PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak only when frigid temp

newtonhubcap
01-08-2015, 06:56 AM
I have a 98 a4 quattro with the 2.8 engine in it. Replace both valve covers. Only time the car leaks oil is when it negative degrees here in Wisconsin. I have put dabs silicone in the common area of leakage. Developmentally on the back side of the passenger head near the cam seal holder. Cam seals were replaced. Open to suggestion. Thought this may be a crankcase pressure issue.

fR3ZNO
01-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Can't see how the oil would leak only when it's cold considering it's more difficult for oil to flow through small orifices when it's cold. Could be that the VC gaskets are shrinking so much that oil leaks out when the car is started.

Is it only leaking before the car has warmed up?

newtonhubcap
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Can't see how the oil would leak only when it's cold considering it's more difficult for oil to flow through small orifices when it's cold. Could be that the VC gaskets are shrinking so much that oil leaks out when the car is started.

Is it only leaking before the car has warmed up?

Actually the motor is at full operating temperature when it starts to leak, abient temperatures we are dealing with here in Wis. are -9 below for highs and windchills to -35 below. Never had a oil leak during the summer, spring or fall.

Halfrican
01-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Strange. St. Louis was hit with blustery cold weather (nothing compared to Wisconsin) lately hovering around 10F and my 2.8 has been doing the exact same thing! The craziest thing about it is that it is leaking in multiple areas. I just ordered two valve cover gaskets with the intent of fixing the issue, but apparently it won't do much good.

Seeing as frigid weather can actually cause metal to contract I suspect minimal oil leaking from my oil filter, though it is tightened to specification and isn't very old. It could very well be our PCV system and valve cover seals.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer and I plan on getting under my car and investigating more thoroughly. I'm honestly relieved that I am not the only one experiencing this because it has left me mind-boggled.

Curious: What engine oil are you using?

fR3ZNO
01-09-2015, 05:16 AM
Actually the motor is at full operating temperature when it starts to leak, abient temperatures we are dealing with here in Wis. are -9 below for highs and windchills to -35 below. Never had a oil leak during the summer, spring or fall.

If the engine is at operating temperature, then I doubt that the metal is cold enough for it to be so contracted that it causes the gaskets to leak.

Have you checked the PCV breather hoses? I know that gunk likes to collect in there, and if it gets cold enough maybe it freezes solid and causes pressure to build up and then the oil blows through the seals due to the pressure?

seanf86
01-09-2015, 06:34 AM
Last winter on the coldest day of the year my wifes 2.8 decided to blow the oil cooler gasket. Where is the leak coming from?

Halfrican
01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Last winter on the coldest day of the year my wifes 2.8 decided to blow the oil cooler gasket. Where is the leak coming from?

Did you repair it yourself or take it to a shop?

seanf86
01-10-2015, 05:17 AM
Did you repair it yourself or take it to a shop?

I work in a shop so I got it towed there and did it. If you can take the pipe that goes through the centre of the oil cooler out it makes it so much easier, it didnt want to come out for me so I took off the coolant lines to the oil cooler and slid it right off. I was pissed $3 gasket lost $50 of oil.

On the coldest of days it would seep a little and one day she just let go and dumped all 5-6L of oil all over my brand new driveway.