PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket exhaust manifold for elim kit

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Hi, I am planning on getting a gt2871r elim kit for my car and was wondering about which exhaust manifold would be good. 034 motorsports has one but it's $350. But I was wondering if there were any other good cheaper options. I see there are some on eBay for $150 but I fear it having bad welds and it sending something through my turbo. So I'm asking if anyone of you guys have had any luck with eBay ones, or know of any good ones. But if I have to I would get the 034 one. I have searched and couldn't find any info.

Seerlah
01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
All high flow exhaust manifolds are cast, so no welds. And they are all crap. Port your stock one.

biketsai
01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
X2, port your stock one. It will save you so much hassle on the install too. I have the 034 and it has been fine for 4 years.

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Well when I was talking about the welded I was talking about the tubular ones on eBay. how much does it cost to port a manifold?

nynoah
01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Tubular manifolds from Ebay are good for about 3 months and crack. They are made from thin gauge piping. You can port your own manifold with a dremel. When people say port, they mean grab a gasket overlay it on the holes and port to fit that size to ensure smooth transition flow. Even then the stock one will still be fine enough. I ran the franken turbo mani on my car, but I don't think Doug sells it separate. I do know that Frankenturbo will be releasing a bigger turbo setup for the 1.8t A4s soon. So might want to wait and see what that is.

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 04:13 PM
How soon do you think for the new franken turbo set up? Yeah I was looking it up for porting, but I don't have the tools. So I was just wondering how much a machine shop would probably charge.

nynoah
01-04-2015, 04:25 PM
A machine shop would charge more than the cost of buying a dremel tool. If that little cost is too much, then just run it stock.

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 04:32 PM
No it's not that. Just seeing which one would be more cost effective. I'll check prices for a dremel. I actually work at home depot.

EErie B6
01-04-2015, 04:42 PM
There was a Euro model that came off the BEX code engine that was a little more robust with a little larger ports.

Last I knew the Frankenturbo one was the only aftermarket that did not crack.

nynoah
01-04-2015, 05:03 PM
My franken turbo cracked

EErie B6
01-04-2015, 05:27 PM
My franken turbo cracked

awe [:(]

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Ordered a air grinder kit. Also looked up a video and found a guy who was using a flex hone to do it also. So thanks for the replies. Any of you guys going to sowo this year?

Seerlah
01-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Just use a welding stone in a power drill. Cheap and works. Just don't take off too much material. Using an air grinder would allow you to get more inside.

A1 A2 German
01-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Go with the Ebay equel length tubular manifold ($175ish).

Throw the oem in the trash and forget all those cast manifolds.

With a gt2871r Elim it's flippen awesome, 4+ years.

Seerlah
01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
I thought you had a good one (reputable company) shipped from the UK?

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 07:06 PM
I thought you had a good one (reputable company) shipped from the UK?

sure he said JBS(UK company) knockoff. I have the same mani he has, I will be installing it next week. hope it lasts more than a few months before it cracks. lol

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Do you guys have a link to the manifold you are referring to?

Seerlah
01-04-2015, 08:12 PM
The real one isn't so cheap. Knock off isn't.

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Do you guys have a link to the manifold you are referring to?

go to ebay. type audi 1.8 manifold in the search bar. Select sort lowest to highest price. you will see it between $140-$160

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Okay yeah I see those. I found this one. http://m.ebay.com/itm/381112873586?nav=SEARCH

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Okay yeah I see those. I found this one. http://m.ebay.com/itm/381112873586?nav=SEARCH
thats it!
http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1360

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Okay cool, I'll add this to my list of stuff I need to purchase soon.

A1 A2 German
01-04-2015, 08:55 PM
There's one problem with running the GT2871r elim, it's that you've now eliminated the oem turbo brace. Running a system with out a turbo brace is a big no no and puts all the stress on the neck of any manifold. I went three years with out running one however I shouldn't have. There's a net little trick and if you can't weld any weld shop can do it for ~$20. Between the kkk flange and the exhaust port flange is a ~1" gap....all you do is have a ~1" piece of steel welding the two together. This way the weakest point (the turbo flange) is now shored up and not just hanging out in thin air holding the entire weight on the turbo, intake system, dv, and on just hanging off it. I would also do a turbo brace from underneath too.

If you go back to this page, 1st pic and blow it up: http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1360

You'll see the second runner from the right and the most bottom bolt hole on the turbo flange. You weld in a ~1" steel bar from the flange by that second runner to the turbo flange around the lower bolt hole.

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 09:03 PM
There's one problem with running the GT2871r elim, it's that you've now eliminated the oem turbo brace. Running a system with out a turbo brace is a big no no and puts all the stress on the neck of any manifold. I went three years with out running one however I shouldn't have. There's a net little trick and if you can't weld any weld shop can do it for ~$20. Between the kkk flange and the exhaust port flange is a ~1" gap....all you do is have a ~1" piece of steel welding the two together. This way the weakest point (the turbo flange) is now shored up and not just hanging out in thin air holding the entire weight on the turbo, intake system, dv, and on just hanging off it. I would also do a turbo brace from underneath too.

If you go back to this page, 1st pic and blow it up: http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1360

You'll see the second runner from the right and the most bottom bolt hole on the turbo flange. You weld in a ~1" steel bar from the flange by that second runner to the turbo flange around the lower bolt hole.

mine has a brace between the 1st and 2nd runners. it bolts to the manifold. does yours have that too?

Davdraco1
01-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Grape you like that ssac mani? I thought these mani's were crap???

A1 A2 German
01-04-2015, 09:10 PM
mine has a brace between the 1st and 2nd runners. it bolts to the manifold. does yours have that too?

Oh yes, I forget about that. It does come with a brace, I went ahead and did the 1" thick 1" long steel brace welded to the flange too as well kept the brace in place. Those Allen's Grape love to back out, so possibly safety wire them (as I do not believe lock tight will survive the heat).

Mad Cow
01-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Looks like that ebay one already has a brace:
http://sddimage.com/sdd/TM-PASSAT-K03.jpg.

I love it when knockoff manufacturers start doing their own R&D.

jsbs1991
01-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Okay. So get it or just port the stock one? What are your guys opinions on this?

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Grape you like that ssac mani? I thought these mani's were crap???
the ssautochrome ones are the same as the ebay ones, they all come from the chinese supplier. lol. as of yet, idk if they are crap, I didnt install it yet to see how long it lasts before it cracks. only time will tell. A1 A2 said hes been running his for 4+yrs with no issues.

Oh yes, I forget about that. It does come with a brace, I went ahead and did the 1" thick 1" long steel brace welded to the flange too as well kept the brace in place. Those Allen's Grape love to back out, so possibly safety wire them (as I do not believe lock tight will survive the heat).yea you are probably right. ill see what happens and take it from there. ill try a shit load of loctite first.

Okay. So get it or just port the stock one? What are your guys opinions on this?
I pulled the trigger on mine because I found it new for $100 from some local kid on Craigslist. I think he sold it because he probably couldn't figure out how to install it. lol. his loss my gain[up]

you will also need to get rid of your stock oil feed line and use a stainless steel braided line. make sure you get a 12mm flex socket to reach the manifold bolts

Davdraco1
01-04-2015, 09:57 PM
How long is the needed oil feed line? And what fittings? This sounds plausible now

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 10:01 PM
How long is the needed oil feed line? And what fittings? This sounds plausible now
I think the SS braided line I had for my gt35r was 4 feet. im going to measure it tomorrow and make a new one because the fittings are different and dont work on my k04.

fittings should be -4an on both ends of the line

Davdraco1
01-04-2015, 10:08 PM
And it bolts right in? Where does the other end go to? Sorry for all the questions but I'll never know if I don't ask :)

Also I just looked for more mani's, what about the "high flow" log manifold like the god speed one? How would that stack if you ported that?

GrapeBandit
01-04-2015, 10:14 PM
And it bolts right in? Where does the other end go to? Sorry for all the questions but I'll never know if I don't ask :)

Also I just looked for more mani's, what about the "high flow" log manifold like the god speed one? How would that stack if you ported that?
if you follow the stock oil feed hard line back around the head you will see. lol...it goes to the oil cooler on the driver side of the engine right umder the intake manifold

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 01:00 PM
just measured it, its 4' long. it would also be a good time to install oil pressure gauge.

nunya
01-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Oh yes, I forget about that. It does come with a brace, I went ahead and did the 1" thick 1" long steel brace welded to the flange too as well kept the brace in place. Those Allen's Grape love to back out, so possibly safety wire them (as I do not believe lock tight will survive the heat).

http://www.stage8.com/

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 04:26 PM
http://www.stage8.com/
these wont work on the 2 allen bolts we are talking about

Davdraco1
01-05-2015, 04:37 PM
just measured it, its 4' long. it would also be a good time to install oil pressure gauge.

Any suggestion on a guage? I'm not sure how they install and don't know what to look for.

ray4624
01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
stick with mechanical.
Just a VDO or something would be fine.
Make sure it goes to 100psi

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Any suggestion on a guage? I'm not sure how they install and don't know what to look for.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393352-1-8T-Oil-Pressure-Sender-Install-Write-Up
this writeup covers both 06a and 058 engines.

stick with mechanical.
Just a VDO or something would be fine.
Make sure it goes to 100psi
oil pressure gauge is the last gauge you want on the inside of your car thats mechanical. you get electrical with the sender that hook to the oil line.

I ran the autometer oil pressure gauge for a long time with no issues, accurate too. vdo is also fine.

ray4624
01-05-2015, 04:48 PM
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/393352-1-8T-Oil-Pressure-Sender-Install-Write-Up
this writeup covers both 06a and 058 engines.

oil pressure gauge is the last gauge you want on the inside of your car thats mechanical. you get electrical with the sender that hook to the oil line.

I ran the autometer oil pressure gauge for a long time with no issues, accurate too. vdo is also fine.

Yea idk what i was thinking lol. The Vdo I have is electronic. I think it's time for a nap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Yea idk what i was thinking lol. The Vdo I have is electronic. I think it's time for a nap.

haha. it happens. google mechanical oil pressure gauge fail. you will have hot oil all inside your car, some melt the dash while other even go as far as starting a fire...lol

ray4624
01-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I can imagine that wouldn't be good.

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 04:55 PM
I can imagine that wouldn't be good.

I cant find any pics. I know they are somewhere. there was even a thread on here a few years back that talked about this. I think walky_talky posted the pics

BaseDrifter
01-05-2015, 05:32 PM
This is the picture I always post when mechanical oil pressure gauges come up.

http://i.imgur.com/ulwKYxN.jpg

I'm running a Glowshift Elite 10 electric oil pressure gauge and it's been great.

GrapeBandit
01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
^pfft..my point exactly lol

Davdraco1
01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
How are the aftermarket log manifolds? I'm talking with someone that used a godspeed one with a ko4 and said he loved it

gmx
01-05-2015, 09:05 PM
There was a Euro model that came off the BEX code engine that was a little more robust with a little larger ports.

Last I knew the Frankenturbo one was the only aftermarket that did not crack.

Thought it wasn't actually larger. One of the members (was it you or a close member to you? lol) held a set of verniers to AMB & BEX ports and the results were... surprising.

The FT manifold is likely the same foundry/cast as those ebay ones. All the same, all crap, no little divider in the collector, completely crap. A few europeans have gone with that tubular one and redone some of the welds with good results. Other than that it's hit/miss.

ray4624
01-05-2015, 09:07 PM
just pointing out that its been a year on a stock manifold/gt2871 elim combo and i cant complan.
full boost around 3800rpm (moderate tune) and i dont think you can beat the ease of install of the stock manifold.
They are a dime a dozen to replace aswell if something did happen to it.

Davdraco1
01-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Do you think the aftermarket log manifolds like the apr and FT make a huge difference?

ray4624
01-05-2015, 09:18 PM
ft is an ebay manifold plain and simple.
i wouldnt waste my money on a aftermarket manifold for the eliminator/ko4/ko3
The ft is an egt whore and claims the needed high flowmanifold so it doesnt hand grenade
The 150 can be used towards much more useful things.
it looks like grape got a deal on his...dont blame him for grabbing it.
a friend had one of the tubular manifolds...it looked cool and thats about it.
Tubular manifolds dont help spool...they hurt it. They excel in the high end but were talking about a k04 here...how much more are you going to get out of it?
As for the regular highflow manifolds...no thanks..there are like 2 people who havent had them crack, its a bitch to keep them tight and a pain to install.

its late at work and i cant really form coherent thoughts...sorry

A1 A2 German
01-06-2015, 06:08 PM
ft is an ebay manifold plain and simple.
i wouldnt waste my money on a aftermarket manifold for the eliminator/ko4/ko3
The ft is an egt whore and claims the needed high flowmanifold so it doesnt hand grenade
The 150 can be used towards much more useful things.
it looks like grape got a deal on his...dont blame him for grabbing it.
a friend had one of the tubular manifolds...it looked cool and thats about it.
Tubular manifolds dont help spool...they hurt it. They excel in the high end but were talking about a k04 here...how much more are you going to get out of it?
As for the regular highflow manifolds...no thanks..there are like 2 people who havent had them crack, its a bitch to keep them tight and a pain to install.

its late at work and i cant really form coherent thoughts...sorry

Gt2871r Elim on SS (Ebay) tubular manifold.

You see full boost at 3800rpm....that's terriable....try instant like a K04 and all the way to 8200rpm rev limiter with no drop off. Everyone should look up my : Wake up your Ko5-015 : thread.

Super Sport's, Boss's, C63 AMG's, 335i (modded)...I've taken them down and 100% stock motor. All those G37's and M3's are a complete waste of time. Our cars are just stupid with that manifold. It's so awesomly stupid I don't even know if my even bigger 3" .64 turbo will touch it & even duplicating the same system for another car.

And with a Ko4....well...just look at that thread. M3's were still no problem.

GrapeBandit
01-06-2015, 07:20 PM
^link to said thread? its not in your thread started list and it doesnt show if I type that in the audizine search bar

ray4624
01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
im not saying 3800rpm is fantastic...im just saying you wont see much better with any of the variations of manifolds out there other then a full frame.
also what were you getting at? That the tubular manifold is the best option?
id love to see dyno results between the two...if its really that much better spool ill eat my words and order one now lol.

edit: heres the thread
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4807454-Wake-Up-Your-Ko4-015/page2

A1 A2 German
01-06-2015, 08:41 PM
im not saying 3800rpm is fantastic...im just saying you wont see much better with any of the variations of manifolds out there other then a full frame.
also what were you getting at? That the tubular manifold is the best option?
id love to see dyno results between the two...if its really that much better spool ill eat my words and order one now lol.

edit: heres the thread
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4807454-Wake-Up-Your-Ko4-015/page2

Thanks for posting the link. Trust me man, the difference is night and day. I had the KO4 with the general supporting goodies with the stock manifold, with the install of this it was quite a difference (hence that thread I made 5 years ago). From there I figured well dam, this is fun, what would a GT2871R Elmi do? Well, it's pretty awesome. As stated in that thread the pita is that the entire assembly must be removed and added as one unit (turbo and manifold together), which kinda sucks. You also will need to convert to allen bolts and use a 12" allen socket to join the two.

ray4624
01-06-2015, 08:55 PM
so youre running a 2871elim now on that manifold?
Where do you see full boost (25psi i assume?)

A1 A2 German
01-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Been running it for ~3 years.

Boost is instant like a Ko4-015 with zero tapering off and boost to rev limiter, running ~18-20psi.

Power is the very second you hit the gas and does not let off till rev limiter, shift and repeat.

Say you are in first, driving a constant 10-15mph through a parking lot, nailing the gas you'll roast the tires and shoot off....there is zero lag....zero waiting. I've only had one other system like this on a built 1.9L 8V with a Turbonectics To4-B which is full power all the time. It's the unicorn system and what I'm putting in the next 20v too...that is if I can ever find another Gt2871R Elim that's reasonably priced...dam they are tough to find.

ray4624
01-06-2015, 09:27 PM
sounds pretty legit.
next time you are messing around see where exactly you hit 20psi?
Im going to be limiting my boost to somewhere around there so i can keep my foot in it on a stock block.