PDA

View Full Version : How long do bkr7e last in your car?

ricekikr
01-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Mine fouls, depending on where i buy them, around 2-5k miles. Just want to know if mines normal or have other problems.

Are there fake bkr7e? The ones i buy from ecs last longer compared to the ones i get locally.

2.0 coils
Aeb
14-15 afr cruising
Low 11s afr boost (93+meth)
Gaps tried .25/.28/.32

B44
01-06-2015, 05:05 PM
5k is normal make sure you gap them properly. I change at 5k everytime.

LINDW4LL
01-06-2015, 05:07 PM
How can that be normal?

ray4624
01-06-2015, 05:09 PM
yea i had my last set on my car for like 35k miles lol.
Some people recommend changing them at oil change intervals but mine always look brand new.
most people run around .36 with the fsi coils

BaseDrifter
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Since they're so cheap I change them with every oil change and I keep the most recent set as a set of spares in the car.

Mad Cow
01-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Yea that's not normal. I've been running mine at nearly .41 gap with FSI coils for about 10k now and everything seems just peachy.

pbcrazy
01-06-2015, 05:42 PM
7k with a .040" gap and going strong, no reason to change them out until there is a problem (or you have them for like 50k miles) IMO

Gumby
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Since they're so cheap I change them with every oil change and I keep the most recent set as a set of spares in the car.

Same thing I do. I just change them out every oil change. (Every 4k)

LINDW4LL
01-06-2015, 05:56 PM
It seems absolutely ridiculous to change them every 5000 miles. I see no reason unless you have a massive power build.

Side note, I still have the original set (since delivery/zero miles) of OEM NGK plugs in another car, and am now at 105,000 miles with zero issues. Car has never misfired.

ray4624
01-06-2015, 06:01 PM
the main point that everyone is missing here is that the op NEEDS to change his every 5k miles.
The NEED to change them at that interval IS NOT normal. Yes, people do it but they dont have to.

Seerlah
01-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Try a different plug. Problem solved...or not. may uncover a bigger underlying issue. I like Bosch 3 prong, personally.

Corrado_Guy
01-06-2015, 06:19 PM
These plugs have a service life of 24,000 kms and they are copper core so they do erode over time and the performance will decrease. I change mine every oil change and if I leave them in longer I can see increased knock on hard runs with the older plugs when logging. Every car is different and if you are not modded then there is little point to even run them in the first place. If you are modded then do a few runs with the old plugs when logging an then swap new plugs and then log again and see if you are pulling timing or getting knock with no other changes.

Koldham
01-06-2015, 07:29 PM
if your plugs fowl doesnt that mean you are using the wrong heat plug?

pbcrazy
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
if your plugs fowl doesnt that mean you are using the wrong heat plug?

Not necessarily. Running rich, worn piston rings, blown head gasket and several other things can cause it.

ricekikr
01-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Plugs look perfect when removed (golden brown, no soot, no wear). I tried cleaning a set no change. But once new plugs are installed misfire's gone.

No timing pull. No smoke. No oil consumption. Haven't done a compression test recently. Random misfires logged in all cylinders.

Guess i do have an underlying issue. Might be weak coils caused by stock coil dwell? The last plugs i used got around 5k miles, the one installed lasted a little less than 2k before misfiring.

I used to have cold engine misfire til it was operating temp, but once boosted misfire was gone. Changed fuel pump cause the old one died, cold misfire was gone. Now its back.

Has anyone seen a wideband sensor fail where it shows a point leaner than it actually is? The aem sensor test shows a bad sensor going full lean when broken. Possibly running richer than what the gauge shows fouling the plugs.

ricekikr
01-06-2015, 11:28 PM
When it starts misfiring a full boost run would usually clear it up. Til it reaches the point that it just misfires all the time. It almost feels like the plugs arent reaching the self cleaning temp during cruising.

SN95Audi87
01-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Are these the same plugs that give you better performance in a stock car, and at WOT you able to hit redline compared to the stock 5k with plats.

pbcrazy
01-07-2015, 07:59 AM
If the plugs look good when removed, I would be suspicious of the coils especially when using low gaps like you are

B44
01-07-2015, 09:19 AM
basic knowledge is that copper heats up fast and relieves heat fast compared to platinum plugs which take longer to heat and longer to relieve heat. but this is only required if you have mods as copper and turbo cars go well when modded. if stock any plug is fine. reason being changing 5k is its a cheap insurance rather than waiting for the copper to fall off in the engine.

Phil@USP
01-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Plugs would not go bad in 5K unless there are issues. I would look at possibly the coils next.

Here are some that we offer since it looks like you are using the 2.0T FSI/TSI ones.

http://www.cdn.uspmotorsports.com/images/D/vw_ignition_service_1.JPG

Complete Ignition Service Kit (http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Complete-Ignition-Service-Kit.html?utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=engage&utm_campaign=phil) - this would include the coil packs and a set of plugs. My thought it might as well change them both out at once so you eliminate both as a problem.

Let me know if you end up trying these and then we can chase down anything else.

Phil

gearhead9992
01-07-2015, 05:02 PM
sounds like a blown head gasket to me I had a customer in a Camry had cold misfires (because it had coolant in the cylinder) and once it warmed up and burnt off the coolant and misfires went away with no smoke do a cylinder leak down test

ricekikr
01-08-2015, 07:37 PM
sounds like a blown head gasket to me I had a customer in a Camry had cold misfires (because it had coolant in the cylinder) and once it warmed up and burnt off the coolant and misfires went away with no smoke do a cylinder leak down test

Wouldnt that smoke at startup?

Phil@USP
01-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Wouldnt that smoke at startup?

Not all blown head gaskets do but you may also see a mixture of coolant and oil in the reservoir.

Check to see if your plugs come out wet from when you pull the plugs.

Phil

ricekikr
01-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Looks like it was the fuel pump wiring. Replaced terminals and cleaned up the ground. Misfire gone. Previous terminals were some thin ones that fit 8awg. Couldn't find 8awg terminals, switched them to somewhat thicker 10awg terminals, trimmed the wire a bit to fit the terminals.

Pumps a wahlbro 450.

Anyone know why this would cause this? Its wired directly to the battery using 8awg wiring, relays switched using oem pump wires. Could it draw too much current, reducing current from coils causing it to not fire and foul the plugs?

Coils/valvecover have extra grounds wired directly to battery ground.