PDA

View Full Version : Airbag Retrofit?

Johns
01-13-2015, 09:32 AM
I have the opportunity to purchase a newer flat bottom steering wheel (I believe it's from a MKII TT). However, it does not come with the airbag and horn assembly, only the cover. So I was wondering if it was possible to retrofit the airbag/horn from a B5 three spoke wheel into the TT wheel. I'm doubtful due to the difference in shape of their centers but I figured I might as well ask.

Mad Cow
01-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Take a look at a TT wheel with airbag, now look at a b5 wheel with airbag. If you can't see that they're clearly nothing alike you need to get your vision checked.

GrapeBandit
01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
it doesnt fit. pass, its ugly anyways

Corrado_Guy
01-13-2015, 08:27 PM
I think the splines are correct and the wheel will physically fit but the spiral cable will be different and the TT would be a CAN car so the switches would not work without some tweaking. I think you could make it work though if you are a fan of that shape of a wheel. I actually really like the stock sport wheel and I don't think I would replace it personally. It is fat and the spokes are in the right place and it is a good diameter. I can grab it all around and it fits with the car. People have done this swap so if they don't chime in the search Google and you should come up with a bunch of threads. Personally I think the money is better spend elsewhere but if you like these wheels then you can make it work.