PDA

View Full Version : Testing a used cluster for bad lcd?

wolfe2118
01-11-2015, 09:13 AM
I have a used cluster from a 01 and I want to test it first to see the mileage and to check to make sure it has all it's pixels so I don't rip anyone off when I sell it as a complete swap. I have the wire harness, and turn signal stalk also with its wire harness. I have the pinout but I don't want to just go connecting power and mess up a potentially good cluster. I know the easiest way would be to plug it into another car, but mine is a 99 and I don't want to start splicing into my car.

bhusted
01-11-2015, 08:41 PM
I have a spreadsheet I created referenceing the pins to move and making an adapter harness. My car is a 99.5, so yours may be a little different. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mad Cow
01-11-2015, 09:16 PM
I have a spreadsheet I created referenceing the pins to move and making an adapter harness. My car is a 99.5, so yours may be a little different. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Just to add on, the important power and ground pins are the same between 99.5 and '01 clusters. I made a bench test harness and it works on both, only difference is the kline pin which doesn't apply to you.

wolfe2118
01-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I got what I needed by applying 12V+ to the black wire coming out of the blue plug and grounding the solid brown wires. I just used a 12VDC laptop power supply. With those connections, the LCD lit up as did the odometer.