.

If there's one thing I want to find in the junkyard...

pbcrazy
01-21-2015, 08:08 AM
I was on the verge of buying a pair of seats, but holding off until I get more info as Iam 6'3 200lbs and don't wanna be fucked if I put them in

I'm 6'2" and my head touched the ceiling last time I was in a s4. I would wait until you atleast sit in a b5 s4.

Mr.Audi
01-21-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm 6'2" and my head touched the ceiling last time I was in a s4. I would wait until you atleast sit in a b5 s4.

ive been in a few b5 s4's, never driving, but my head was not close to the roof on the pass side as everyone has said about the drivers side/position

walky_talky20
01-21-2015, 08:43 AM
ive been in a few b5 s4's, never driving, but my head was not close to the roof on the pass side as everyone has said about the drivers side/position

<<Insert joke about S4 drivers having something stuck up their butt that causes this phenomenon only on the driver's side>>

redline380
01-21-2015, 08:46 AM
<<Insert joke about S4 drivers having something stuck up their butt that causes this phenomenon only on the driver's side>>

The lolz, Walky.

I am kind of a small guy, 5' 10", 140lbs. It took me a bit, but the I got used to the seats. I like my seat as low as it will go, and close enough to keep me less than a foot away from the wheel. The S4 seat goes low enough in the rear for me, but the front doesn't go as low, which is what I think you guys are talking about. Its almost like sitting in a recliner. But I got used to it.

Mad Cow
01-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Let me look, but the car is the 2.8 sport package. So it got the S4 trimmings, minus the Napa leather and the 2.7 lol. I personally love the grain of the leather they used however.

I have the same seats too, the PO didn't even know they were something special when I mentioned it. It's an option on top of the sport package, fairly rare to find. Are you sure S4's have Nappa leather though? I've seen a few and they looked exactly the same as mine apart from alcantara.

@redline: That's exactly how I sit, takes a bit of getting used to but it's fine when you do. It's a bit annoying that the top of my head sometimes brushes against the headliner when I turn around to look back, but I live with it.

GrapeBandit
01-21-2015, 12:35 PM
cloth > leather

every day of the week. warmer in winter, cooler in summer, grips you better year-round.

If there's one thing I want to find in the junkyard...
and the sport cloths dont rip/tear or get old looking over time like leather, not any that I ever saw

nynoah
01-21-2015, 12:42 PM
I am 6 foot 200 and I don't mind my S4 seats. Yes they are higher, but I got use to it.

Mad Cow
01-21-2015, 01:01 PM
and the sport cloths dont rip/tear or get old looking over time like leather, not any that I ever saw

I'd say it's the opposite, the leather used in sport seats is really thick, much tougher than any cloth. It's not the same stuff as regular B5 leather seats. I've never seen a set of sport cloths in person that looked less worn than my leathers, and mine are basically average in terms of wear.

pbcrazy
01-21-2015, 01:10 PM
I'd say it's the opposite, the leather used in sport seats is really thick, much tougher than any cloth. It's not the same stuff as regular B5 leather seats. I've never seen a set of sport cloths in person that looked less worn than my leathers, and mine are basically average in terms of wear.

But leather does tend to get creases in it which shows it age more than cloth. I actually have leatherette and love it, looks like leather to most people, is comfortable, and doesn't show any creases or wear.

BaseDrifter
01-21-2015, 01:15 PM
I've never seen a set of sport cloths in person that looked less worn than my leathers, and mine are basically average in terms of wear.
How about mine (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/blkA4alb-2/A4%20B5/DSC05898_zps0e15da43.jpg)? :P

And yes, you did qualify that with "in person", so pictures probably don't count.

Cgoon009
01-21-2015, 02:58 PM

I have the same seats too, the PO didn't even know they were something special when I mentioned it. It's an option on top of the sport package, fairly rare to find. Are you sure S4's have Nappa leather though? I've seen a few and they looked exactly the same as mine apart from alcantara.

@redline: That's exactly how I sit, takes a bit of getting used to but it's fine when you do. It's a bit annoying that the top of my head sometimes brushes against the headliner when I turn around to look back, but I live with it.

So this is what my interior looks like. Im not 100% on the S4 being Napa, but I know that the leather they use is different from what the 2.8 got.

https://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/p1010031.jpg

https://cleanaudidotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/p1010032.jpg

walky_talky20
01-21-2015, 03:21 PM
ETKA says S4 is "silk nappa leather".

A4 is "buffalino lap seam".

ray4624
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
i love my sport cloths.

Also, OP, that b6 was mean. Gave me alot of ideas for my 2871 elim [up]

Corrado_Guy
01-21-2015, 06:46 PM
I have the cloth sport seats and then go as low as the A4 seats but mine are all manual which is probably the difference. The cloth sport seats have the same bolsters so it must be the motors that keep them so high. I am 6' an I can get my fist sideways between the sunroof lip and my head. Cloth do not wear as well as leather and they can stain and rip but much better in all other situations. I would try selling them or trade someone with cloth and then dump them.

Turbo_B5
01-21-2015, 06:59 PM

http://i.imgur.com/VW9mUTA.jpg

GrapeBandit
01-21-2015, 08:13 PM
^thats one seat. do you know how many sprot cloths that are 15+yrs old that look better than some 3yr old leathers? idc about one pic lol.

iamshayan
01-21-2015, 09:08 PM
glad to see this continuing on track.

MetalMan
01-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Guess I won't be swapping to S4 seats... I'm 6' 3" 175-180 lbs, and drive with the seat all the way down and tilted forward. Can just about get my fingers between my head and headliner.

Several years ago I had a major surgery for a pilonidal cyst, and as a result it took about 6 months for most of a full recovery. Anywhere I went I needed to sit on an inflatable donut just to be comfortable, which included my A4. During those days I drove with my head under the sunroof slider lol.

crazexr7
01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
I'm 5'6" and I even drive with my a4 seats all the way lowered. Being any higher would annoy the crap out of me.

zandrew
01-22-2015, 09:42 AM
Wait, the seats have elevation adjustment??? Where the fu*k have I been?!?!

I am going to swap my driver for something like a Corbeau since the rest are perfect. I would also like something with more side hold. All the roads are like the cork screw at Laguna Seca and I am sliding around constantly.

redline380
01-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Wait, the seats have elevation adjustment??? Where the fu*k have I been?!?!

I am going to swap my driver for something like a Corbeau since the rest are perfect. I would also like something with more side hold. All the roads are like the cork screw at Laguna Seca and I am sliding around constantly.

I'm going aftermarket eventually as well. Driver and passenger, and take out the rear seats.

Seerlah
01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I rode in Cgoon009's car and those seats are damn comfortable. But with that being said, I always knew about the height issue and one reason I never pursued to swap them in. And the stock pleather 1.8T seats surprisingly did not bother me during or after long road trips (ie NY to Mytrle Beach and back).

JJ.
01-22-2015, 10:57 PM
That's why the S4 seats are feeling different than those in my A4 [>_<]

RyanMedina
01-25-2015, 10:48 AM
I certainly sit much higher with the S4 seat, but it doesn't bother me at all, and I kinda like it actually. The swap was worth it to me.