PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm Q. for DIYers

RedRocket
09-07-2005, 08:56 AM
I was wondering what tools you guys have used for the bolt that holds the lower control arms to the subframe. I got on the first lower and stopped. Here's what happened.

I know you can drop the subframe and use a socket on the outside and a wrench to hold the inside. But I was thinking of taking a short cut kinda. So someone tell me if this would work.

Passenger Side rear lower arm:
===================
Get two 18mm wrenches and losen the bolt. Pull it out as far as possible and chop it in it half.

Reinstall the new bolt from the inside. This way the break lines do not get in the way of that bolt. You will still not be able to get a socket on the nut to use a torque wrench on it.

I got in there and did the uppers this Sunday, no problem. But I was stuck on the lowers. Because of this so I decided to abort mission. It's $300 CAD + %15 Tax for labour at the dealer here.

Any suggestions, input?

Daft
09-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Well, the bolt/nut is a locking style so, you might be able to get away with installing it backwards but, I didn't want to find out.

It is a pain in the ass to have to loosen all those subframe bolts to get the bolt out but, you shouldn't have to do it again.

You only have to loosen the driver's side bolts a little bit, the passenger side bolts and that trans mount are the ones that really need loosening:

http://www.hostdub.com/albums/turbo90awd/Subframe_bolts.gif

RedRocket
09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Thanks Daft, I think I'll stop beign a sissy and just drop the subframe. I gotta get a joint seperator first.

What did you use to hold the bolt on the inside of the subframe? A normal wrench right?

Daft
09-08-2005, 04:16 AM
I just bought a pack of metric crowsfeet from Sears. So, you'll need the 18mm crowsfoot.

RedRocket
09-08-2005, 08:09 AM
I got the crows foot, the stubby, long 1/2" drive and short 3/8" drive 18mm. I guess that should do....

snoop
09-08-2005, 01:30 PM
get stuck in man, gotta love those germans, changed control arms on my car twice now, once for new then for powerflex bushes. its not to bad. [wrench]