PDA

View Full Version : Tax Time=Lowering time.

xthealienatorx
01-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Hey all, I've been wanting to lower my car a little bit for about a year or more. I don't want too low because some spots I have issues now, but with these 18's it just needs to look a bit lower, maybe a inch. Coils are the way I'd like to go, so I can play with it just for fun or for shows and stuff. So, what to go with? St's are the first thought, but I'd like to stay around 500, so I was thinking solo works, they have decent reviews and a Okay price, and better than Racelands, which are also an option I'd like to avoid.
So, I just searched b5 coils and came up with fk, any good? Right now they are on sale for $200 a set (usd) and $47 shipping? What do you all think?

demonmk2
01-09-2015, 06:38 PM
get the st's for the extra money.

xthealienatorx
01-09-2015, 06:44 PM
St's are what I want, but if fk's are good, they're 250 shipped new.

Halfrican
01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
You get what you pay for.

Turbo_B5
01-09-2015, 07:39 PM
I LOVE my STs.

GrapeBandit
01-09-2015, 08:48 PM
idk about FK, but who the hell is selling them for $250[:D]

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Fk them selves. http://www.fk-shop.de/en/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-Audi-A4-Limo-Avant-Typ-B5-Yr-1994-1999.html?cur=3&filterVehicle+Manufacturer=Audi&verbose=true&catalog=true&searchparam=%2A&fnc=ajaxListLoader&cnid=9ea6d66418df7b1cb497f96cd449409d

demonmk2
01-10-2015, 04:11 AM
for some reason I wanna say they had corrosion issues.

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 04:12 AM
I'm going to put sleeves over whatever coils I get to help prevent that.

B5A4coastie
01-10-2015, 05:54 AM
There's racelands, vmaxx and STs for sale on Vortex right now.

seanf86
01-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Fk them selves. http://www.fk-shop.de/en/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-Audi-A4-Limo-Avant-Typ-B5-Yr-1994-1999.html?cur=3&filterVehicle+Manufacturer=Audi&verbose=true&catalog=true&searchparam=%2A&fnc=ajaxListLoader&cnid=9ea6d66418df7b1cb497f96cd449409d

those are for fwd

these are the quattro ones
http://www.fk-shop.de/en/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-Audi-A4-quattro-Typ-B5-Yr-1994-1999.html?cur=3&filterVehicle+Model=A4+%28B5%2F8D%29&filterVehicle+Manufacturer=Audi&verbose=true&catalog=true&searchparam=%2A&fnc=ajaxListLoader&cnid=9ea6d66418df7b1cb497f96cd449409d

Bordom
01-10-2015, 08:42 AM
those are for fwd

these are the quattro ones
http://www.fk-shop.de/en/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-Audi-A4-quattro-Typ-B5-Yr-1994-1999.html?cur=3&filterVehicle+Model=A4+%28B5%2F8D%29&filterVehicle+Manufacturer=Audi&verbose=true&catalog=true&searchparam=%2A&fnc=ajaxListLoader&cnid=9ea6d66418df7b1cb497f96cd449409d

Ofc, Quattro always comes with a hefty tag and almost double the cost of any FWD

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 08:56 AM
There's racelands, vmaxx and STs for sale on Vortex right now.
I searched for St's yesterday, do you have a link?

B5A4coastie
01-10-2015, 09:57 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7091168-ST-coilovers-for-sale-only-300-miles-on-them&highlight=coilovers

Search Coilovers

ray4624
01-10-2015, 10:11 AM
lol that guy wants what i paid for mine new.

i would definitely recommend the STs...i would say vogtlands over ST but those are a bit more money.
Not a fan of FKs..my friend had them in his jetta and they rode much worse them me STs. The fk ride very similar to racelands.

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
lol that guy wants what i paid for mine new.

Thats kinda what i was thinking...

RalleyTuned
01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm doing some shopping as well, really debating FK's vs. ST's. I have ST's on my mk1 rabbit and I really like them but not sure I have the extra 300 to spend on the ST's.

Anyone running the FK AK's that is NOT slammed? I am after the same thing, looking for 1-1.5" lower for summer with the ability to raise it back up in the winter time. I know either will fit the requirement, but so far everyone that I have read about hating their FK's runs the car as low as they can spin the coils, so they will obviously ride terribly...

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm doing some shopping as well, really debating FK's vs. ST's. I have ST's on my mk1 rabbit and I really like them but not sure I have the extra 300 to spend on the ST's.

Anyone running the FK AK's that is NOT slammed? I am after the same thing, looking for 1-1.5" lower for summer with the ability to raise it back up in the winter time. I know either will fit the requirement, but so far everyone that I have read about hating their FK's runs the car as low as they can spin the coils, so they will obviously ride terribly...

I'm also throwing solowerks in the equation. I haven't heard much bad about them. But I as well would like some other opinions.

LINDW4LL
01-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Go ST.

The $$ difference is pretty small, and all of these are cheap already. You might as well buy a set that has consistent positive feedback and is built by an extremely reputable manufacturer (KW Suspensions).

Also, when reading reviews for Racelands and Solowerks, keep in mind the type of person that's buying a $200 coilover kit. They don't exactly have high expectations, to say the least. Most are kids who just want to be slammed for close to nothing.

xthealienatorx
01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10195974

NEW!!! Solo Werks Coilovers B5 A4Q & S4 for $499 Shipped* @ EuroCollective

Sooo.... any B5 reviews yet?<br />
<br />
[url]http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/609992-NEW!!!-Solo-Werks-Coilovers-B5-S4-for-499-S......

chris@fifteen52
01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
The STs are worth the extra and they will last and still ride great. PM me for a deal on the STs.

B5A4coastie
01-10-2015, 08:15 PM
My best understanding of the Solowerks S1 is a stiff, but adjustable height. STs/V1s are a bit better, Vogtlands are the next step, H&Rs, then V2's, V3's.

RalleyTuned
01-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Vogtland is the same as ST, at least they come from the same manufacturer, just FYI

V1's ARE ST's and basically the same as vogtland.

The solowerks reviews I have seen mirror the FK's, but again, all posted by people removing helper springs to go lower...

LINDW4LL
01-10-2015, 09:41 PM
V1's ARE ST's and basically the same as vogtland.
You are on the right track.

ST is owned by KW. The ST coilovers are made in Germany by KW, and are essentially a KW Variant 1 with a galvanized steel shock body as opposed to stainless on the V1.

Vogtland coilovers utilize KW-sourced dampers/shocks but other components differ. I'm a big fan of the Vogtland GT3 since the stiffer rear springs help to minimize understeer.

RalleyTuned
01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Aren't the gt3's a progressive rear springs though? Thats the description I read just wondering why they are $100 more for different springs in the rear haha

LINDW4LL
01-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Aren't the gt3's a progressive rear springs though? Thats the description I read just wondering why they are $100 more for different springs in the rear haha
Well, they are a special make up product for Achtuning (they're the exclusive seller of the GT3s), so they can charge more since they're the only ones selling them. The valving in the dampers is also changed to accompany the stiffer springs.

On top of that, you're getting a better performing product when compared to the standard Vogtlands, so they can charge a bit more. To me it's worth it to spend an extra $100 initially rather than sourcing stiffer springs after the fact for $150+.

And yes, they are progressive. 675 lbs/in normally, 760lbs/in when compressed. The STs and most other kits have progressive springs as well.

A4ski
01-11-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP here, and after looking through all the options mentioned in this thread, I'm probably going ST for a number of reasons: One of only two of the contenders that even MAKES them for an 01 FWD, and I'm NOT buying $250 coilovers. They have to be made of cheese for that price. Heard nothing but good reviews, and they're about in the middle of the price range. Buy nice or buy twice!

B5A4coastie
01-11-2015, 07:16 AM
ST is owned by KW. The ST coilovers are made in Germany by KW, and are essentially a KW Variant 1 with a galvanized steel shock body as opposed to stainless on the V1.

I knew that, I'm not sure why I put V1's higher on the list... I'll edit that.

MrSnickelsnizer
01-11-2015, 09:18 AM
I have the solowerk coilovers and have yet to post my review on their s4 thread on here, because I am still testing them and finding what works well and what does not.
Be that as it is I would say for the money they are well worth it. The rears are a little stiffer than the front, in my opinion, but they ride just fine. I also am not super low nor is the vast majority that are running these. I do not understand where you guys are gathering your information.
They are galvanized, that's a plus. They are coilovers, that's a plus. Eurocollective who I purchased them from is super quick to personal emails, that's a plus. They offered me a rebate, that's a plus. They ride really well, that's a plus.
Are they the best, no way. Are they pretty damn good, yes. Are they getting a bad rep on this thread, yup.

B5A4coastie
01-11-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't believe anyone here are bashing Solowerks, it's not like they're Racelands.

codyturner
01-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Fk them selves.

Since noone did, I'll just take it upon myself to add this: lool

R490
01-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Racelands are pretty cheap, The ride quality is a little bit meh but otherwise their fine. They were knocking like crazy for the first month or so. But after that they took it easy a bit.

RalleyTuned
01-11-2015, 06:47 PM
The STs and most other kits have progressive springs as well.

Are you certain on that? When I bought my ST's for my mk1 I spoke directly to an engineer at KW about different rates, all listed rates are linear rated springs for all the ST's according to him. Also all published info on them as well as the kw's list a single rate for springs for a specific application. Also in my experience tuning vw's over the past 10 years, not a single coilover offers progressive rated springs with their systems, they are always linear rates when listed in spec sheets. I'm not arguing, I just want to know where you are getting the info, as it is opposite what I have been told by manufacturers in the past and read on spec sheets etc.

As to the person asking where I was getting info on solowerks, I simply google b5 a4 solowerks review. This brought up many threads, with a lot of negative comments about poor ride quality. Again though I do want to stress that in nearly every case, the person that complained about ride height also spoke about removing helpers to lower more, or being at the lowest height allowed by either the coils or their wheel/tire combo. I am not bashing them at all, just simply asking for a review from someone who does not have the car slammed and complaining about ride quality...

GrapeBandit
01-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Vogtland coilovers utilize KW-sourced dampers/shocks but other components differ. I'm a big fan of the Vogtland GT3 since the stiffer rear springs help to minimize understeer.
KW sourced dampers? who doesnt use "KW sourced dampers"? KW uses koni inserts, but just because another company uses koni inserts, doesnt mean they use the right damper and spring combo[headbang]. vogtland is not on par with KW V2/V3. I have ridden in vogtland, and KW v2/V3 cars and I can say they are not the same. I have KW V2 BTW

ray4624
01-11-2015, 07:00 PM
Are you certain on that? When I bought my ST's for my mk1 I spoke directly to an engineer at KW about different rates, all listed rates are linear rated springs for all the ST's according to him. Also all published info on them as well as the kw's list a single rate for springs for a specific application. Also in my experience tuning vw's over the past 10 years, not a single coilover offers progressive rated springs with their systems, they are always linear rates when listed in spec sheets. I'm not arguing, I just want to know where you are getting the info, as it is opposite what I have been told by manufacturers in the past and read on spec sheets etc.

As to the person asking where I was getting info on solowerks, I simply google b5 a4 solowerks review. This brought up many threads, with a lot of negative comments about poor ride quality. Again though I do want to stress that in nearly every case, the person that complained about ride height also spoke about removing helpers to lower more, or being at the lowest height allowed by either the coils or their wheel/tire combo. I am not bashing them at all, just simply asking for a review from someone who does not have the car slammed and complaining about ride quality...

Old st were static. Post 2012ish they are progressive. You can just tell by looking at them that the rears are progressive. Fronts are stilll static

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LINDW4LL
01-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Are you certain on that? When I bought my ST's for my mk1 I spoke directly to an engineer at KW about different rates, all listed rates are linear rated springs for all the ST's according to him. Also all published info on them as well as the kw's list a single rate for springs for a specific application. Also in my experience tuning vw's over the past 10 years, not a single coilover offers progressive rated springs with their systems, they are always linear rates when listed in spec sheets.
I'm speaking to the B5 kits, specifically. The Vogtlands, KWs, STs, and Racelands all list progressive rear spring rates, but linear front spring rates on the spec sheets.

PS: I just quickly Googled some KW coilovers for other Audi/VW platforms, and it's quite obvious that they do use progressive springs in a variety of applications. At least that's what they publish.

GrapeBandit
01-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Old st were static. Post 2012ish they are progressive. You can just tell by looking at them that the rears are progressive. Fronts are stilll static

all shock/spring combos without airbags are static lol

RalleyTuned
01-11-2015, 07:10 PM
So they all use progressive rear springs, I'm confused on the gt3's, how are they different that the standard vogtlands? The actuning site is pretty vague, the description is identical to the standard set with the exception of the mention of progressive rear springs...

RalleyTuned
01-11-2015, 07:12 PM
KW sourced dampers? who doesnt use "KW sourced dampers"? KW uses koni inserts, but just because another company uses koni inserts, doesnt mean they use the right damper and spring combo[headbang]. vogtland is not on par with KW V2/V3. I have ridden in vogtland, and KW v2/V3 cars and I can say they are not the same. I have KW V2 BTW
I don't think anyone said they are the same as v2 or v3's...

Kw v1 is the same as the ST, but the ST uses a galvanized shock body instead of stainless. V2's were never mentioned as being the same as anything.

ray4624
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
all shock/spring combos without airbags are static lol

I mean technically any adjustable suspension isn't static.

ray4624
01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
So they all use progressive rear springs, I'm confused on the gt3's, how are they different that the standard vogtlands? The actuning site is pretty vague, the description is identical to the standard set with the exception of the mention of progressive rear springs...

Stiffer spring rate and some corrosion resistant coating

LINDW4LL
01-11-2015, 07:26 PM
KW sourced dampers? who doesnt use "KW sourced dampers"? vogtland is not on par with KW V2/V3. I have ridden in vogtland, and KW v2/V3 cars and I can say they are not the same. I have KW V2 BTW
Of course the Vogtlands aren't equivalent to V2/V3s. They will be similar to V1s as they're only height adjustable.

I'm not sure what you're on about "Who doesn't use KW-sourced dampers". Ohlins, Penske, Moton, Stasis, Bilstein, etc... all use their own dampers, not made by KW.

GrapeBandit
01-12-2015, 05:01 AM
KW doesnt make their own dampers, they are koni inserts. thats what I was told by KW

chris@fifteen52
01-12-2015, 06:12 AM
Only mk1 to mk3 VW ST kits have rear static springs, all Audi ST kits have progressive rears and some have progressive front and rears. The B5 kits have 690lb fronts and progressive rears.

Cgoon009
01-12-2015, 07:02 AM
So I think I can help here, I have owned and installed STs, Vogtlands, and Soloworks.

The Sts are a great budget coilover, they are not as stiff as other options, and make for a more comfortable ride. The spring rates are closer to stock, which is part of the reason they ride so smoothly. They are a great option for people looking to go low and maintain some comfort.

The Solowerks feel much stiffer then the Sts, (Not sure if this is spring rate or just a less ideal spring/damper match) They are a well made coilover, and work well if you are on a tight budget. They do not ride as well as the ST's or Vogtlands. But, you can go ridiculously low. Bumps are much harsher in the Solowerks.

The Vogtlands are the best set of coilovers under 1000 I have ever owned. I absolutely love them. I wish I hadn't sold them with my first B5. They were stiff, with a high spring rate, well made, and bumps felt less jarring then the solos. The car felt solid and the increased spring rate was awesome for handling.

The GT3s comes with higher spring rates in the rear, making it stiffer then the regular variant.

Currently the Avant has Solowerks, and my sedan has Stasis Tracksports. I would not recommend those. I don't like them.

Skyler@Achtuning
01-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Most lowering spring sets retail for around $200-$300-set so $100 for 2 springs isn't so bad is it? :)

Well, they are a special make up product for Achtuning (they're the exclusive seller of the GT3s), so they can charge more since they're the only ones selling them. The valving in the dampers is also changed to accompany the stiffer springs.

On top of that, you're getting a better performing product when compared to the standard Vogtlands, so they can charge a bit more. To me it's worth it to spend an extra $100 initially rather than sourcing stiffer springs after the fact for $150+.

And yes, they are progressive. 675 lbs/in normally, 760lbs/in when compressed. The STs and most other kits have progressive springs as well.

The only change is the rear springs, the valving remains the same. These were developed by Tomasz at Startup Racing about 9-10 years ago and shown to work well with no changes to the damping on the standard kit.

We are currently offering a free GT upgrade for a few more kits. Just add a GT kit to your cart and during checkout apply the coupon code "FREEGT" to bring the price back down to the standard kit.

RalleyTuned
01-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Only mk1 to mk3 VW ST kits have rear static springs, all Audi ST kits have progressive rears and some have progressive front and rears. The B5 kits have 690lb fronts and progressive rears.

Any first hand experience with a kit with all 4 progressive springs? I really like the ride quality of lowering springs because of the progressive spring rates, but need the height adjustability and want something with some nice shocks. Or do you guys have a line on a company that sells progressive springs that fit the ST's valving?

So I think I can help here, I have owned and installed STs, Vogtlands, and Soloworks.
This guys whole post should just be a sticky. Thanks for the input, sounds like for me the ST's are the best option

chris@fifteen52
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Any first hand experience with a kit with all 4 progressive springs? I really like the ride quality of lowering springs because of the progressive spring rates, but need the height adjustability and want something with some nice shocks. Or do you guys have a line on a company that sells progressive springs that fit the ST's valving?

This guys whole post should just be a sticky. Thanks for the input, sounds like for me the ST's are the best option

All of the mk5/6 VW ST kits and the A3 kits are progressive front and rear. But honestly I dont know if you would feel the difference if you went out and paid for progressive front springs as opposed to the included B5 springs.

RalleyTuned
01-12-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info, I may be hitting you up in a few weeks when the taxes get finished :)